Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

TFormers Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Why is being a G1 fan so bad?

Recommended Posts

It's not wrong to like G1, but like others have said, the animosity towards "Geewunners" stems from the hardcore "elite" that are anti-anything new. Just go by your own tastes and you'll be fine! :thumb

 

Everyone has their own favorite TF series and should these fans become obsessed to the point of writing death threats to Bay, then professional help is needed. It's only a movie and the director's personal thoughts on the 1986 original...nothing more.

  • Replies 93
  • Views 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:lol Like Kevin Smith could produce a TF movie

 

I don't think he's ever directed a picture with a budget of more than 100,000 dollars. :tflaugh

:lol Like Kevin Smith could produce a TF movie

 

I don't think he's ever directed a picture with a budget of more than 100,000 dollars. :tflaugh

 

That donkey show in Clerks 2 probably put him over the 100k mark. :tfevil

Unless it was a man in a donkey suit... :schin

:lol Like Kevin Smith could produce a TF movie

 

I don't think he's ever directed a picture with a budget of more than 100,000 dollars. :tflaugh

 

Try 30 Million.

 

Anyway...

 

I am a G1 fan. I like how movie Prime looks. Hell I've liked that Lebouf kid since he was on Even Stevens. But I will say this one more time before we see the movie. If the cybertroninan characters are lifelike and the story is even OK, this movie will rock. But if the robot characters are just there hitting each other and the story is to dumb, it will turn into the US godzilla. Good Money, bad movie, no sequel.

 

Those characters are ugly and scary, I would think that if I never saw a TF before. I hear adults saying "meh. bey" and older adults saying "can't take my kid to that. looks to scary" everyday. Those previews seem targeted at no one. I am the guarenteed fan base. I will see this movie. They're right they don't have to convince me to go. But why the bugheaded TFs are a step up I don't get. I have yet to see this "larger audence" get turned on.

 

When the 20-30 people I have had ask me as a TF fan about the movie. I say... "We'll see." or "It looks ok." "I have high hopes"

My "word of mouth" hurts this movies chances. But hey, its not "for me" or us. Why should it be? We've only been the bench mark for two decades...

 

Back to being a G1 fanboy.

 

Think the newest crap is sub par?

 

Must be a Geewon fanboy.

 

Not sure the movie will ROCK HARD!!!!

 

Must be a Geewon fanboy.

 

Proud to enjoy old cartoons and comics from my youth?

 

Must be a Geewon fanboy.

 

Since I like G1 I obviously shouldn't talk, or Bay forbid COMPLAIN about anythink I don't orgazem at the sight of in the movie or new tfs.

Well I agree with Prime collector, all that hate seems to be just intentional flame baiting, people yelling FANBOY every time someone has anything less then positive to say about the movie. It's just as bad as being a purist (Which is laughable in itself.) but it's just form the other side of the wall so to say. And Micheal Bay is just adding to the fun by basically setting fire to what he's making a crapload of money out of. It speaks volumes about his childishness when he's making comments like that, especially when he is expecting us to keep an open mind about his movie. (Which I think will be awesome.) He's acting just as bad as the people giving him crap. Spiraling downdowndown.

 

-edit- Regardless I'm still considering to write a loveletter about the Starscream design.

Nothin new to add to this other than my own 2 cents..

 

I kind of have this school of thought.. that the original Transformers could of only been really successful in the 80s.. and the only reason it's not the same is .. that was a hell of a long time ago. Everything needs to re-invent itself in order for it to still be relivant.. or productive, popular.. which ever you prefer. Transformers is just a franchise I enjoy and a hobby to me.. it means little to nothing to me personally.

 

The only thing I have problems with is these over zealous G1 fanboys writing death threats or what have you. That really makes me want to dis-associate as much as I can with people like that.

Being fanatical (which is what being a fan implies) about ANYTHING is unhealthy IMO. I like G1 for sure, but I ain't gonna keep myself awake at night over some pointless quarrel. I like most TFs, but I wouldn't say I'm fanatical about any of them.

Well, speaking for myself, I'll list what TF stuff I have liked over the years:

 

G1 (got a lot of them)

G2 (Got most of them)

Beast Wars (Got all except Injector)

Machine Wars (Got them all)

Energon (At least the ones I liked)

Cybertron (Got all the show characters)

Classics (Got all except for Prime and Megatron, couldn't find them when I had the money)

RID (got them all)

I just liked the mechanical designs of them.

 

 

Now then, stuff I didn't like

 

Beast Machines (Ugh, just did not like the robot modes on most of them)

Armada (Got most of the minicons, gave away most of the larger ones to a friends nephew, designs just did not click with me)

 

And to me, most of the movie designs just seem too much like BM re-dux. And on the ones I kinda like, the heads just are too ugly for me. I might buy a version of Prime and add some more blue to his head, all the chrome annoys me.

 

And, given what I've seen in the trailers, and what is on one of the soundtracks, it just seems aimed at the Hot Topic/Hanging in the mall crowd. My friends nephew loves TFs. He is 5 years old. What little he's seen of the bots SCARES him. He doesn't want to see the movie. He doesn't want me to buy him the toys.

 

And he thinks that the picture of Prime from the new cartoon looks stupid.

 

Strangly enough, I agree with him.

 

 

Now, would I send Bay a death threat over it? Hell no, I have much better things to vent my wraith and anger on. Is it worth getting annoyed about? Only when I get sufficently bored.

People writing death threats is just moronic.

 

I recently watched the first season of Beast Machines again. (Bought the European release this Friday.) The show is excellent with its suspense. Viewers (and the Maximals) have NO idea what happened but it is all slowly revealed.

 

I do have problems with Rattrap being a coward while in BM he saved the day several times and moreso than any Maximal. He was the one who destroyed Ravage's Transwarp cruiser and when Megatron had taken over a Vok ship and captured Primal, Rattrap went in to free him. But he did get a rather poor robot mode, in terms of weapons that is. (Nontheless he is still a vital member of the team and my favorite character.

 

I also dislike Rhinox's change into Tankor but Megatron had completely messed up his spark. I really felt sad when Rhinox spoke to Primal for the last time.

 

And I agree that a lot of the things we learned in the show we just had to take for granted. Like Cybertron being organic and such. There were lots of G1 references all were some not entirely on the money. The Key to Vector Sigma being computer code does differ from G1.

 

But it gave the show an interesting touch and Bob Skir, in my opinion, is to be commended for that.

 

The persons whom I feel should be sent ccmplaints (and I certainly do not mean death threats) are the idiots who wrote up that the Oracle was built by the Quintessons. Man I never liked them much and writing that just completely f*cks up (pardon my language but I feel just so strong about this) the awesome saga that is Beast Machines.

 

As for G1, I still see its greatness and of course its flaws. I knew the movie cannot be exactly G1 and I do not mind the changes made for this movie. Not at all.

 

Here is my short review of the Transformers series (as far as I watched them). And feel free to disagree.

 

 

G1 (9/10)- AWESOME SHOW (but that is partially my nostalgia speaking- I will admit). Some weird episodes but a lot of good ones too and memorable characters. It started my (and probably everyone's) love for Transformers.

 

Headmasterrs (5/10)- Starts off really well but goes downhill fast. Uses G1 characters but completely forgets their personalities and traits. The only show I can blame for not being G1 because it uses G1 characters.

 

(Note: Masterforce is not rated as I have not seen enough of it but suffers from the same as most characters were featured in the US/UK comics. So that makes it odd to see them here with different personalites. It would not have affected my judgement of the series as these characters were never seen in the US cartoon so the Japanese writers could do whatever they wanted.

 

Beast Wars (10/10)- the best show EVER! Lots of excellent episodes with great storytelling and superb comedy (lots of cultural references too. And of course its connection to G1. Perfect animation which has yet to be surpassed! (And the show is TEN years old!) I was sceptical at first but ended up LOVING it!

 

Beast Machines (9/10)- Great show but not quite as good as Beast Wars.

 

Robots In Dishuise (8/10)- Neat show. Has G1 elements but stands on its own and does so well. Does not take itself too seriously which is appreciated. Sky-Byte is one of the best characters ever. And for a Japanese show Koji is very much in the background.

 

Armada (5/10)- This is where the sucking begins (to continue into Energon). Typical Japanese cartoon revolving around a quest for power: Mini-Cons. Could have been cool if it was well written (like the comics) but in the show the concept was woefully underused. Humans were very annoying and the reason for ther inclusion makes little sense (I find it hard to believe only they can communicate with Mini-Cons. Animation is rather poor as well. The only thing saving it was the excellent Unicron Battles finale.

 

Energon (2/10)- The worst of the shows and for several reasons. One of course is Kicker. Granted I can live with him not liking Transformers- in fact that is an interesting change from other humans but him shouting at Optimus that Earth is HIS planet made me cringe. How dare that stupid little runt say that this is his planet? Typical human- ignoring all the other lifeforms that we share this planet with. If he said "This is not your planet." he would have no beef with me. Now he does.

 

Again his inclusion makes no sense. Why would Transformers not be able to detect Energon themselves. They use it for fuel for crying out loud! Major plothole that even kids would see. They are clever those kids- do not dare insult their intelligence.

 

On that note, on to the following plothole: the Terrorcons. They have a similar function to Omnicons. Whenver an Autobot receives an Energon Star it is depleted rather quickly. So the Terrorcons only carry a small amount of Energon back to base meaning each attack gains them little.

 

However, they do take MASSIVE losses. You are not going to make me believe (or a 5-year old for that matter) that the Decepticons (or Unicron) uses less Energon in replacing those drones than what has been recovered. Their army (and Energon) would basically dry up after several attacks.

 

A major plot hole indeed and this really makes me dislike the show. Additionally Optimus having to combine with his trailer or Wing Saber just to win battles sucks big time too.

 

Cybertron (not rated allthough what I saw looked very promising).

 

 

In short I do not dislike any of the shows for not being G1. I think a new show should step away from G1 (like BW initially did) to avoid being compared to it too much. I like change and I feel Transformers should go into a bold new direction. But the preview art for the new cartoon does make me cringe.

 

One thing I do wish to add is that I do not wish for Transformers to be made in Japan again. Aside from R.I.D. (which was REALLY good) all the Japanese shows have one thing in common: a quest for power or the gloryfication of power. I mean in Headmasters the Headmasters were "all that" untill the Targetmasters showed up. (And Armada/Energon/Cybertron revolved around a quest for power, be it Mini-Cons/Energon/Cyber Keys) it was still the same comcept: Power. And with it came dumb super attacks.

 

That is what I loved about Beast Wars. Rattrap was not a strong Transformer but with his guts, his "Knievel mode" set to Maximum Scorch, a laser torch, the teeth of his beast mode and his trusty belly bombs he did being down Ravage's mighty transwarp cruiser.

 

Still one of the best Transformers moments EVER. (Along with Code Of Hero.)

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sign Up For The TNI Newsletter And Have The News Delivered To You!
SOCIAL NETWORKS

ToyNewsI MarvelousNews Tformers JediInsider
Entertainment News International (ENI) is the oldest, largest, and most popular news source for adult toy collectors (kidults) all around the world.

Get the scoop every day on all the popular culture action figures, comics, games, movies, toys, and more!

Contact and Support
Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy


All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Please Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.