Most disappointing TF

Calcifer

Titanium Cobra Megatron. Junk. First transformer I ever intentionally destroyed. I put my green G2-esque DVD 2pack Megs on his stand, and am much happier. Piece of crap, still get mad thinking about collapsible crotch Megs.

Before that, G1 Quickswitch. Annoying, not quick, plus whats with the pinkish flesh creature face?

Before that, Wheelie. Ugly, goofy, nothing like the cartoon, which should have been easy to do. Plus, I despised him for taking Bumblebee's place. Plus he had to rhyme. Wheelie was the harbinger of doom and bringer of the apocalypse for G1. After he started showing up on TV, I wouldn't watch the show where other people could see me. Little ghey autistic weinermobile...

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Haven't bought it yet, but I will eventually. Animated Soundwave. I was looking through the panel pictures, and I was loving the designs, both toy-wise and just design-wise. As such, I was getting excited for my favorite Transformer of all time, Soundwave. Who has a guitar that turns into Laserbeak. Badass. So finally I get to it... and it's crap. I don't care for the choice of alt-mode, but the robot-mode just looks awful. HIS ARMS SHOULDN'T GO DOWN TO HIS FEET.

He better have a decent head, though. If he doesn't, I'll be rather peeved.

Those long arms are so he can WHAIL on that guitar my friend! I wonder if he comes with a waa waa pedal? ^_^

G1 - Terrorcon Blot. Transforms from robot to...something with feet...and back again! But even as a kid I couldn't expect too much from a combiner limb.

BW - Transmetal 2 Scourge and Optimus Minor. Just uggghhhh.

Heeeeeey, what's that about Blot?!

Oh, and can you be a bit more specific on Scourge? I actually really want the figure someday.

Transmetal 2 Scourge actually isn't all that bad looking.. tall for a deluxe size due to freakishly long legs. Though he's one of those guys I could probably never get back into a locust again.

Kind of a mishmash, but it's a TM2 .. and thats kind of how they were designed to look.

Thats just my take on the guy though. :tfgrin

The most disapointing for me was Armada Optimus Prime, his Super robot mode, truck and trailer combined. It was just pants! Huge chunky, unmoveable legs. Crapy sound effect. I'd only just started collecting TFs at that point and his Super mode was a real let down.

I agree 100%. Seems like RID/Armada/Energon had 3 consecutive sucky Optimus Primes. It wasn't until Galaxy Force/Cybertron that this trend was broken. Still, that's feint praise.

That's actualy a realy good point Slaughtermaster. We're a bit short on the ground when it comes to good Optimus Primes. Cybertron was the first that was what I would call a good fig. Energon was a joke, IMO. Armada ok, until he combined. I've never seen a RiD, but I didn't like the styling at all, I know lots of other fans like it though. Ti, again I don't own one, but reports general state he's a bit floppy, although the styling's good. MP is just so much awesomeness it beggers belief, but I don't class MPs as "toys" as more models, collectors items. "Bendy" delux Armada I don't mind actualy, wereas Classics is a great action figure. Not sure what people are saying about Movie Op as I try to avoid the movie pages for fear of spoilers (us Brits have only just got the film).

So, what, that's less than half the Optimus Prime's we've had aren't up to scratch, in one way or another? Not good. Not good for the primary character of the Transformers world?

So, what, that's less than half the Optimus Prime's we've had aren't up to scratch, in one way or another? Not good. Not good for the primary character of the Transformers world?

They've made so many freakin Optimus toys that there were bound to be some losers in the batch. Whenever they remake Optimus they try to bring something new to his design, and not all of their experiments work.

Ugh, mine broke right out of the box. The tab that holds the right shoulder in place popped off the first time I TF'd it. And of course it was the last one I could find in town.

Mine broke in the exact same way and in the same place (if you mean his right shoulder, and not the right one from your perspective). I heard in someone's video review of the toy that some of them actually had the pegs glued to the body from the factory, and I think that was the case with mine (the remains of the peg appear to be glued inside the hole). I can't find any other ones in town, of course. I don't even like the figure very much -- it's by far my least favorite movie figure -- and this just made it worse.

BW Rhinox. It is only due to the fact that the gun has the peg on the wrong side, and the dumb mutant mask makes him look like has huge ears. One of my favorite characters from BW and I felt that he really got jipped on the toy due to the gimic that would never be.

Optimus Prime is only one of the two primary figures of the Transformers Universe. Megatron had his share of bad designs, too, but I'd argue that his design problems stretched during the A/E/C era. All his robot forms looked great, but his Alt modes were either too simplistic (i.e. his Armada and Energon versions) or just fugly (I don't think the designers were even trying when they made his Cybertron alt modes). Then again, Cybertron Optimus Prime's alt modes, if you can call them that, were just as bad. Classics sort of solved that problem. Megatron just kicked ass all the way, while Optimus Prime looked okay in both of its modes (I thought Hot Rod/Rodimus and Starscream were the real must haves of the Classic line).

Beast Machines Supreme Cheator, anybody ever get him to stand up in robot mode?

To be fair, Supreme Cheetor wasn't really a Transformer.

Beast Machines Supreme Cheator, anybody ever get him to stand up in robot mode?

To be fair, Supreme Cheetor wasn't really a Transformer.

In my opinion, neither are ANY of the beastformers who just "Stand up on their hind legs, flip the head forward or back, and stick the tail in the hand as a sword". That really began as a Beast Wars thing, and it's just plain lazy IMHO.

Oh, Energon Insecticon was another disappointment (though I didn't really pay "full" price, I got the Universe version at a Family Dollar). Decent bug mode, and his robot mode LOOKS good... until you go to pose him, and find out that most minicons have more articulation. So out of four Basic size Terrorcon molds, we got three disappointments (two "lazy", transforms and Insecticon) and one surprisingly awesome fig (that bird mold rawks).

Archived