The Bond Gadget Test

Hobbes-timus Prime

Yes, but you see, Soundwave also didn't have to transform every time he played back a message. He only did it sometimes to be cool. There were plenty of instances where he played messages in robot mode. Meaning his playback features are an integrated part of his system. Meaning he could play them back regardless of where he was, in whatever mode he was in, etc etc etc.

Soundwave could have been a jet for he cared, and since he had that big old door on his chest, He could still do his job.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, but you see, Soundwave also didn't have to transform every time he played back a message. He only did it sometimes to be cool. There were plenty of instances where he played messages in robot mode. Meaning his playback features are an integrated part of his system. Meaning he could play them back regardless of where he was, in whatever mode he was in, etc etc etc.

Soundwave could have been a jet for he cared, and since he had that big old door on his chest, He could still do his job.

No, he couldn't have been, nor would iut have made sense for him to have been. The only reason why he had a door in his chest was because he turned into a recording device. If he turned into anything else, he wouldn't have had that feature to begin with. His alt mode is what allowed him to plug into other systems and upload or download information. His alt mode is what allowed him to carry and play back his cassettes. Even though he kept that feature in robot mode, it was the alt mode that granted him that ability. If he didn't have that alt mode, or its Cybertronian equivalent, he wouldn't have the features he did. The functions of his alt mode gave him those abilities. It also boosted his communications abilities, as did Blaster's alt mode. which is why they both regularly transformed into alt mode any time a transmission came in. They didn't always shrink, but they did regularly transform to receive or transmit communications over long distances because it helped boost those signals.

Show me where it says that he turns into a communications system on Cybertron. Not your conjecture, or anything. Physical proof. A story bible. A design sketch from the War Within. Anything.

Because so far, a communications system out in the middle of the road like that doesn't make sense. A cybertronian street light, yes. But not a communications system.

Unless, of course, you mean to say that Soundwave turned into the Cybertronian equivalent to a roadside communications system... a public use telephone.

Show me where it says that he turns into a communications system on Cybertron. Not your conjecture, or anything. Physical proof. A story bible. A design sketch from the War Within. Anything.

Because so far, a communications system out in the middle of the road like that doesn't make sense. A cybertronian street light, yes. But not a communications system.

Unless, of course, you mean to say that Soundwave turned into the Cybertronian equivalent to a roadside communications system... a public use telephone.

Watch the very first episode of the show. He wasn't a street lamp. nor a phone booth. That was a communiucations/surveylance tower. It was not a light source, and not something someone could go to and place a call through. More like what "Big Brother" would use to watch over the populous, recording everything and storing, and analizing it and relaying it back to Central Command. A light post isn't wide and broad. Neither a lamp post, nor a phone booth, stores smaller communications data storage devices inside of it, nor cameras and sensors; all of which he had. He wasn't out in the middle of the road either. Where do you get the idea he was a light post? Don figuero's unused concept sketch for Soundwave was a mobile communications relay, but it lacked the chest door feature and was radically different than the final design used in the comic. He never transforms in the six issue series. However, if you look at all of the War Within designs, the only characters whose Cybertronian alt modes was radically different in form and function than their Earth modes, it was the dinobots. On Cybertron, their original alt modes were war vehicles. On Earth, they were dinosaurs. Everyone else had the Cybertronian equivalents of their later Earth modes. And, if you look at Soundwave's final War Within robot mode, he has all of the features of his later Earth form, just more futuristic in appearance. Of all of the War Within designs, other than Shockwave (who was completely unchanged from his original G1 design), Soundwave's changed the least. he has all of the design elements of a recording device, including the door in the chest for his minions and other data storage devices, and buttons on his abdomen. Go check them out if you don't believe me. The actual shape of his War Withinalt mode is never revealed, but the function is obvious. Communications, and data collection, storage, and playback.

I have a tapedeck from the 70s and it doesnt plug into anything but the wall...

I tried to plug it into my copmuter to transferr secret plans but it didnt work.

Then i remembered that the evil robot lord needed it - but i left it in my gym bag.

but I'm going by the Decepticon base tomorrow on my way to work anyway so I'll drop it off. i guess.

oh yeah - also it sometimes eats my tapes.

post-4338-1176277864_thumb.jpg

I have a tapedeck from the 70s and it doesnt plug into anything but the wall...

I tried to plug it into my copmuter to transferr secret plans but it didnt work.

Then i remembered that the evil robot lord needed it - but i left it in my gym bag.

but I'm going by the Decepticon base tomorrow on my way to work anyway so I'll drop it off. i guess.

oh yeah - also it sometimes eats my tapes.

While a tape deck from the 70's certainly would not be compatible with a modern computer, the tape itself is. All you need would be a modern tape deck with the proper inteface ports. They do make them, you know.

Sliding away from the idea that he HAD to transform for this...

REMEMBER, WE ARE NOT USING THE CARTOON FOR REFERENCES!!!

The mass of a tape player is approximately one kilogram.

Thus, the mass of the equipment of such a mode would be identical.

Why turn into a tape player when this twenty five ton, thirty foot robot can simply build something identical into, say, his shoulder? One kilogramwill not exactly suddenly ake him immobile. It doesn't to me.

Okay, now he's got all those capabilities in his robot mode. What should his alt mode be? IMHO, something closer to War Within Soundwave, sort of a tank-sized land carrier, where his "cassettes" are whatever he launches. And today, that could be a modified LAV designed to launch UAV's, with the UAV's being Buzzsaw and Laserbeak, and ground based drones being Ravave, Rumble, and Frenzy. And nothing anyone says can convince me that a tape player Alt mode would be required by any sane robot of Soundwave's size and rank.

Now, as for mass-shifting:

Let's try and put this into a little perspective. Okay, so Autobot A, Autobot B, and Autobot C come to Earth in their Cybertronian modes. Autobot A is about one ton and stands about fifteen feet tall, Autobot B weighs five tons and stands twenty two feet tall, and Autobot C weighs three tons and stands eighteen and a half feet tall. However, the closest Earth mode they can find to scan happen to be nearly identical trucks - say they all happen to be almost identical in Cybertronian mode to a Humvee (the original, not the H2 or H3, I hate those). So, they scan the Hummer. A hummer is 2.6 American tons, and is fifteen feet long. This is half the mass of Autobot B, and more than twice the mass of Autobot A, but pretty durn close to the mass of Autobot C. So rather than Autobot A getting bigger and Autobot B getting smaller, their systems compromise. It's not that often a Humvee will be picked up, so Autobot A uses the "shifting plates" bit to expand his systems a bit to fill out the extra volume. Autobot B, on the other hand, would have trouble compressing his plates, as this would leave us with a Humvee that can't take a passenger - and thus pretty much useless as a disguise ("Hey, I opened the door of this Hummer and there's a solid wall behind it!"). So instead, he has to figure out what to do with his extra mass.

Okay, so now we finally have a "why" on Mass Shifting - disguise, as the closest possible Earth Alt Mode. Borrowing on what Hunter Rose started, here's my suggestion:

1 ) Most of the actual exterior armor plates, as well as critical computer systems, would not be affected. They would be retained, and flip and rearrange into the body (and electrical system?) of this new alt mode.

2 ) Secondary systems that would not be required in the new alt mode, and composed of common elements such as silicon or iron, would be what is sacrificed. Rather than expelling this mass as energy, or "shunting it extradimensionally", it's broken down on a much larger scale by internal nanites, and ejected as a powder. The molecular makeup would not be changed from whatever it is, and simply expelled. When the TF transforms back, the nanites discretely yet rapidly scour its immediate area for those specific molecules and materials, chop 'em up, and use them to reconstitute the lost sub-systems. This means that every time it transforms to alt mode, it leaves (depending on how much it can compress itself into the Hummer shape) one to two tons of fine powder in a puff of dust, while it leaves a crater beneath it, with a depth and radius depending on how rapidly the nanites can move during the transformation sequence, upon retaking robot mode.

3 ) Autobot A will have absolutely no limitations on its opportunity to transform, but will end up slightly more vulnerable in alt mode because its armor plates have thinned out to make up the extra volume. Autobot B will have distinct limitations on when and where he can transform ("Humbot, did you take vehicle mode inside the base again? The library is dusty as heck while the rec room is missing its carpet again!"), and Autobot C would be in the best shape of the three of them (no limits, and no gained vulnerability).

Tactically speaking, Autobot C is in the best shape overall. So it would probably behoove A and B to just keep looking for a different alt mode.

In order for movie Soundwave to be recognizable as "Soundwave", is for him to transform into a tape deck, stereo CD player sound system or a laptop computer. The only problem with using a laptop is it is too flat. The engineering to make it transform would be bizarre, to say the least, and making a toy would be virtually impossible. Therefore, a portable stereo sound system is still the most appropriate.

Archived