Review: Universe Ironhide Figure

Blitz-Wing

Plus, a Scion is about as un-Ironhide-y as possible, when you think of it.

Exactly. It's waaay cooler than that mom taxi alt mode that classically represents Ironhide. :tfpwn

He's got a set of regular roof-lights molded underneath.

:orly

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually just picked up Ironhide; although I prefer to leave Classics toys as-is, I did go ahead and paint over his light blue windows with transparent blue. Not only does it make the wild seams less apparent - especially since I wasn't able to get the cleanest paint job in the world in the short time I painted it - but it seems to match the transparent windows better. I am disappointed by some of the issues with the figure, such as some of the joined plastic, such as on his feet and back window frame, not wanting to stay tightly together, and the fact that the body doesn't want to sit flush with the "spine" of grey plastic; overall, though, he's okay. Considering his complex transformation, it's nice that he has full waist articulation. I am, however, planning to exchange the Sideswipe I picked up; his left arm not only comes off entirely too easily at the shoulder, but the door panel is much too loose, and I can't get to the screw to tighten it...

Exactly. It's waaay cooler than that mom taxi alt mode that classically represents Ironhide. :tfpwn

Back in the '80s, vans were cool. They were like SUVs... before they turned into mom-taxis.

Seriously, go ask the A-Team.

Skids had the head first. And Alternators Skids is a dead ringer for... G1 Skids.

But yeah, everyone's noticed the similarity between Alternators Skids and G1 Ironhide and have been clamoring for a redeco. Many customs have been done. But I don't think anyone actually believes the mold was intended for Ironhide.

I never had the G1 toy. When it came out I didn't even believe it was a real transformer at first (I saw one out of the box with no autobot decal applied), I was sure it was a tformer wanna be (it was the first all plastic, cheapy bot in the line)-

anyway, I digress. In all the pictures I can find, he's got a much leaner face, and MORE IMPORTANTLY, seems to have TWO EAR or HORN like RIDGES on his head to the sides rather than 1 Central crest like new skids has and Ironhide has always had. There's also the matter of how lean Skids used to be verses how bulky the new one is.

But the main thing is the two crests and the leaner face. Anybody else agree? Are the pictures I found of the final released Skids?

Lastly, a Scion really is a pretty inline with those old tiny mini vans G1 ironhide and ratchet hailed from.

Back in the '80s, vans were cool. They were like SUVs... before they turned into mom-taxis.

Seriously, go ask the A-Team.

Yeah, but the little japanese econo boxes (which Ironhide and Ratchet were) weren't nearly as cool as the bigger US made cars and vans were back then. It wasn't until the late 80's and early 90's when people really began to notice that japenese cars were not only way more fuel efficient, but also running much longer with fewer mechanical failures.

Skids had the head first. And Alternators Skids is a dead ringer for... G1 Skids.

But yeah, everyone's noticed the similarity between Alternators Skids and G1 Ironhide and have been clamoring for a redeco. Many customs have been done. But I don't think anyone actually believes the mold was intended for Ironhide.

I never had the G1 toy. When it came out I didn't even believe it was a real transformer at first (I saw one out of the box with no autobot decal applied), I was sure it was a tformer wanna be (it was the first all plastic, cheapy bot in the line)-

anyway, I digress. In all the pictures I can find, he's got a much leaner face, and MORE IMPORTANTLY, seems to have TWO EAR or HORN like RIDGES on his head to the sides rather than 1 Central crest like new skids has and Ironhide has always had. There's also the matter of how lean Skids used to be verses how bulky the new one is.

But the main thing is the two crests and the leaner face. Anybody else agree? Are the pictures I found of the final released Skids?

Lastly, a Scion really is a pretty inline with those old tiny mini vans G1 ironhide and ratchet hailed from.

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Skids

http://www.tfu.info/1985/Autobot/Skids/skids.htm

Look at Skids' head from his animation and comic models. Now look at his Alternator's head. They're damn near identical. Most Alts are combinations of the animation model and toy, hence why Tracks has a mouth when his toy never did.

Transformers fiction basically treated Skids as a minivan and Ironhide as a van (though they were a subcompact and a vanette respectively) and a Scion doesn't really match Ironhide's personality or what his alt-mode was portrayed as. Honestly, I think the best Ironhide Alt would be either Rollbar or Optimus Prime with a red version of Skids' head.

I'm not denying that their heads are similar, far from it. But the idea that the figure started as Ironhide then got repurposed as Skids is pretty far-fetched, considering the resemblance is one of the strongest in the Alternators line.

This is the first universe/classics that NEEDS modification IMO. Hasbro's paint is poor and scarce. Re-did face, windows, lower grill and hubs. Planning to paint shoulders gunmetal and thighs silver. Did the leg swap mod to make him as tall as Sunstreaker, then used a heat blade to allow heel parts to flip under feet to make him TV series height accurate. Robot mode looks awesome now. Vehicle mode seams still look like it was hit w a hammer and glued back together.

I don't have my G1 Ironhide right in front of me, but I'm quite certain it wasn't all plastic. I know it had rubber tires at least, and I'm pretty sure there was some metal in there somewhere.

Archived