I hate Snipers

Slagatron

I suppose I've sniped before, but I never do it intentionally.  I search ebay by "lowest price first", and rarly pay attention to the end date.

When I bid, I bid my absolute highest amount I want to pay.  If I get outbid, I don't care, becuase whatever the item is, it just became more pricey that I want to pay.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
*doesn't know what sniping is*

It means bidding at last minute/few seconds.

heh, *proud to be a sniper*

You snipe?!?! But aren't you the guy that's asking people for a free Bumblebee because your parent won't let you pay online? If you're sniping and you're not paying, then, yeah, I have something against THOSE types of snipers. Sniping is not "wrong" or "right," but if you're doing it so that other people have to pay more, then you, sir, suck.

I still can't look at your avatar without laughing. :tfsad :rofl :rofl

I am a proud sniper!  You may lose 80% of what YOU bid on but I win 90% of what I bid on.  It is the sign of the times and a must for any online auction bidder.  At least half the time I get things for next to nothing also.  I just set it for the max I would pay and if it goes past that then I look for another auction.  It is more patience in my opinion.  I just won a bunch of Star Wars figures that are out at retail for just over $1 each and the seller offered a flat rate shipping charge of $6.95 and is a reputable dealer.  The snipping alone saved me over $60 and that was only for today.

I would look in to it if I were getting out bid all the time and didn't use a snipe program.

Where can I get one of these "Sniping programs"?  I'd probably be better off using one of those... I tend to overinflate the price of the auctions I bid on a dollar at a time, in an effort to get that "high bidder" status too early.  :redface

I notice you didn't address his accusation ;)

That's because the accusation was to TM Megatron.  :tftongue

*doesn't know what sniping is*

It means bidding at last minute/few seconds.

heh, *proud to be a sniper*

You snipe?!?! But aren't you the guy that's asking people for a free Bumblebee because your parent won't let you pay online? If you're sniping and you're not paying, then, yeah, I have something against THOSE types of snipers. Sniping is not "wrong" or "right," but if you're doing it so that other people have to pay more, then you, sir, suck.

I still can't look at your avatar without laughing. :tfsad :rofl :rofl

Thanks! It's supposed to spread fear and intimidation, though.... :(

Where can I get one of these "Sniping programs"?  I'd probably be better off using one of those... I tend to overinflate the price of the auctions I bid on a dollar at a time, in an effort to get that "high bidder" status too early.  :redface

I use a program called JustSnipe.  The website is justsnipe.com.  It is a service actually and not a program.  They have a free version and a pay version.  The free version gives you 5 snipes a week but limits it to the last 8 seconds.  The pay version is $5 a month for unlimited snipes and you can set your bid all the way down to the last second of the auction.  I would try it for free first so you can see if it is worth it.  For me I use it for everything I bid on except obviously "buy it now" items.  It has well been worth the $5 a month I spend on it and it gets deducted from my Paypal account.  The good thing is you don't have to have a high speed connection(even though I do), no download or program installed on your PC, and it is automated on the server.

It seems Slag and I are in a minority, here. Not that I dislike you others for embracing the way of the snipe, to me, it's just not "right" in my eyes. Then again I'm one of those freaks who believes in having a sense of justice... *Waits for flames* Seriously, I'd rather bid honestly and be there to make the final bid myself, instead of letting an automated program do it for me. That feels like cheating to me. It might be hard to explain it...I'll just leave it at the fact that I have my own system of morals and codes, and IMO sniping goes against those.

EDIT: Usually, I search for BINable auctions. To me, it saves a lot of hassle, because if you want it, there's no chance of someone else outbidding you on it and starting a bitter little war. I especially like auctions that are BIN-only. That way, no one can butt in and take it from you, assuming you're the only one eyeing that particular item. I've used BIN only a few times, but I prefer it over senseless feuding.

It seems Slag and I are in a minority, here. Not that I dislike you others for embracing the way of the snipe, to me, it's just not "right" in my eyes. Then again I'm one of those freaks who believes in having a sense of justice... *Waits for flames* Seriously, I'd rather bid honestly and be there to make the final bid myself, instead of letting an automated program do it for me. That feels like cheating to me. It might be hard to explain it...I'll just leave it at the fact that I have my own system of morals and codes, and IMO sniping goes against those.

EDIT: Usually, I search for BINable auctions. To me, it saves a lot of hassle, because if you want it, there's no chance of someone else outbidding you on it and starting a bitter little war. I especially like auctions that are BIN-only. That way, no one can butt in and take it from you, assuming you're the only one eyeing that particular item. I've used BIN only a few times, but I prefer it over senseless feuding.

Meta Ridley, no offense but bidding on auctions regardless of what kind, online or live in person, has absolutely nothing to do with justice. It has everything to do with money and who has the deepest pockets and sometimes, whom you know to seal the deal. It does not matter how you place the bid, honestly, if a machine bids for you, or you decide to bid on it yourself, the end result is either one of two situations: you'll win or lose. There are no morals and codes, it is about making money for the seller and the hoster of the auction venue, i.e. ebay or yahoo. Yes there are shill bidders but we aren't referring to people who bid to damage the auction, we are talking about the general responsible bidders who participate.

ALso, BIN auctions are convenience for bidders and seller, but you are only seeing one perspective from the side of the buyer. As a seller it is in your best interest to get as much as possible for each item. Even ifyou sell in large bulk selling them one at a time is a pain in the ass and creates higher overhead for you. Look at the prices of most completed BINs they aren't high, which means the seller isn't making much. If a seller could sell items BULK to a retailer or dealer they'd be willing to reduce the price slightly. But since they aren't, typically the BIN price you see are slightly lower than retail but factor in the cost of shipping and it usually equal retail if not higher.

BINs are first come first serve, so while you might feel you are not feuding over an item by getting into a bidding war, typically you aren't getting the best deals either. If you search the completed auctions for any item, i.e. G1 transformers how many are BINs? Don't be surprised to find there are far less BINs than regular seven day auctions. And check out the BINs for Binaltech or Alternator transformers, they aren't cheap at all.

As such, keep in mind BINs does not usually equal bargains. You are better off searching for them and bidding on regular auctions. And regardless of HOW and WHEN you bid, the goal remains the same... to WIN. Participating in auction is a battle you want to win. Otherwise why waste your time participating to begin with? You are wasting everyones time, the sellers and other bidders, as well as your own!

Archived