"Masterpiece" line not actualy Masterpiece

Gundam Kai

MP-04 Trailer should have been released stand alone, with Roller.

I think your reasons are weaker than his were. Especially on MP-04. How that's a reason not to like him is... retarded.

Most everyone who was going to buy MP01 bought it before MP04 was announced. That leaves those of us who buy the trailer with an extra Masterpiece Prime. And why wouldn't we expect Roller to be in the trailer? Roller was a major portion of the play value of the original trailer.

Calling someone retarded over valid issues with a toy is childish and immature, if you ask me.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I certainly said your reason is retarded, not you. I don't know you, but I assume you are not retarded.

DjinniMan has a valid point. Why on Earth would they release MP Prime with his trailer(...obvioulsy because of the success with the masterpiece line...)but not include Roller? Roller did more than Wheelie and Wheelie got a repaint with Kup. Releasing the trailer without Roller is like releasing MP Prime without his gun. I'm surprised Justitoys didn't make a MP Roller to go along with the trailer.

It really is a bunk deal to put the work into the trailer but nothing else. THS-02 got Roller. Countless other Primes that could accomodate Roller did. Why should it be different now?

I like my MP-3 and find him more enjoyable to transform back and forth than Prime.

I dont quite understand the constant references to him being "brittle" - but then again my Hot Wheels / Sandbox days are long over.

Honestly. My Starscream is pretty much tough as nails. No less fragile than transforming G1 Prowl. I'll probably get MP Skywarp but I would like a little more purple on him. MP Megatron is a wise purchase indeed. I'm glad I didn't miss out.

I tend to agree with the OP on this issue. I think the Masterpiece line is a bit disappointing. Here's why:

MP-01 ALMOST perfection. Weak ankles and a tendency to not hold poses well due to weight (on mine at least)

MP-02 As a Prime/Magnus/Scourge fan, not bad, but a bit plain and has same problems as 01.

MP-03 Color scheme is AWFUL. Plus, the issues with fragility.

MP-04 Trailer should have been released stand alone, with Roller.

MP-05 The head doesn't match the animation model well enough, IMO. And the legs...

MP-06 Too early to tell, but looks better than Starscream. Might be one of the better MPs.

As you can see, there are issues with each one. Some of them are minor (01, 06) and others are major (03, 05). Compare that to say, Masterpiece Voltron, which is spot on just what it should be. The entire line has been close, but not quite. In my opinion, MP-01 is the only one that makes the Top Ten TFs ever list.

I think your reasons are weaker than his were. Especially on MP-04. How that's a reason not to like him is... retarded.

and for the record, you're a new and inexperienced member

of course you may not have just started collecting tfs, but your opinion doesn't count as much as the opinion of older members.

not trying to flame btw if it comes across as flaming to some

The fact that this line generates such controversy, already makes it more interesting to me than, say, the Classics line to which I've only purchased Bumblebee, and received as a gift, Jetfire (whom I've yet to open). Not saying that it's an inferior line, because it is not. I guess I just like the complexity and the attempted homage that the Masterpiece line offers as well as it's ambition.

It may not always be successful, but at least I recognize the Megatron asthetic in this line better than the well-porportioned, albeit nerf-shooter of Classics.

I don't think we'll ever get the perfection we hope for, but it's got my attention at least.

The only precedent in the Masterpiece line is that there is no precedent.

I think this is the most true statement made here.

People tend to get carried away with the awesome-ness of MP-01, and extrapolate that all Masterpieces should be virtually perfect in Alt mode and completely show-accurate in 'bot mode, which is a statement you can't make with the above applying to only 1 figure from the line.

It is impossible (and inappropriate) to say that the Masterpiece line follows any kind of "trend", mainly because there isn't any. We can't say that the MP line should contain plenty of die-cast, because only 1 out of the 3 molds do. We can't say that the MP line should be flawless in both modes, because none of the 3 molds do. The only things that are common between the different Masterpieces are their complexity, and pricetags.

A "Masterpiece" line should also have more than three molds since there's 5 figures. MP-01 should've had the trailer the entire time and MP-02 should've been scream which would make MP-03 Megs and MP-04 someone like Grimlock and MP-05 someone else.

"shoulda, shoulda, shoulda..."....why? On what grounds do you decide what something "should" be?

new opinion of MP-05 after seeing

....I'm sorry, but I couldn't watch that.

Oh, it played on my browser, no problem there. It's just....that face, it's bloody hideous! It's like watching open-hart surgery, but with the internal organs moving!

Archived