Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

TFormers Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Favorite voice of Optimus Prime

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 39
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Without question Cullen: His voicing of Optimus made the character iconic.

 

Same goes for Welker's Megatron: His gravely pitch personified ruthlessness and evil. So much so that when I first saw TFTM where following Megatron's reformatting into Galvatron, I remember being disappointed to hear Nimoy's voice.

 

:pfx

 

Not that Nimoy was bad but I missed Welker`s Megatron.

Nimoy's galvatron was almost subtle at times... it added a depth to the character that made Galvatron all the more evil and in a way frightening.

 

I mean, you have this character that can speak so calmly and intelligently, and then you see what he is capible of.

 

and by frightening I mean to a little kid.

 

>.>

 

Welker made Megatron an insane force. Nimoy made Galvatron a grounded, evil, evil bastard. I prefer Nimoy.

 

i think we can agree that Welker pretty much Powerglideed up as Galvatron in Season 3 and 4 though.

I love Peter Cullens voice. He's my favorite. The other voices are cool too but I grew up watching G1. As for Megs it has to be Welker hands down the evil raspy voice sounds great. I couldnt stand the Brithish voice. It made Megs sound like some upper class snob than a commanding evil robot.

 

I forgot to mention I did like Welker as Galvatron also . Nimoy did a good job but in season 3 and 4 Galvatron was insane ad Welker did a good job sounding crazy especially with the evil and insane laugh he had.

DarkNarco hit the nail right on the head. :P

 

Anyway, my favourite Optimus Prime would have to be Peter Cullen. Favourite Megatron would be David Kaye, but I think Christopher Lee or Sir Ian McKellan would do an even better job! I guess it's something that started with Star Wars - bad guys just sound more evil with an English accent! I suppose it's because the upper-class English accent sounds more sophisticated than the colonial American accent and arguably more powerful. And villains are always more interesting if they are more powerful than the hero (as it gives the hero a greater complication to overcome). http://www.supermanhomepage.com/images/sup.../tvspot1-tb.JPG

 

If not an English accent, then at least an upper-class American accent like Kelsey Grammar or someone who can speak with Stewie Griffin's accent but in a deeper voice.

Mr. Burns does not have an English accent and he is pretty evil. :tftongue

 

Anyways, I greatly prefer Cullen as Optimus Prime. Optimus Prime is a legendary character and therefor Cullen is legendary.

 

But Gary Chalk was perfect as Primal as Optimus Primal is a completely different character.

 

Both Welker and Kaye made excellent Megatrons allthough I am not fond of Chalk and Kay in Armada/Energon/Cybertron but that could be due to the bad writing.

 

And finally, Leonard Nimoy's Galvatron was wicked awesome!

 

"Coronation Starscream, this is bad comedy!"

"Megatron, is that you?"

"Here is a hint!"

*Galvatron transforms and obliterates Starscream*

"Would anyone else attempt to fill his shoes?"

 

Now that was Starscreaming! :thumb Welker did an ok job as Galvatron allthough I did not like the insane Galvatron much. I liked having a leader that whas insane but after such a badass performance in the movie by Nimoy it was a bit of a downer.

Cullen but not from the show, from the movie, that's when he got away from the "John Wayne" impression and really found the prime character

 

For about twenty minutes anyway.

 

 

My favorite Prime would have to go to Cullen as well. It's just got that more natural quality to it. And while I can't say anything about RID Prime (because I haven't heard the voice enough), A/E/C Prime just sounded stiff and phoned in (probably because it was) - Now, Chalk as Primal...he's golden there.

 

As far as Megatron, I actually have enjoyed both Welker and Kaye. I also thought Leonard Nimoy did an excellent job with Galvatron - it sounded dark and evil...when S3 of G1 started I was so disappointed to see that Galvy had become an insane old lady.

Insane old lady???? :rofl :rofl

 

"WILL YOU HELP ME ACROSS THE STREET?! IF YOU DON'T ,I'LL KILL YOU"

 

or something, anyway.

I'm gonna be different and say that I liked the guy who did Prime in RiD.

That would be Neil Kaplan. He did a good job in RID.

 

Chalk does not do well with dubbing, that is a fact with A/E/C. We all know he is great because of Primal. Makes me wonder how good he would have been had A/E/C been made in North America.

 

I do have to say I would like to hear Kaplan voice Prime in a few Armada episodes just to know if he would have been the better choice.

Having to do dubs is always annoying for an actor, I would imagine at least.

 

And as I mentioned the poor writing of Armada and Energon did not help much either.

 

I even recall an interview with Gary Chalk saying that he did not like the kids in those shows. Welcome to the club. :tflaugh

 

I liked Neil Kaplan. He was not the best of the 3 but since it was an "alternate universe'' Transformers I did not mind at all. I appreciated it since the show was neither G1 or Beast Wars.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sign Up For The TNI Newsletter And Have The News Delivered To You!
SOCIAL NETWORKS

ToyNewsI MarvelousNews Tformers JediInsider
Entertainment News International (ENI) is the oldest, largest, and most popular news source for adult toy collectors (kidults) all around the world.

Get the scoop every day on all the popular culture action figures, comics, games, movies, toys, and more!

Contact and Support
Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy


All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Please Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.