The Bond Gadget Test

He said the size wasn't the factor!

I"VE GOT IT! He should turn into a speaker system at a rock concert. A GIANT Stereo.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The size of the alt mode isn't the factor, that is the camouflage. The alt mode itself, that being a recording and playback device, or in the case of a stereo system, portable DVD play, or laptop computer, a transciever and multimedia system. Those would,greately enhance his ability to do his primary function and blend in anywherebecause they are also much less conspicuous than a communications van, and would allow Megatron direct access to those communications. That is because all Soundwave needs to do is project or play back the data or message, and which he would not have if all that equipment was inside a vehicle alt mode. A vehicle mode does absolutely nothing for Soundwave and doesn't really fit his character. Secondly, The Decepticons in the movie are a special operations "A-Team". Therefore, combat is part of the territory, including for the Command staff. And, given Soundwave's postion, Robot mode size equals power and respect. He doesn't need to specifically be a stereo, there are tow other options, the portable DVD player and the laptop, though the laptop would be harder to transform because it is almost completely flat. Each of these devices is innocuous,ubiquitous pieces of multi-media equipment which easily disguise his other surveylance features and can play back recorded data directly for Megatron. The only advantage of a van is it is a mobile alt mode. Soundwave does not need that. It serves no purpose for him to have a vehicle mode. He can do more with an alt mode which is an electronic device than as a vehicle. All the other Decepticons have vehicle modes which directly corrispond with, and enhance their given functions. A vehicle mode would do absolutely nothing for Soundwave.

Now here's the big issue on the tiny alt mode. So Soundwave can use it to, quote, "blend in anywhere", how would he GET "anywhere". I presume he'll walk around in bot mode, or somehow fling himself into another Decepticon while transforming. But what about inside a building, since that's so vital for him to get to as you say? I'd notice a 30 foot sized robot hole in MY doorway, and I think expecting every doorway and room in every building to be 40 feet high a larger strain on the suspension of disbelief than a 30 foot robot turning into a 4 pound piece of outdated electronics that actually doesn't do the tasks you think it does.

He said the size wasn't the factor!

I"VE GOT IT! He should turn into a speaker system at a rock concert. A GIANT Stereo.

Sure he could, but that would only work at a rock concert. By shrinking down into the size of a portable piece of electronic equipment, he can work anywhere compltely inconspicuously.

Exept then he needs magic shrinky.

As for the alt mode... I was in the USMC as a 2621 manual Morse Intercept / Signals Intelligence, with a secondary as Intercept Analyst / Electronic Warfare. The BEST alt mode for such a situation would be a modified command LAV with various antennae. I worked with such a vehicle, and it would make FAR more sense, story-wise, than a tape player. His minions could be the various specific radios and other comms gear within the vehicle, and the rear exit hatch could be his chest "tape door".

This makes a LOT more sense than shrinking down to a tape player.

You want stealth? Bafflers to silence the engine and some form of active camoflage (like the Military is working on RIGHT NOW) make MUCH more sense than the absolute power waste of mass shifting.

When you get right down to it, mass shifting is one of the biggest wastes of energy possible for a mechanical life form. And I'm normally an advocate of mass shifting in less realistic mediums, such as the G1 cartoon (though I normally use the 'mass shunting' variant in my personal theories). it was, after all, far more superheroic than realistic. Case in point: Windcharger's magnetics. Scientifically, all he should be able to do is pull metallic things towards him or push them away (or perhaps unleash an electromagnetic pulse, but unless he was shielded he'd fry himself, too). This would suffice for the episode where they replicated the Stunticons, but does NOT for MTMTE part 3, where he attempts to control Optimus Prime's fall.

The size of the alt mode isn't the factor, that is the camouflage. The alt mode itself, that being a recording and playback device, or in the case of a stereo system, portable DVD play, or laptop computer, a transciever and multimedia system. Those would,greately enhance his ability to do his primary function and blend in anywherebecause they are also much less conspicuous than a communications van, and would allow Megatron direct access to those communications. That is because all Soundwave needs to do is project or play back the data or message, and which he would not have if all that equipment was inside a vehicle alt mode. A vehicle mode does absolutely nothing for Soundwave and doesn't really fit his character. Secondly, The Decepticons in the movie are a special operations "A-Team". Therefore, combat is part of the territory, including for the Command staff. And, given Soundwave's postion, Robot mode size equals power and respect. He doesn't need to specifically be a stereo, there are tow other options, the portable DVD player and the laptop, though the laptop would be harder to transform because it is almost completely flat. Each of these devices is innocuous,ubiquitous pieces of multi-media equipment which easily disguise his other surveylance features and can play back recorded data directly for Megatron. The only advantage of a van is it is a mobile alt mode. Soundwave does not need that. It serves no purpose for him to have a vehicle mode. He can do more with an alt mode which is an electronic device than as a vehicle. All the other Decepticons have vehicle modes which directly corrispond with, and enhance their given functions. A vehicle mode would do absolutely nothing for Soundwave.

Okay, this is getting ridiculous. How on Earth or Cybertron is a stereo system supposed to "project" ANYTHING other than sound? It has no input device other than a microphone--if you're lucky--so sound would be all you get, and it doesn't have anything other than speakers built in for output. Some sort of antenna or direct wire would be necessary, which would most assuredly NOT be inconspicuous in a high-security government institution. The DVD player doesn't even have that--its only input is the DVD tray. The DVD player is just as flat as the laptop as well, and smaller overall so there'd be no room to hide whatever he's using to gather data. The laptop has the necessary hardware intrinsically--Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, various connector ports--for both input and output, but as you say it's too flat to properly transform into a believable robot unless you use cartoon-style cheats.

Also, why DOES he need to be 30' tall? If he can power complex communications systems as a 1'x1'x0.25' box, why can't he power a neutron laser as a 2' tall robot? Plus, being smaller, it's easier to hide, right? Therefore why bother with the 30' size at all? But, as you say, size isn't a factor. That's why we're arguing about mass shifting, right?

Tramp -- Answer me this:

Every Transformer has a communication system in his body, somewhere - many take up multiple parts throughout the body - like Optimus Prime had a built-in headset, arm monitor + relay, and even had an extra transmission antennae. So if every TF can have a communications system built within their body - WHY NOT give Soundwave the ultimate Communications System in his robot body - full with a broadcasting satellite attached to his back/shoulder and multiple antennea for transmitting and recieving information???

He could be any mobile alternate mode he wants - just while in robot mode he is the hub of Decepticon communications. He could even have Frenzy be the spy (which we already know Frenzy is), and then Frenzy comes to him to relay all the messages (just like Ravage & Laserbeak used to do). Soundwave could be any mobile and self-sufficient alt. mode he wants then, without relying on being a mass-shifting TF with a non-mobile alt mode.

Also remember HOW is Soundwave gonna get into places being a huge robot to spy on anyone?? He'd have to have someone like Frenzy sneak him into a building. So Frenzy AUTOMATICALLY makes that easier to do and is gonna have to sneak in anyways. Soundwave can't fly or jump transform through an open window and land on a shelf everytime he wants to mass-shift into stereo or laptop or cd player mode. Remember this IS NOT a cartoon - Soundwave can't always somehow infiltrate a warehouse or building with 40-50 foot tall ceilings - think of how many place you know that have ceilings taller than 10-15 feet. The movie logic can NOT be treated the same as cartoon logic. Just keep in mind that movie logic and cartoon logic can NOT crossover too much before the audience stops paying attention and views it as cheating. There are certain ground rules - I don't presume to know them all - but I just do NOT see a need for Mass-Shifting Soundwave in the Sequels. I've yet to hear a reason that doesn't have a better use for Frenzy or some other 'Con that uses no mass-shifting - they can accomplish those reasons. The samller TFs can even report to Soundwave who analyizes and compiles them to report to Megatron.

Now here's the big issue on the tiny alt mode. So Soundwave can use it to, quote, "blend in anywhere", how would he GET "anywhere". I presume he'll walk around in bot mode, or somehow fling himself into another Decepticon while transforming. But what about inside a building, since that's so vital for him to get to as you say? I'd notice a 30 foot sized robot hole in MY doorway, and I think expecting every doorway and room in every building to be 40 feet high a larger strain on the suspension of disbelief than a 30 foot robot turning into a 4 pound piece of outdated electronics that actually doesn't do the tasks you think it does.

How did he get into those places in the cartoons? I don't think he just walked in. The original character is supposed to have short range telepathic abilities. He can read minds. This means he can also plant suggestions subliminally. In other words, he can use a human dupe to carry him inside, or use Frenzy under the cover of night. He certainly couldn't get inside a building if he were a vehicle either.

The other advantage of Mass conversion is that it doesn't have to directly tie into his transformation at all times. In other words, If he needs to maintain his full size in alt mode, such as when he is with Megatron, he still can. He has done so in the past. It could also mean that, if the situation required it, he could, conceivably, maintain a small size in robot mode if necessary, though, that woudl not be the ideal use, and we have never intentionally seen him do this in the past.

Say all that again in english. NOTHING has ever said he could plant suggestions. You've got to stop justifing magic shrinky transformers with fanfic nonseence.