Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

TFormers Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

idw...a few years on...what do we think?

Recommended Posts

I've enjoyed it overall. The whole "magnificence" thing was... not worth talking about.

 

But mostly I think the complaints of continuity problems are exaggerated, and this is the best rendition of G1 we've ever gotten.

  • 2 weeks later...

I've really enjoyed IDW's run, took a while to get set up but thanks to the spotlights in particular we have a fleshed out universe. Have not read All Hail Megatron #12 or any of the following issues since I am in Iraq, but i hope to catch up on that stuff once i get home.

  • 2 weeks later...

I notice one fundamental difference between the IDW and DW TF comics.

 

1) DW stories typically involved tons of different small stories and casts of characters, where each player (or team of players) would be touched on for a few pages of each issue, and all of these stories somehow affected a larger "main" plot.

 

The IDW books have done a similar thing. HOWEVER it's almost always stretched out over multiple miniseries, tons of 1-shots, etc...

 

 

IMO, the DW style made each book feel constantly exciting, and always left you wanting more. Like a film crosscutting between all the different players during the climax of a grand action/adventure movie.

 

Think...umm...almost like the wrap up of the grand scheme in the "Oceans 11" series. Lots of kinetic energy. Getting to see all the threads of the plot get woven together in a single telling, with everything staying in motion.

 

The IDW stuff, by comparison, is boring and watered down. Most of the stories haven't required all of the issues they're given. And a lot of the 1-shots feel like they could have been 6 pages shorter.

 

 

Also, to be honest, I don't like Simon Furman as a comic writer because...

 

1) I don't think he's good at giving different characters unique voices without turning them into caricatures. His bots always sound the same, OR sound comically different. One of the things I really enjoyed from AHM was bots getting some decent, "character accurate" dialogue.

 

2) His directorial style in terms of both layouts, and panel beats (the pacing of the story as told through the panel layouts size, placement before and after ads, etc...), to me screams late 80's/ early 90's.

 

Where most of the industry has evolved into more of a widescreen/cinematic kind of pacing, (think Megs decimating that skyscraper in one panel, and the next page being devoted to him walking away, silently in AHM, or Captain America learning what year it is, and the next panel is a bunch of guards being kicked through his hospital door in Ultimates ser. 1, vol. 1... or anything Grant Morrison, or Geoff Johns has been putting out lately), Furman's style feels antiquated to me. I feel like I can see his next panel coming, and more times than not, I do, and have thought of better fitting dialogue.

 

Don't get me wrong. I don't HATE Furman.

 

He weaves a decent tapestry in terms of the universe as a whole, especially when viewed from afar, but under the microscope, panel by panel, It's not very pretty.

 

Also, In his favor, I do appreciate how he's helped to build (and rebuild) the TF comic universe with a genuine love and affection for the characters, even if I think he's not the best character writer.

 

Maybe it's the lack of editorial direction?

 

IDK.

 

What I do know, though, is I love comics, and I love TFs, so I'll likely read it all either way.

 

That being said, I'm more excited by the prospect of turning up the old issues of DW's run that I missed out on, than the current direction of IDW's TF verse.

I got tired of IDW. They should have started a monthly Transformers comic from the beginning. I'm not reading their stuff anymore. The same goes for IDW's G.I. Joe comics. I like to keep my comics list small, with only a few essentials, so IDW's comics were always on my chopping block.

I notice one fundamental difference between the IDW and DW TF comics.

 

1) DW stories typically involved tons of different small stories and casts of characters, where each player (or team of players) would be touched on for a few pages of each issue, and all of these stories somehow affected a larger "main" plot.

 

The IDW books have done a similar thing. HOWEVER it's almost always stretched out over multiple miniseries, tons of 1-shots, etc...

 

 

IMO, the DW style made each book feel constantly exciting, and always left you wanting more. Like a film crosscutting between all the different players during the climax of a grand action/adventure movie.

 

Think...umm...almost like the wrap up of the grand scheme in the "Oceans 11" series. Lots of kinetic energy. Getting to see all the threads of the plot get woven together in a single telling, with everything staying in motion.

 

The IDW stuff, by comparison, is boring and watered down. Most of the stories haven't required all of the issues they're given. And a lot of the 1-shots feel like they could have been 6 pages shorter.

 

 

Also, to be honest, I don't like Simon Furman as a comic writer because...

 

1) I don't think he's good at giving different characters unique voices without turning them into caricatures. His bots always sound the same, OR sound comically different. One of the things I really enjoyed from AHM was bots getting some decent, "character accurate" dialogue.

 

2) His directorial style in terms of both layouts, and panel beats (the pacing of the story as told through the panel layouts size, placement before and after ads, etc...), to me screams late 80's/ early 90's.

 

Where most of the industry has evolved into more of a widescreen/cinematic kind of pacing, (think Megs decimating that skyscraper in one panel, and the next page being devoted to him walking away, silently in AHM, or Captain America learning what year it is, and the next panel is a bunch of guards being kicked through his hospital door in Ultimates ser. 1, vol. 1... or anything Grant Morrison, or Geoff Johns has been putting out lately), Furman's style feels antiquated to me. I feel like I can see his next panel coming, and more times than not, I do, and have thought of better fitting dialogue.

 

Don't get me wrong. I don't HATE Furman.

 

He weaves a decent tapestry in terms of the universe as a whole, especially when viewed from afar, but under the microscope, panel by panel, It's not very pretty.

 

Also, In his favor, I do appreciate how he's helped to build (and rebuild) the TF comic universe with a genuine love and affection for the characters, even if I think he's not the best character writer.

 

Maybe it's the lack of editorial direction?

 

IDK.

 

What I do know, though, is I love comics, and I love TFs, so I'll likely read it all either way.

 

That being said, I'm more excited by the prospect of turning up the old issues of DW's run that I missed out on, than the current direction of IDW's TF verse.

 

I completely agree outside of the last part, I'm not going out of my way for thes books, I gave it a try a couple times, but they just failed to grab me. If I come across them fine, otherwise...

 

And yes, Furman should maybe be an overall editor or something, nice ideas, just poor execution.

  • 3 weeks later...

i love idw they need to keep going and hopefully one day be as big as marvel or dc (probably wishful thinking)

  • 1 month later...

I've been pleased with everything from IDW thus far except for AHM which I found mediocre at best. (-_-)

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sign Up For The TNI Newsletter And Have The News Delivered To You!
SOCIAL NETWORKS

ToyNewsI MarvelousNews Tformers JediInsider
Entertainment News International (ENI) is the oldest, largest, and most popular news source for adult toy collectors (kidults) all around the world.

Get the scoop every day on all the popular culture action figures, comics, games, movies, toys, and more!

Contact and Support
Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy


All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Please Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.