Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

TFormers Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

So does anyone have pics of TFs in toy aisles from the 80s?

Recommended Posts

There is a downward spiral of quality and selection. Worse, you have to search every where just to get the damn toy and if you don't buy certain ones when you see em, you may never see it again. Unlike in those pictures, you could come back the next day, or week and get that same certain toy later.

Yeah, no scalpers buying up all the good stuff back then either. Well, no internet to sell them on I suppose, so that kinda figures!

 

But these were the days when Transformers were EVERYWHERE... stores that nowadays don't even sell toys at all used to carry a TF selection.

  • Replies 49
  • Views 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, this is a discussion from another site, but wanted to see if anyone here had any pics of TFs in toy aisles from the glory days. For example, see these pics. Everyone deserves to remember these days, or at least see what you missed out on.

 

faod.jpg

 

wcjwj7.jpg

 

9r867l.jpg

 

2lv0dpl.jpg

 

 

OMG, I think im gonna cry.

kids will remember their youth.. much like many here do also. The emotion is more about the memories and impressions from a youthful perspective - far more than the 'commercialization' of it all. Believe me, it was much the same then as now, retail wise. FAR FAR more info now then. We never knew what was going to be out the stores - now we see photos and analyze the hell out of it months before they ever hit the stores or even get imported.

 

It was good then... it's good now... the toys are actually much better... we're just older... what has changed the most is 'us. :) lol

We never knew what was going to be out the stores - now we see photos and analyze the hell out of it months before they ever hit the stores or even get imported.

 

It was good then... it's good now... the toys are actually much better... we're just older... what has changed the most is 'us. :) lol

Ah yes, I remember that feeling of surprise and euphoria at seeing a whole bunch of brand new Transformers on a shelf, that you knew absolutely *nothing* about... and standing there for half an hour devouring every detail of every box, before having to decide which one or two I could afford to take home (at the expense of whatever 'current' TF I had been saving up for!).

 

Most vividly I recall one of my local stores getting Snap Trap, and although I didn't buy him there and then, I was completely transfixed seeing that back-of-the-box artwork for the first time with Powermaster Optimus Prime - that was unexpected and very exciting!

We never knew what was going to be out the stores - now we see photos and analyze the hell out of it months before they ever hit the stores or even get imported.

 

It was good then... it's good now... the toys are actually much better... we're just older... what has changed the most is 'us. :) lol

Ah yes, I remember that feeling of surprise and euphoria at seeing a whole bunch of brand new Transformers on a shelf, that you knew absolutely *nothing* about... and standing there for half an hour devouring every detail of every box, before having to decide which one or two I could afford to take home (at the expense of whatever 'current' TF I had been saving up for!).

 

Most vividly I recall one of my local stores getting Snap Trap, and although I didn't buy him there and then, I was completely transfixed seeing that back-of-the-box artwork for the first time with Powermaster Optimus Prime - that was unexpected and very exciting!

 

I used to do the same thing! The fantastic artwork on the back of the 80's Transformers packages was always so exciting, and a good way to get a peek at some of the characters not yet out. I remember that was my first peek at the Insecticons back in the day, and I was completely enthralled with the idea of such things!

1986: when even the local FLEA-market was stacked with TF's, GoBots and Voltron toys. EVERY store had at LEAST some cool KO's; and even THOSE were part DIE-CAST! ...Back in "the day"... (which was around September, 1986).

 

Aww F#ck. I'm old... :redface

You know, we can be old and bitter about toy aisles now, but think about those cool kid events some stores have. The magic is still there, it just lives on in its own way.

ahhhh the good old days...when pegs and shelves were chalk full of toys and there were plenty to go around

I remember seeing the Dinobots at Sears, and the Predacons at Toys r us. I eventually got them all.

 

Back then I never really cared about the tranformation, possability, tech specs, or any of that. I just wanted the ones I thought looked coolest!

 

I remember those Toys r us shooping sprees they had where you could fit as much as can in a shopping cart in under 10 minutes. Damn I wanted to win one of those!

I was really too young to pick for myself and reading about it makes me wish I was old enought o take in all that coolness. Ive NEVER been enthralled with box art until I saw Takara's Animated collection, they have AMAZING pictures on the back (like the actual figures fighting other figures, it looks sweet!) All I have are ones I got as gifts (still have a couple).

 

Part of the problem in me being to young is that in 1986 I was 1 year old and in 1984 I was non-alive. :redface

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sign Up For The TNI Newsletter And Have The News Delivered To You!
SOCIAL NETWORKS

ToyNewsI MarvelousNews Tformers JediInsider
Entertainment News International (ENI) is the oldest, largest, and most popular news source for adult toy collectors (kidults) all around the world.

Get the scoop every day on all the popular culture action figures, comics, games, movies, toys, and more!

Contact and Support
Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy


All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Please Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.