Fixes for TF Animated figures

Jin Saotome

Nice fixes. I'm going to have to do that fix once i get Grimlock. I already did the fix for Screamer, Prowl, and BB (the only ones I have). Would anyone actually recommend Voyager Megs? i'm thinkin about getting him, but i need to know your opinion.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesterday, my BlackArachnia grappler got jammed, so I had to spend thirty minutes figuring out how to re-assemble it so that the clockworks all worked right. Here's the "easiest" way I figured out to re-set it. i'll try to get pictures later, as I realized (while typing this post) that if I pre-tension the string it'll snap back 100% instead of partly.

BA's grapple has the following parts:

2 shell halves, held together by a plastic snap-lock and a miniature phillips screw. One half has a square indent on the inside and two prongs with a slit between them where the grapple line comes out.

A ratchet pin, that looks like a quarter-circle attached to a pole, with a spring.

A central pin with a square head and a notch cut down the center of the pin.

The spring device, a cylinder with a metal coil on the inside. The grapple line will be attached to this, ending in the grapple itself.

A circular disk with two small protusions.

The trick with this is that the spring is in its natural state when the string is 100% retracted. That way, when you pull out the grapple line, the spring suddenly wants to retract back to neutral. This makes assembly a pain, because you must assemble it so that the string is coiled! Here's how you go about doing that.

1) Place the shell half with the square indentation in it on the table, so that you can see the indentation (which is on the inside of the shell).

2) Place the ratchet pin into its hole on the casing (the bigger of the two holes, the other is for the screw), so that the spring is against the shell wall. The ratcheting part of the pin should be flush with the bottom of the shell when you put pressure on it. It will look like an L. It can only go in there one way. Also, the spring will want to force the pin out of the hole, so just approximate. If it won't stay in there, make sure it is in there by step 5.

3) Place the square-headed pin into the indentation on the shell. The groove in the pin should be pointing towards the opening on the side.

4) Wind the line around the string as much as you can. In the center of the spring coil, there is a straight metal piece. This will be placed into the groove of the pin. If the pin isn't aligned right, just switch the groove's direction. The spring will go on in such a way that the plastic disk side (which you can't see the metal spring in) will be facing downwards, so that it is in contact with the ratchet pin. If you wish more tension, just adjust the pin and the spring accordingly. However, make sure the grapple line goes into the slot going out the side of the shell. (This part needs pictures the most, I wager.)

From here on out, the ratchet pin will be under pressure, and want to dislodge everything. Be sure to hold it in such a way that everything stays in place, or it'll be a pain later. You can test to make sure everything works properly as well at this point.

5) Put the disk with the two notches into the spring device, so that it is flush. The notches on the disk will line up with two of the four notches in the spring.

6) Carefully put the second shell half into position. Make sure the ratchet pin is in its hole properly, then latch the plastic lock together.

7) Attach the screw, tighten.

It should be good now if it ever breaks! I think that this rotary spring mechanism is used in pretty much all of hasbro's grappling lines, but I couldn't tell you with 100% certainty. You can also see upon opening it that there really isn't enough room to lengthen the grapple, which sucks.

Voyager Optimus Prime's legs can rotate below the knee, but not above. There's already a rotating joint above the knee, but its rotation is blocked by the triangular-shaped extension of the front thigh half. Just take the thigh apart, cut off that triangular piece, put it back together, and glue the piece to the top of the knee. Now he has more poseable legs. HTH!

How're his arms on yours? Granted both weapons are heavy, the elbow joints on mine are too weak to hold up either weapon. :fail

With the elbow hinges being held in by pins. Anyone got ideas on what to do about making them stiff enough to hold up the gun at least?

Voyager Optimus Prime's legs can rotate below the knee, but not above. There's already a rotating joint above the knee, but its rotation is blocked by the triangular-shaped extension of the front thigh half. Just take the thigh apart, cut off that triangular piece, put it back together, and glue the piece to the top of the knee. Now he has more poseable legs. HTH!

How're his arms on yours? Granted both weapons are heavy, the elbow joints on mine are too weak to hold up either weapon. :fail

With the elbow hinges being held in by pins. Anyone got ideas on what to do about making them stiff enough to hold up the gun at least?

I think the superglue/nailpolish thing still works. take the pin out, apply a very thin coat of one of the two and let dry. Put the pin back in and vuala! If that doesn't work, see if you can make anything outa this. look familiar?

Nice fixes. I'm going to have to do that fix once i get Grimlock. I already did the fix for Screamer, Prowl, and BB (the only ones I have). Would anyone actually recommend Voyager Megs? i'm thinkin about getting him, but i need to know your opinion.

Overall, I love my voyager Megs. :)

I've got a couple mods in mind to "fix" the way his cannon sets on his arm, so the only real "problem" I have with him is the extremely lame "sword" gimmick; the red blades both flip into a single red blade that runs the length of the bottom of the cannon, which really gives it no functionality at all.

It would've worked much better if maybe the cannon's barrel (the entire front half of the cannon, 'cause of the missile-launcher inside it) flipped back to rest on top of the back half, while the blades flipped forward to form a dual-bladed melee weapon. I might look into ways to mod it to do that, but I don't have much hope for it.

Overall, I love my voyager Megs. :)

I've got a couple mods in mind to "fix" the way his cannon sets on his arm, so the only real "problem" I have with him is the extremely lame "sword" gimmick; the red blades both flip into a single red blade that runs the length of the bottom of the cannon, which really gives it no functionality at all.

It would've worked much better if maybe the cannon's barrel (the entire front half of the cannon, 'cause of the missile-launcher inside it) flipped back to rest on top of the back half, while the blades flipped forward to form a dual-bladed melee weapon. I might look into ways to mod it to do that, but I don't have much hope for it.

As much as people recommend him, I think I'll pass. The reason is that I'm only trying to get one variation of each character (excepting a few) and I'm not the wealthiest person on this board.

I'd say go with the Leader Megs. It looks :awsum ! Plus, it's the form he appears the most in!

Yea, I was definitely going to get him.

found a good fix for the 2 pack megatron

ultibingn8.jpg

i found a good one too.

1. buy the 2 pack

2. buy cybertron Optimus Prime

3. switch Optimus Primes

4. return 2 pack with cybertron Optimus Prime

:beer

that crappy Megatron broke in less than 24 hrs. i'd say about 6.

:ghey

and it was awful anyway.

Archived