25th Anniversary Optimus Prime In-Package

MISP Steve

Optimus_03__scaled_100.jpg
Just in are new official images of the Transformers Universe 25th Anniversary Optimus Prime action figure. Get a look at the beefed up Generation 1 figure reissued for the 1/4 mark with accessory Autobot Shield / voice box with the voice of Peter Cullen himself, DVD pack-in and sweet gatefold packaging. Check out all the images now in the gallery.

Read the Full News Story Here

Hey, another rerelease of the Convoy mold, this time with extra stuff thrown in! Even though my Prime emerged from the moving box with a broken stack, at $60 I think I'll pass. The mold already exists and (even after being restored) has been in use for years. Hasbro has long since made back any expense for the mold, so there's no reason for it to be $60, even with the extra stuff. I've always (or at least since PMOP was released) been ambivalent about the Convoy mold - it's the original Prime, but also one of the weakest Prime toys. I'd honestly be more excited if they'd done a rerelease of Classics Prime with a newly made G1-ish trailer. Or a "history set" of deluxe-sized toys of all 5 Primes. (The Convoy mold sans trailer would actually work nicely here.) But an expensive reissue of my least favorite Optimus with a comic & episodes I already have and a cheesy "belt buckle". Pass.

My 10-year old cousin would love a G1 Prime, but his mom will never agree to it at that price.

I know there are plenty of people happy to see this, and I don't mean to rain on their parade, but I just couldn't keep my underwhelmment over this offering to myself.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And with that simple bit of logic, I understand why people fault Hasbro instead of the law.

Yes, damn Hasbro! Damn them for obeying laws they have no control over! It's clearly Hasbro's fault, and not the fault of State, Provincial, Federal, and National governments, you know, the people who enacted the laws in the first place.

If short stacks on G1 Prime really bothers you that much wright your Senator, Representative, or MP. Don't blame Hasbro. They're just obeying the law.

And FTR if a toy proves to be a hazard to a child's health (you know, children, the people these toys are primarily made for?) then it should be taken off the market or modified to reduce the risk of injury.

You guys talk about survival of the fittest? Did I miss something? Are we back in the jungle? Last I checked we lived in a society, a society that values human life and th safety of all of its members. If something proves to be a danger to a portion of that society, especially if that portion is made up of weaker members (elderly, children, etc...) then we have a duty to do what is necessary to protect them.

The reissue looks nice, but I've already got the Takara #00 reissue, a DVD of three episodes I've already got in the G1 box set and a comic that I've got in my memory since I read it a lot when I was young, and the admittedly nice looking Autobot shield just aren't enough to tempt me to buy another G1 Prime. Maybe if it had a Matrix, Action Master Prime and one of those recent comics about Prime with it, then maybe I would consider it.

Still, it does look good. But would parents buy it for their child? Kids may not know G1 if they're parents haven't introduced them to it, they likely believe Transformers started with last year's movie or Armada or any of the more recent series. And G1 Prime isn't exactly what you would call a mover in terms of fancy gimmicks and articulation, he just looks great and is a lot of fun.

Toy safety laws do tend to be pretty laughable at times, when we were kids we learned from our mistakes, kids these days have it done for them before they can even make mistakes. The law suit nonsense is stupid, kid hurts a finger with a toy and it's an instant "I'll sue you!". How can a kid learn from their mistakes if they don't even get to make any? Daft society we have these days.

-';]/

And with that simple bit of logic, I understand why people fault Hasbro instead of the law.

Yes, damn Hasbro! Damn them for obeying laws they have no control over! It's clearly Hasbro's fault, and not the fault of State, Provincial, Federal, and National governments, you know, the people who enacted the laws in the first place.

If short stacks on G1 Prime really bothers you that much wright your Senator, Representative, or MP. Don't blame Hasbro. They're just obeying the law.

And FTR if a toy proves to be a hazard to a child's health (you know, children, the people these toys are primarily made for?) then it should be taken off the market or modified to reduce the risk of injury.

You guys talk about survival of the fittest? Did I miss something? Are we back in the jungle? Last I checked we lived in a society, a society that values human life and th safety of all of its members. If something proves to be a danger to a portion of that society, especially if that portion is made up of weaker members (elderly, children, etc...) then we have a duty to do what is necessary to protect them.

lighten up frances, they were quoting george carlin. also you completely ignored the part where "if hasbro made it 5+ instead of 3+ the smokestacks could be longer" so its not like its impossible for Hasbro to do it.

srsly, how many 3 year olds parents are gonna pay 60 bucks for this puppy? 5 year olds stand a better chance.

OK, this is obviously a collectable, and not made for children. Very few are gonna get mom and dad to shell out $60-$70 for a figure they don't even know when the guy on TV is running for only $20.

If Hasbro kept in mind that could just increase the age range on the product, they could make it however they wish, we wouldn't be having this argument.

Now as for survival of the fittest, well, yeah. Me and countless generations before have taken our lumps as kids. Today as adults because we learned we could survive falling out of a tree or playing with a toy. It made us stronger. Today you have kids in bubble wrap so the can get on a big wheel. I feel bad for these kids cause one day when a true hit comes, they aren't going to know how to do anything but batch and moan and cry and sue...

And it's only gonna get worse.

I'm not saying give kids flame throwers, but when I was young I learned how to make one from a match and a can of hairspray. The house did burn down, but not because of that(gas leak in the kitchen), and I never fried a single hair. So I'm saying, if me and mine came through all that just fine, let these kids (who arent getting this anyway) take there chance with a half inch of secured plastic.

Now go step out into your society that values human life and write your Senator about the ever increasing cost of a pointless war and poorly funded school systems.

lighten up frances, they were quoting george carlin. also you completely ignored the part where "if hasbro made it 5+ instead of 3+ the smokestacks could be longer" so its not like its impossible for Hasbro to do it.

srsly, how many 3 year olds parents are gonna pay 60 bucks for this puppy? 5 year olds stand a better chance.

I'm well aware they were quoting George Carlin. So what? Yes, the man was a fantastic stand up comic. Would I say he offered genuine words to live by? No. He was an entertainer, not much else.

And no, I didn't ignore the "if Hasbro made this toy 5+" argument. You see the toy already is listed as 5+

Optimus_03__scaled_600.jpg

So obviously the short stacks were necessary for a 5+ toy. Is this Hasbro's fault? No, they're just obeying the law of the land. If short stacks on Prime really bug you, don't batch about Hasbro, batch about national and local governments that make the laws Hasbro is forced to follow.

OK, this is obviously a collectable, and not made for children. Very few are gonna get mom and dad to shell out $60-$70 for a figure they don't even know when the guy on TV is running for only $20.

If Hasbro kept in mind that could just increase the age range on the product, they could make it however they wish, we wouldn't be having this argument.

Now as for survival of the fittest, well, yeah. Me and countless generations before have taken our lumps as kids. Today as adults because we learned we could survive falling out of a tree or playing with a toy. It made us stronger. Today you have kids in bubble wrap so the can get on a big wheel. I feel bad for these kids cause one day when a true hit comes, they aren't going to know how to do anything but batch and moan and cry and sue...

And it's only gonna get worse.

I'm not saying give kids flame throwers, but when I was young I learned how to make one from a match and a can of hairspray. The house did burn down, but not because of that(gas leak in the kitchen), and I never fried a single hair. So I'm saying, if me and mine came through all that just fine, let these kids (who arent getting this anyway) take there chance with a half inch of secured plastic.

Now go step out into your society that values human life and write your Senator about the ever increasing cost of a pointless war and poorly funded school systems.

Again, the age range is 5+, which is standard for most TF toys. The short stacks were necessary for the 5+ range.

So kids not being able to seriously maim themselves with their toys is going to make for a weak generation? You honestly believe that? Yes, your generation had toys that didn't have to live up to strict safety standards, and most of you did come out of it ok. Did it make you stronger because you almost poked your eye out with a toy of yours? No.

If we can stop just one kid from seriously injuring themselves with tougher toy safety laws, then it's worth it. Or are a few kids here and there missing eyes or chocking on small accessories worth it for you to have longer smokestacks on your Optimus Prime toy?

Write my Senator? Pointless war? Poorly funded public schools?

I'm a Canadian. Our Senators are appointed, not elected. If I would write someone it would be my MP. Pointless war? We didn't get dragged into that mess in Iraq. Yeah, we're in Afghanistan, but I'll take that over Iraq any day. Poorly funded public schools? Our public schools actually receive excellent funding.

Not that any of that matters. We're talking about toys. And I brought up the whole "write your Senator/MP" thing to highlight a point; they're the ones responsible for those safety standards you and others are so peeved about, not Hasbro.

If you believe that these safety standards are making for soft kids then it's the government you want to complain to, not the manufacturers who have to follow the government's laws.

So your not even from this country and your beating your bombastic chest about the "Law of The Land"!?!

You just lost all credability with me in this argument.

threads like this are the reason fanboys should be ashamed of their hobbies (just saying)

So your not even from this country and your beating your bombastic chest about the "Law of The Land"!?!

You just lost all credability with me in this argument.

how? the law is the law you don't have to be from the country that enforces it to have knowledge about it

I always wondered why Hasbro doesn't just make the stacks out of the softer, rubbery plastic they use for jetbot nosecones and other small, pointy parts. Couldn't that let them put full-sized stacks on Prime while still complying with safety restrictions?

Anyway, A3U tends to sell replacement parts for that sort of thing, so I'll just get a pair of full-sized stacks from them when I get this toy.

Archived