Animated Snarl review

Beefkr10z

Is there any chance that Snarl's club could fit in his mouth, in alternate mode? I'm hoping to get at least one of these new Dinobots to look like they're breathing fire. :tfevil

I tried that, and unfortunately, there's no easy way I could see to make him breathe carrot.

I bet it'd fit in Grimlock's dino mouth, though.

That's what she said.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still not satisfied with that excuse for the change of name from Slag to Snarl.

As others have said, it's not as if Hasbro hadn't had other Transformers with questionable names.

e.g.

Slapper

Night Slash Cheetor (slash meaning to take a pi5s)

Scattor (scat means sh!t)

Scattorshot (to shoot sh!t)

Scattorbrain (sh!t for brains!)

...and the most notoriously unfortunately named Transformer in TF history...

Windbreaker (what's that smell?)

If this had been a female character, I could understand why calling it Slag may be offensive in the UK... but it's not. It's a male robot.

Alternatively it could've called Snarl in the UK and Slag in other markets. It wouldn't be the first time that a Transformer has had different names in different regions.

e.g.: Optimus Prime (English), Convoy (Japanese), Commander (Italian), Iron Ox (Chinese), Optimus Primus (French-Canadian & Czech), Optimusz Fővezér/Prájm (Hungarian), Lider Optimus/Supremus Absolutus (Brazilian) et al.

I think the world needs to quit it with making double meanings for the same word. What the heck were our lazy ancestors thinking! Slag was always molten volcano contents in my eyes...cripes!

Anyway, the scale actually miffs me more. Just found Grimlock yesterday (since it seems I'm the last one in the world to get one), and the main thing that bugs me is that he's shorter than Voyager Prime in robot mode! AAARGH!!! So ol' Snarl/Slag here is gonna look tiny. I know fellow TF fans like to call out us "scale phags" for complaining, but proper sizing is one thing that will always bug me to death.

When it comes to names like "Slag" people need to remember a little thing called context. Slag is a Dinobot flamethrower - and thus the name refers to his ability to melt metals down to slag.

Slag isn't even a country wide slang term, I grew up hearing it (South coast) but my friends son watches Animated (he's 4) and neither of them bat an eyelid to Slag -having never heard it, except occasionally from me.

Wow....does any of this really matter? It's the name for a non-speaking supporting character's toy.

Wow....does any of this really matter? It's the name for a non-speaking supporting character's toy.

The way I see it, you can:

1) Call him Snarl, and get over it.

2) Call him Slag, and get over it.

3) Shut up Hornet, and get over it.

or

4) GET OVER IT!

Archived