TFans' Official 'Transformers Movie' Thread

AutobotMaximal

I'm just glad that what I've seen so far indicates that they are NOT interested in the "celebrity voice-over" thing. Thank goodness.

:pfx

The only exception I have to that is if the person actually fits the part.

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think getting big-name actors to do the voices isn't a bad thing, just as long as they remain true to the character and arent' just robot versions of the celebrity in question. Having known actors (Nimoy, Stack, Idle, etc.) do the voices in the '86 Transformers movie was OK.

chris latta also did the original wheeljack,

and trench i think some cameos from other things would be good but a all atar celeb cast frightens me,

but if cullen is prime and as long as the other actors stay true to the characters then i think the movie will be alright.

also most importantly

No KIDS!!! Give us someone in their mid teens for lead role so that they can actually understand the enormaty of what is happening

• 2 weeks later...
Arcee (there's gotta be a female bot or else female audiences won't be interested ...)

Oh give me a break.

First and foremost: ***ROBOTS*** in disguise. Why make a female robot or bother making a robot with boobs?

That's one thing that NO ONE has ever answered: Why the TF's must look so humanoid...

Why not a basic TF that transforms into an 8-legged robot with no discernable head?

And what do they have to disguise themselves for? I mean, the original Ark stated they disguised to look like the "nativeS" of the planet, mistakenly discerned as the metal cars and planes around town.

That's another thing that bothers me: the recent Micromaster series; everyone is named in English after some sort of car-related incident, and everyone transforms into earth-based cars; and they've NEVER BEEN TO EARTH (as far as I know)!

:pfx

They have a word for this. It's called "anthropomorphism." For those watching at home, that means making something that isn't human look or act as though it is. (For example, those paintings of God sitting up in the clouds with a big white beard etc.) It helps us to relate to something that would otherwise seem quite foreign to us.

The whole concept of the Transformers is predicated on the notion that these guys are human-looking robots that "think and feel" (and have eyes, mouths and noses!). Either you accept that, or you don't. (Personally I think it's silly -- then again, the whole concept of truly sentient artificial intelligence is silly, so who's counting.) So if you're going to have male Transformers (as most of them clearly are), then why not have female Transformers? (Again, it makes sense if you accept the basic premise of anthropomorphic robots.)

The thing I don't like is female robots with secondary sexual characteristics (i.e. boobs and curvy hips etc.). That's a bit much IMO, because the whole "robots that look like people" thing is a bit suspect to begin with, and making them look that much like people only gets you thinking about awkward issues like robot procreation and such.

Having said all that, I think that they will probably have female Transformers in the movie, or a sequel if that happens. I don't see a big reason not to do so. And yes, from a marketing standpoint you know that the Hollywood people are going to look at this and think, "so what part of this appeals to women?"

P.S. IN BEFORE EDIT!!!! :D

While i go and look for a link for this particular nugget of scientific information, allow me to quickly illuminate for you one of the odd realities of our universe... The Bipedal (huminoid :tftongue) form is one if not the most energy effecient forms in all of nature. why this would be true for robotic creatures i can not say, but it stopped all those trekkies (trekkers) arguing about why everbody from the Klingons the the Cardassians were all bipedal :tfgrin

While i go and look for a link for this particular nugget of scientific information, allow me to quickly illuminate for you one of the odd realities of our universe... The Bipedal (huminoid :tftongue) form is one if not the most energy effecient forms in all of nature. why this would be true for robotic creatures i can not say, but it stopped all those trekkies (trekkers) arguing about why everbody from the Klingons the the Cardassians were all bipedal :tfgrin

Oh so it's not because the people at Takara had an obsession with "man in suit" robots. :D

Bipedal is slighly more efficient than being a quadriped. However, walking isn't nearly as energy efficient as rolling on wheels, and on Cybertron, where most surfaces appear to be flat metal there really isn't much need to walk anywhere ever. Perhaps Primus in his wisdom didn't want his creations to have problems with stairs - ala the Daleks.

PS: there was actually an episode of Next Generation that explained all the Star Trek aliens were seeded across the the galaxy by humanoid progenitors, which is why they all had essentially the same body plan.

Autobots

Optimus Prime

Jazz

Bumblebee

Wheeljack

Ironhide

Sunstreaker

Sideswipe

Other than Prime and Jazz, I would replace one of the above 'Bots with Prowl, but I think that one righthand man for Prime is more than enough for the movie. Most likely, that position will go to Jazz, Meister, or whatever he'll be called in the flick. Wheeljack will have the scientist/medic role (sorry Ratchet). Ironhide will be the grizzled veteran of the squad and the "tough 'Bot". You gotta have Bumblebee in there because you gotta have the scrappy undersized overachiever that many people relate to. Also, he's one of the 'Bots that epitomizes Transformers. Sunstreaker/Sideswipe will be the brash and arrogant hotheads of the lot and possibly be the comedic relief shooting zingers and one liners. You can't have one without the other, but if neither Sideswipe or Sunstreaker make it in, they'll probably add two of the following to round out the squad: Hound, Mirage, Ratchet, Prowl. However, there's really no need for Mirage to be in it because Bumblebee can handle the espionage duties.

Decepticons

Megatron

Starscream

Soundwave

Skywarp

Thundercracker

Rumble

Laserbeak

I have no qualms about Megs being some sort of tank because I liked his alt. mode in the War Within series.

Archived