Why is Aaron Archer so evil?

Lord Madhammer

It doesn't help that copyright laws forced them to stop using a lot of those familiar names.

Myth #1

It's not that Hasbro/Takara can't get the rights to use the name, it's that they can't get the exclusive rights to use the name. They're using a new 'intepretation' of Trademark law that's much, much broader in power and scope than what was used an accepted in the 1980s.

And why are they doing it? Because they did it to themselves. They went after 'name recognition' arguments themselves in the early 1990s, and this is Karma coming back hard to bite them on the ass.

But unless there's another transforming action figure robot named 'Bumblebee',  with that specific use, they can use that name, legally, tommorow. It doesn't apply to all things toys and entertainment related - Hasbro just wants it to.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And it would do them well to abandon the gimmicks which merely seem to exist to compromise design.  Armada Hotshot was much better than Energon as they had to make a figure that could combine hence we had disproportionate TFs that (IMO) sucked big time.

What about the Alternators :P

natch

I was referring to the primary TF line.

As I'm sure you knew. :P

but MegGrimlock - would it matter?

if the shows and the characters and the molds were good - then the kids of today would be able to attach meaning to New names and not have to worry about the staying power of a 20 year old name.

At one point the name "Optimus Prime" did not exist-yet we all fell in love with him....

HunterRose

if the shows and the characters and the molds were good - then the kids of today would be able to attach meaning to New names and not have to worry about the staying power of a 20 year old name.

The trouble is, as we know, that Hasbro and Takara don't want to invest in making a good show, mold, character, etc -- they're not interested in the kind of marketing pushes we saw through the 1980s. That's why we're seeing a LOT of retreated concepts, and names, in recent years.

Let me sum up Transformers' main problem like this:

The Autobots and Decepticons arrive on Earth looking for <insert> that will give their side a decisive edge in their ongoing war. Eventually they get enough <insert> that they're forms are powered up. Megatron becomes so powerful with <insert> that he becomes Galvatron.

During their hunt for <insert> they find a <plot-device> that feeds on the power gained from <insert>. The <plot-device> turns out to be Unicron, forcing a final confrontation where the humans make use of <insert> to turn the tide.

Armada: Minicons

Energon: Energon

Cybertron: Force Chip Keys

The trouble is, as we know, that Hasbro and Takara don't want to invest in making a good show, mold, character, etc -- they're not interested in the kind of marketing pushes we saw through the 1980s. That's why we're seeing a LOT of retreated concepts, and names, in recent years.

Let me sum up Transformers' main problem like this:

yup

My problem with A/E/C is that it's *bland*. And IMO bland is worse than "trying to be good and sucking".

Why do I sense that that will be the summary for the story on the Cybertron packaging? Lame-ass storylines to back up your toyline have been a given with recent TF series. Energon may be a heaping embarrassment as a show, but the figures aren't bad -- if they had something that wasn't a steaming pile for the story and actually gave the characters good personalities and whatnot, TF might stand a chance, but as it is...well, let's just say that Cybertron is a new chance to rekindle interest, but if Hasbro botches that AND the movie...I seriously think TFs could die sometime. I hate to sound pessimistic, but with Energon's lower sales and Alternators only being really made for adult collectors, not to mention Universe's impending death, it's proof that the line doesn't have its staying power like it did up until RID.

Archived