What do people think of the Star Wars transformers?

icruise

I've always thought the conversation at hasbro went something like this in regard to SW TFs:

Exec: "Let's find yet another way to milk this SW license. How can we get these fanboys to spend even more money on the same characters?"

Marketing Guy: "Well, those 'Transformers' figures are kinda cool. They sell a lot of those."

Exec: "Yessssss...excellent....we can create transformers based on Star Wars ships. Let's get right on that."

SW Engineer: "But we've never made a transforming toy before. Can we call in the TF guys to help out?"

Exec: "Nah...no need to trouble them. They've never designed any Star Wars toys. You guys can do it. Just look at some old Transformers toys for inspiration and I'm sure you'll figure it out. (Hands Sw Engineer a Topspin toy) As long as people buy them, we really don't care what they look like or how they transform."

My theory is that the SW TFs are designed by the SW side of Hasbro, without any input from the TF side because where most Transformers since Beast Wars have used ball and socket joints to increase posability and transformation ease/complexity, the SW TFs have almost no posability, no ball and socket joints, and are kibble bricks. I figure the SW TFs are just another way to try and make some money off the SW license.

Chris

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only ones i have any interest in picking up are the Darth Vader/Death Star, Commander Cody/Clone Tank and pretty much all the Clone associated figures like the two versions of the ARC-170...

Not bothered about the rest to be honest...

I've always thought the conversation at hasbro went something like this in regard to SW TFs:

Exec: "Let's find yet another way to milk this SW license. How can we get these fanboys to spend even more money on the same characters?"

Marketing Guy: "Well, those 'Transformers' figures are kinda cool. They sell a lot of those."

Exec: "Yessssss...excellent....we can create transformers based on Star Wars ships. Let's get right on that."

SW Engineer: "But we've never made a transforming toy before. Can we call in the TF guys to help out?"

Exec: "Nah...no need to trouble them. They've never designed any Star Wars toys. You guys can do it. Just look at some old Transformers toys for inspiration and I'm sure you'll figure it out. (Hands Sw Engineer a Topspin toy) As long as people buy them, we really don't care what they look like or how they transform."

My theory is that the SW TFs are designed by the SW side of Hasbro, without any input from the TF side because where most Transformers since Beast Wars have used ball and socket joints to increase posability and transformation ease/complexity, the SW TFs have almost no posability, no ball and socket joints, and are kibble bricks. I figure the SW TFs are just another way to try and make some money off the SW license.

Chris

Actually - i think a lot of what you are saying is very very true.

Everything about them feel like SW toys/designs. which is fine as far as it goes.. which is not as far as it should when you are talking about something that has to be sturdy, functional, and astheticly pleasing in two seperate modes.

Chris

Actually - i think a lot of what you are saying is very very true.

Everything about them feel like SW toys/designs. which is fine as far as it goes.. which is not as far as it should when you are talking about something that has to be sturdy, functional, and astheticly pleasing in two seperate modes.

A lack of Takara involvement may also be a reason (since I don't recall seeing any Takara imprints on the one I have).

Chris

Dude i agree 100%, with star wars merchandise, especially the toys, they just keep beating and beating a dead horse, however the dead horse has rotted and now there just beating bones. I stopped collecting Star Wars cause i got sick of figures that were the same thing, or figures of aliens or pilots that appear for a breif second in the movie.

I was initially really excited about them, but then when I saw that the vehicles transform into representations of the SW characters themselves I thought it was the most horrible, deformed, idea I've ever heard (in Transformerland that is, not real life!). It would have been far far better if the vehicles Transformed into well designed, newly designed, robots with the small character fig in there as well to identify which SW character the robot serves. I think that would have made far better toys.

But as we've all said, kids like them, so they'll prob keep rollin' 'em out!

I was initially really excited about them, but then when I saw that the vehicles transform into representations of the SW characters themselves I thought it was the most horrible, deformed, idea I've ever heard (in Transformerland that is, not real life!). It would have been far far better if the vehicles Transformed into well designed, newly designed, robots with the small character fig in there as well to identify which SW character the robot serves. I think that would have made far better toys.

But as we've all said, kids like them, so they'll prob keep rollin' 'em out!

I think that all of us old people miss the point with this one.

The ships transform into "lucasfilm characters" from the movies - get over it all ready.

The real crime being that - for the most part - they are poorly designed, and fraglie.

put any head you want on the Slave1 and it still doesnt have hips or arms that are worth a damn.

But the mold isnt horrible because of the head.

They go from horrible to really great. tough they all have a perfect vehicle mode, most suffer from big tummy problem in bot mode.

Bu t some of them are good, the TIE Dark Vader could have been perfect if it weren't for the "stupid neck". Grievious is good. And the Millennium Falcon is pure awesomeness.

If you have to just take one, buy the Millennium Falcon. It's simply a perfect figure(s).

I have been dilligantly ignoring the existence of nearly every single one of them since their creation in the bowels of the nine hells.

Except the death star.

Because Unicron is hungry.

Archived