Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

TFormers Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Why is being a G1 fan so bad?

Recommended Posts

Just curious. There seems to be so much animosity towards G1 and it's fans, particularly when discussing the new movie or recent cartoons. I mean even Bay gets in the act...

 

I urge them to watch the 1986 animated movie, go watch the cartoon. You'll want to shoot yourself.
Wired July 2007

 

I just don't get it...Yeah I like G1. I was 8 when G1 came out after all. I didn't know a well written story from a pile of crap. I didn't care at the time. They were just damn cool. Technology advanced and along came BW and BM. I loved BW and BM because they were very well written, so much more so than the original series. Yet they still had a tie into the nostalgia of G1. I can't stand anything since BM, NOT because there is no tie to G1 but because the stories were horrible etc. I did like the animation though even though I thought the design on most of the figures weren't really very interesting either (I did get a few of the figures though. Not many but a few.) I've embraced the movie, inspite of Bay's snide little comments :tfmad (I think he's just being mean for mean's sake.) Granted with folks threatening his life over this movie I kinda can understand him being upset. YET why stoop to that childish level. The movie looks great. The bot designs are great. I don't even mind the flames or the lips. I'm a bit more worried about the story etc. Yeah I get it's live action. It has to look like it's real life. But you can't really draw ANY comparisons to this movie or the G1 animated series. They were made in the 80's. The animation technology was prehistoric compared to now. As far as the physics, it was a cartoon! It wasn't meant to be real life. Not even BW or BM had the physics right.

 

 

UGH...Now I'm just babeling...I think you get the point.

 

ANYWAYS...again why the animosity? Why can't we all just get along :tftongue

  • Replies 93
  • Views 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's fine to like G1. I do. I like it a lot.

There's not wrong with liking G1. It's just so many fans of G1 are anti-fans of everything else, thus hate back on them ensues.

its not so much liking G1, as it is hating everything thats not G1. the people who wanted this movie to be a live action MTMTE, or the people who write entire blogs posts about Beast wars only being tolerable because of the G1 connection, thats where the problem lies.

I love G1. I snap up almost any incarnation of G1 optimus. but, I also like change and new story ideas.

Yeah, as others have said, it's more in relation to anti-G1-fanboy backlash than anything else.

 

I'm pretty sure almost everyone here loves G1, but a lot are just sick of hearing that something "isn't Geewun enough" or "betrays the hardcore fans" or something to that effect.

 

G1-Fanboys ruined their cause when they started giving out death threats over BM IMO.

Oh yes... writing death threats to Bob Skir... geezus that was a f'ugly moment in Transfandom...

 

But yeah, everyone else is right - liking G1 is fine - I think it's safe to say that we're all lovers of G1 here, it's the most common denominator amongst Transfans as it's what got us all into it in the first place. What's bad is when G1 fanboys decide to hate everything that's non-G1 just because it's not G1. It's fine to say, "I dislike Armada because I think that it's badly written, even for its intended audience." as opposed to, "I dislike Armada because it's not G1." The latter comment is what makes being a G1 fanboy bad.

so, since everybody's already answered the question....

 

i agree

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

+1

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

n stuff

 

and bay just seems like the jock guy that doesn't understand nerdity at all and just like to blow Blot up so you'll hafta excuse him. iirc he said he doesn't understand why people wanna collect toys.

Oh yes... writing death threats to Bob Skir... geezus that was a f'ugly moment in Transfandom...

 

But yeah, everyone else is right - liking G1 is fine - I think it's safe to say that we're all lovers of G1 here, it's the most common denominator amongst Transfans as it's what got us all into it in the first place. What's bad is when G1 fanboys decide to hate everything that's non-G1 just because it's not G1. It's fine to say, "I dislike Armada because I think that it's badly written, even for its intended audience." as opposed to, "I dislike Armada because it's not G1." The latter comment is what makes being a G1 fanboy bad.

 

Bob Skir got death threats because of fans that liked Beast Wars, not G1.

I didn't know a well written story from a pile of crap.

But doesn't that kind of validate what Bay was saying?

 

Look, there's nothing wrong with liking piles of crap when you're a kid. That kind of goes with the territory. The weird part is when you grow up and you still like piles of crap. My sister used to like Barbies and tea parties when she was a kid. But she doesn't anymore, because she's 31 years old now. If she did, I'd be worried about her. There just comes a time at which you have to acknowledge that hey, this was something I was into when I was a kid, but I'm really not a kid anymore. As an adult, I would say that TF:TM is obnoxious drivel. But I loved it when it came out. And both of those statements can be true.

Okay - I got nothing more to add here. Everyone's pretty much said what I would have.

 

Except I disagree with Pete in the sense that I'll probably be 50 and still watch cartoons and collect some form of toys in some way. Those things keep my artistic imagination and drive going for me personally. Plus for me, I see no reason to fully grow up away from those things. But that's me.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sign Up For The TNI Newsletter And Have The News Delivered To You!
SOCIAL NETWORKS

ToyNewsI MarvelousNews Tformers JediInsider
Entertainment News International (ENI) is the oldest, largest, and most popular news source for adult toy collectors (kidults) all around the world.

Get the scoop every day on all the popular culture action figures, comics, games, movies, toys, and more!

Contact and Support
Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy


All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Please Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.