Michael Bay Says Transformers 3 Goes Deeper - Unicron?

MISP Steve

I don't like them because they're all jittery and insane. Some of them are really silly too, like that razor-thin robot that stole the Allspark shard.

The personality dislike is valid, I got no counterargument to that. I actually thought "reedman" was kind of interesting though-- nice way to play up Ravage's "stealth" abilities without going to the tired and true Predator/Romulan/etc cloaking device.

Oh, and Miromasters were just Hasbro trying to cash-in on the new Micro Machines toys of the late 1980s. They are not Transformer characters that were tiny.

There's no doubt Hasbro was reaching for the Micro Machines market, but they most certainly *ARE* tiny Transformers, that's how they're portrayed in every canon I've seen.

I don't mean Ravage when I'm talking about small movie Transformers. Ravage was portrayed rather well.

There's a difference between what the fiction says and what Micromasters obviously were. That's why I have no problem when Hasbro decides to make Micromaster homages out of new Transformer toys.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a difference between what the fiction says and what Micromasters obviously were.

Toys?

By that logic though, you can also ignore any of the characterization from any series and call that red and blue truck guy "Joe". I entirely agree with your statement they were obviously Hasbro clutching at straws at a dwindling marketshare and trying to cash in on the next fad, but all the supporting material makes it clear they went all the way with that grab and made them micro in the in the supporting market fiction sense as well. To deny they're smaller robots is to ignore that piece of the canon (which is fine, I'm sure we all cherrypick stuff), though. It seems very obvious that WAS what they were intended to be however, given that's how they were advertised and how they were portrayed across the board.. Is there any support to show they were intended to be "full size" Transformers anywhere? I don't recall as such.

You know, the last time I went to go see a movie based on the premise that it was a sequel that was 'darker' than its predecessor, I saw The Lost World: Jurassic Park (a movie that shares many dubious details with TF: ROTF) and I nearly got shot.

All this on top of the fact that the movie, despite its darker tone, SUCKED like few would-be summer blockbusters have ever sucked before. A movie with this kind of money behind it does not HAVE THE RIGHT to be this bad.

You can't hold the fanbase responsible for what Bay & Co. perpetuate behind closed doors and subsequently sling at the public, on the grounds that they (obviously) can do so, and they know what's best. It was simply a bad movie. IMHO. It's got zip to do with 'hating' Michael Bay. It's got everything to do with hating the way he makes a movie. There's no discipline. No restraint. No dignity. He tells a story more or less at the 6th grade level of articulation, and doesn't even have the patience to follow through on that.

Bay doesn't have to like Transformers. I don't care. He could absolutely hate them, but TFs have made Mr. Bay a ton of money, have made him more relevant than he has ever been (not that he was some obscure filmmaker before)and people show up in droves to see his film. He could at least treat the subject matter with some level of dignity. But he didn't then, he isn't doing it today and he won't muster up the energy to do it tomorrow. Which is fine. It's his right. It's also hyprocritical, but what the hey. He's strictly in it for the money--we know that going in--and the titular characters suffer a wee bit because of it.

Forget the darker tone, because Bay can't deliver. And it's not just him. Outside of the character designers, no one connected with the Bayverse has shown much of an aptitude for the TF mythos. And as for the postulated 'darker tone': If the movie was good to begin with, we would not even be having this discussion. No one would care about tone. Just give me a good, reasonably coherent film. Come on, Michael Bay. I'm not asking for much, and I am not that hard to please. My god, I managed to find the silver lining in Deep-Star Six, so I know of what I speak.

And if Bay is serious about including Unicron, I FEAR what I'll see on the big screen. I'm talking white-knuckled, knee-buckling, sperm-count reducing, single-bead of dramatically descending perspiration FEAR.

There's a difference between what the fiction says and what Micromasters obviously were.

Toys?

By that logic though, you can also ignore any of the characterization from any series and call that red and blue truck guy "Joe". I entirely agree with your statement they were obviously Hasbro clutching at straws at a dwindling marketshare and trying to cash in on the next fad, but all the supporting material makes it clear they went all the way with that grab and made them micro in the in the supporting market fiction sense as well. To deny they're smaller robots is to ignore that piece of the canon (which is fine, I'm sure we all cherrypick stuff), though. It seems very obvious that WAS what they were intended to be however, given that's how they were advertised and how they were portrayed across the board.. Is there any support to show they were intended to be "full size" Transformers anywhere? I don't recall as such.

Why wouldn't they be? There even playsets to go with the toys. Are we to think that there was really a miniature rocket launching pad to go with Countdown? A small service station to go with Grease Pit? I could think of them as full-sized vehicles, with smaller, more efficient robot modes, but that's as far it goes with me.

Toys?

Why wouldn't they be? There even playsets to go with the toys. Are we to think that there was really a miniature rocket launching pad to go with Countdown? A small service station to go with Grease Pit? I could think of them as full-sized vehicles, with smaller, more efficient robot modes, but that's as far it goes with me.

Mike, I have to agree with Greatshot on the Micromasters here. They were portrayed in fiction as significantly smaller bots, even smaller than G1 Bumblebee. The average Micromaster only stood about 6 or 7 feet tall at the most. They stand about the same height as a tall Human being. They didn't even come close to 10 feet. This is consistent from as far back as Marvel, through Dreamwave, and into IDW. They are indeed micro-sized Cybertronians, not simply micro sized toys of full-sized characters.

As for Michael Bay and the movies so far, I'm actually very pleased with them. I loved both movies and am looking forward to the third. I'm hoping to see Unicron in his full planet eating glory as well. Now, as for the comments about Bay not bringing in more of the TF lore in RotF when he had said he would, that is patently false. He idid indeed bring in more of the lore of the TF multiverse namely the Original Thirteen (in particular the leaders of them, the Primes), the Fallen, and tidbits of the Transformers origins. All that's left is Primus and Unicron, and Primus is already essentially there except by name.

I say we discover in the 3rd movie.. that the planet earth.. is really unicron... it will come alive and throw all the GPS satellites to heck.

In a back flash explaination - we'l go back in time when there were dinobots roaming the planet. There will be tons of grimlocks (because if ppl like 1 they will love a million of them).

ok.. i'm just talking out of my neck. Fact is, they make a TF movie, and i'll be thre with bells on. Love it or hate it -- just to see how they did and enjoy whatever is possible. It's just a damn shame that this is Michael Bay insetad of a better producer. I suggest we all keep our expectations DOWN.. and maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised and enjoy it more - even if it isn't a masterpiece of a movie.

Archived