soundwave

phill smith

i hope he transforms into an F117 stealth plane as i think that suits him pretty well (solitary reconaisance etc) ans laserbeak could be a predator drone or something similar

... because F-117s are used for recon all the time.

But really, for recon amongst normal humans, something we'd see everyday would be much more effective. Barricade and Frenzy were the only effective recon the Decepticons had in the first movie, and if Soundwave is to fit the recon role, he'll need to be something fairly common.

Actually though, I like the idea of Sam buying Soundwave and using him to record notes. It's a more plausable reason for Sam to have him than anything G1 threw at us, short of the notion that humans are obsessed with mysterious tapedecks.

Meh, I dunno. I just hope he's done well.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The decepticons are in a vengeful mood. The autobots are in hiding, and the decepticons need a way to find them. Their only hope in rooting the autobots out of hiding.....Sam Witwicky.

I hope Soundwave arrives on earth near a vintage electronics store and scans an old tape recorder. I want him to be as we remember him. Sam is in college, he finds soundwave or in someway soundwave comes into his possesion and takes him to class for recording his professors instead of taking notes. While in Sam's possesion, soundwave finds where the autobots are, and transforms into robot mode in slow motion , as stated above, showing every detail MASS SHIFTING/GROWING into the Badass robot we all know and love. (A little homage to MTMTE where Spike finds a tapedeck and leaves it on Teletran 1.....for the slow people)

reasons for him being a tapedeck:

his primary fuction is espionage. he is trying to find out where the autobotts are. hard to do that when you are a stealth bomber or a hummer. autobots will see you coming a mile away.

its a GIANT ALIEN ROBOTS FROM OUTER SPACE movie...i think people take things too serious. As if Aien Robots was not reall enough, i doubt that a small tapedeck turning into a Giant Robot is going to make anyone complain. especially they do it in a great way. it could be done.

I really hope this does not happen.

Also, Soundwave never did any real spying on his own where his tape deck/recorder form was needed in the Cartoon. Laserbeak and Ravage did all the actual stealthy spying. Soundwave just used them to the 'Cons (and his own) advantage.

And as for Tramp's thoughts of Soundwave having to be an electronic device to do his function of Communications...

Well I state again, why not just have him have a super-advanced communications system within his own body that does incredible feats of communications. There is no true reason Soundwave needs to be a small electronic device in the movies other than staying slavishly close to G1.

reasons for him being a tapedeck:

his primary fuction is espionage. he is trying to find out where the autobotts are. hard to do that when you are a stealth bomber or a hummer. autobots will see you coming a mile away.

But he's only trying to find the Autobots because you just made that up. There's a thousand different jobs he could pull off as a stealth bomber or hummer that could be just as important to the Decepticon cause.

Even if you argued the Autobots are hiding so well they need to be found, there's his tiny minions to do that job like they always did.

The thing that you guys are forgetting tough is that F-117's and Hummers, as well as any other type of vehicle are limited in where they can go, and are conspicuous depending on the type of vhecile combined with it's location. No vehicle can go inside a building except a garage, and dedicated communications vehicles and military vehicles are limited in where they can go and not draw attention to themselves. This means any recon or surveylance mission is limited to outdoors, and to certain locations. A stereo system can be found anywhere, indoors or outdoors, and blend into any surrounding. It is the perfect disguise. Also, Soundwave did indeed do his fair share of espionage and infiltration missions both with and without his minions.

^^^^yeah i made that up. Just as other are calling for a stealth bomber or hummer soundwave, i am calling for his orginal form. I just gave a reason on how this could work.

i would like to see Soundwave as he was. In the G1 episode, he used his altmode to gain access to the ark. why couldn't he do the same in the sequel? use his altmode to gain access to the autobots. I just think that having him as anything else would not make him Soundwave. Soundwave is perhaps the most recognizable transformer outside of Optimus Prime. People remember the red semi truck whop turns into a robot. people also remember the tapedeck robot with the small robot tapes ejecting from his chest. to have him as something other than a tapedeck does not, in my opinion, shout Soundwave. I was ok with megatron's change for the film. Soundwave, on the other hand, has got to be a tapedeck IMHO.

News Reel Truck.. Thats what I think he should be. Can be anywhere in the city, has an in on all information and goings on around town.

Yeah, sure.. not a glamorous alt mode, nor is it cool.. but you can't argue over the fact that in order for Tapey Soundwave to move on his own, he's gotta be a robot.. unless you're suggesting he be a tape deck with a pair of skates or something. In my honest opinion this suits him best.

I totally agree that Soundwave needs to be in the urban setting.. he can even pal around with Barricade and Frenzy.. cuz ya know, News Reel Trucks aren't too far behind the police. =)

...musn't...get dragged...back in...

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!

The thing that you guys are forgetting tough is that F-117's and Hummers, as well as any other type of vehicle are limited in where they can go, and are conspicuous depending on the type of vhecile combined with it's location. No vehicle can go inside a building except a garage, and dedicated communications vehicles and military vehicles are limited in where they can go and not draw attention to themselves. This means any recon or surveylance mission is limited to outdoors, and to certain locations. A stereo system can be found anywhere, indoors or outdoors, and blend into any surrounding. It is the perfect disguise. Also, Soundwave did indeed do his fair share of espionage and infiltration missions both with and without his minions.

The thing that you're forgetting is that no thirty foot robot can go inside a building except in crappy kids cartoons. If you want a tape deck Soundwave for that reason, then you also want a tiny, non mass shifting robot. You want movie Frenzy, and you already got him.

^^^^yeah i made that up. Just as other are calling for a stealth bomber or hummer soundwave, i am calling for his orginal form. I just gave a reason on how this could work.

i would like to see Soundwave as he was. In the G1 episode, he used his altmode to gain access to the ark. why couldn't he do the same in the sequel? use his altmode to gain access to the autobots. I just think that having him as anything else would not make him Soundwave. Soundwave is perhaps the most recognizable transformer outside of Optimus Prime. People remember the red semi truck whop turns into a robot. people also remember the tapedeck robot with the small robot tapes ejecting from his chest. to have him as something other than a tapedeck does not, in my opinion, shout Soundwave. I was ok with megatron's change for the film. Soundwave, on the other hand, has got to be a tapedeck IMHO.

Soundwave's been a car and a weird missile truck and a stealth plane and soon a guitar playing Scion. They're all equally Soundwave, whether they're what people remember or not. A lot of things people remember didn't make it into this first movie...often for the better.

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!

The thing that you're forgetting is that no thirty foot robot can go inside a building except in crappy kids cartoons. If you want a tape deck Soundwave for that reason, then you also want a tiny, non mass shifting robot. You want movie Frenzy, and you already got him.

Soundwave's been a car and a weird missile truck and a stealth plane and soon a guitar playing Scion. They're all equally Soundwave, whether they're what people remember or not. A lot of things people remember didn't make it into this first movie...often for the better.

ok, no one outside of transformers fans remember the soundwave that "was a car, a weird missle truck and a stealth plane or the soon to be guitar playing Scion." This movie as the first one is not only being marketed or targeted to us fans, its for a broader audience. that broad audience whether people like to admit it or will recognize the tapedeck robot. and remember, the movie, admit it or not was an updated G1 film to an extent. it had enough G1 references to pass as one. As for his size, he doesn't have to be a thirty foot robot. I mean, how tall was Jazz? 12-15 feet tops.

News Reel Truck.. Thats what I think he should be. Can be anywhere in the city, has an in on all information and goings on around town.

Yeah, sure.. not a glamorous alt mode, nor is it cool.. but you can't argue over the fact that in order for Tapey Soundwave to move on his own, he's gotta be a robot.. unless you're suggesting he be a tape deck with a pair of skates or something. In my honest opinion this suits him best.

I totally agree that Soundwave needs to be in the urban setting.. he can even pal around with Barricade and Frenzy.. cuz ya know, News Reel Trucks aren't too far behind the police. =)

A news truck would draw too much attention from onlookers. It is one of the most conspicuous alternate modes you copuld have. News trucks mean news story in progress, and that draws crowds. That is bad for stealth.

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!

No. I want full mass conversion Soundwave, not permanently tiny robot. That means thirty foot tal robot transforming into normal sized decked out boombox.

Not really. none of those other "Soundwaves" are very well known or remembered except Cybertron, and that was a completely different character. It was Soundwave in name only. If you asked a hundred people who Soundwave was, at least 90 would say the G1 tape deck, not any of the other versions. His G1 form is his most iconic. The only reason why they didn't put Soundwave in the movie is they felt that having him be a tiny robot didn't fit the character. He needed mass conversion, and they felt they couldn't do that justice in the first movie with everything else they had to cover. IF you put too much into a single movie, everything suffers. It is better to save some things for a sequel.

I've been stewing an interesting idea for Soundwave...

Someone on the boards a while back suggested making Soundwave a combiner. Someone also suggested the Autobots use Hoover Dam as their new base. I ran with it:

Frenzy 'died' in the archives/electronics room, and somehow secretly grabs the Allspark Shard and gives life to the electronics. The Autobots investigate some sort of ruckus in that room and suddenly a mass of electronics swarms together, forming Soundwave. He announces his presence rather intimidatingly in his iconic synthesized multi-voice "I am Soundwave. Soon, you will know me well." He then explodes into his component parts, each of which attacks the Autobots, catching them off guard, allowing them to escape.

Frenzy- remains a boombox

Rumble- the short-wave radio Simmons doesn't know how to use...also humanoid, but stocky and thick to counter Frenzy's sharpness and high-energy

Lazerbeak- Television (flatscreen)

Ravage- Laptop

They disappear to track down Sam.....

Archived