My thoughts on Onslaught and Powerglide

jeremyes

"Neither figure falls into the must-buy category, though I have no regrets about Onslaught and many about Powerglide. Onslaught is a nice, menacing toy, if not a little plain, and has excellent play value. Powerglide needs major changes to be a fun toy that's not awkward looking. I love the idea of a plane transformer that does not have wings sticking out, but this toy feels incomplete and too much a slave to the original design."

Want to read more and view a couple pictures: check out http://yearwithout.blogspot.com/.

post-8655-1217203147_thumb.jpg

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The wings are the biggest part, and to me, it feels like keeping that design caused many other choices that took away from the figure. Having the arms come off the wings throws off the proportions for me. If the engines were smaller and didn't make the chest so wide, it would have made the toy a lot better looking. More than anything else, it just wasn't a fun toy to play with.

Can you elaborate on slave to the original design?

Outside of the arms hanging off the wings, I hardly see it as Powerglide as is.

I'm on the fence about it.

I will get it, don't get me wrong, but I don't like the white version, the blue one is pretty all right. Takara got it right, but with MP Thundercracker, Magnus, The City Commander upgrade for Classics Magnus, and Henkie Thundercracker on preorder already as well as a bunch of GI Joe and other stuff...

I gotta start watching my import budget.

Hence, I'm not sure which version of PowerGlide I'm gonna be getting.

at one point, I had them both in my HTS cart. I ended up looking through the pics again, and ended up removing them. Neither one of them pulled at me enough. Besides, I really oughta start saving up to be gouged for an Alternators Wheeljack.

I'm a sucker for jet TFs... but his head sculpt and legs and manboobs are soooooo wonky looking. Onslaught seemed really cool... but he kinda just felt like Movie Brawl in a different suit. And his head sculpt didn't really do anything for me either.

Damn, you guys can be picky. Onslaught would definitely be my least favorite of the two, but still awsum. I enjoyed Powerglide's complex transformation, and the fact that he's HUGE doesn't hurt, either.

Onslaught is really kind of boring all around, really. Boring transformation, boring SFX, no gun...just boring.

at one point, I had them both in my HTS cart. I ended up looking through the pics again, and ended up removing them. Neither one of them pulled at me enough. Besides, I really oughta start saving up to be gouged for an Alternators Wheeljack.

I'm a sucker for jet TFs... but his head sculpt and legs and manboobs are soooooo wonky looking. Onslaught seemed really cool... but he kinda just felt like Movie Brawl in a different suit. And his head sculpt didn't really do anything for me either.

i picked up an alt wheeljack for about £10/£15 (can't remember) a-g-e-s ago & they went down to £5 over here

shoot me a PM if you can get any cool voyager or ultra figures near you & you want to trade :thumb (or maybe an SDCC nemesis prime :schin )

back on topic...

powerglide sucks but i'm looking forwards to getting onslaught :)

Onslaught looks good (but, as you mentioned, a bit plain). Powerglide, on the other hand, looks flat-out bad. The robot mode looks mediocre at best, and awkwardly proportioned. And his plane mode just looks straight up bad. Worse than movie Screamer, in my book. I'll take undercarriage kibble over excessive kibble EVERYWHERE... I do like the colors of the Hasbro version, though.

Onslaught looks good to me, but Powerglide is definitely a fencepost type of bot.

The fact that both are Ultra class @ $27 is :fail to me. There would have been more love if these had been Voyagers, IMO

Archived