Transformers... circa 1967!

Pascal

Gobots was originally derived from a Japanese toy line called Machine Robo which came out in 1982 in Japan. New Microman Micro Change first came out in 1981. Diaclone came out in 1980 but most of the Diaclone figures which became Transformers I believe came out in 1982-3.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what about Goldar, when was that show made? he changed from agiant gold robot to a jet, right?

Yeah, no.

Believe it or not, but Transformers actually evolved from G.I. Joe. It pretty much works like this:

+ 1964: G.I. Joe debuts (original 305mm dolls w/ kung fu grip)

+ ??? (late 1960s, early 70s): Takara uses G.I. Joe moulds to create Combat Joe in 203mm & 305mm sizes.

+ 1972: Takara releases the Henshin Cyborg line, spun off from Combat Joe but with clear plastic bodies exposing shiny cybernetic implants and the 'atomic engine.'

+ ??? (1970s): Takara produces a miniature version of Henshin Cyborg called Microman - later imported to Western markets by Mego as "Micronauts."

+ 1980: Takara releases Diaclone

+ Early 1980s: Takara produces "New Microman" with a subline called "Micro-Change."

+ 1984: Hasbro combines selected moulds from Diaclone and Micro-Change and releases them as a single line called The Transformers.

...and thus action figure history is born. :)

"Now you know; and knowing is half the battle!"

Well it was going to happen sooner or later.

...and the other half is violence. :)

what about Goldar, when was that show made? he changed from agiant gold robot to a jet, right?

You're referring to "Ambassador Magma", a TV series based on a manga series by Tezuka Osamu. But yeah, that would definitely be one of the oldest examples of henkei mecha and it even predates stuff like Brave Raideen which was one of the earliest examples of the Super Robot genre. Having said that, Magma is technically not a robot but a living giant forged from gold. Tezuka's more famous manga/animé title Mighty Atom (aka Astroboy) was the first manga/animé to feature a combining gestalt robots (46 wrestling robots who merged into a giant centipede) although they didn't have individual alt modes so they're not really henkei mecha.

Ambassador Magma

magma10o.jpgtvh-goldar-403x371.jpg

Mighty Atom kicks some combiner arse

astroboy01.jpg

...and the other half is violence. :)

You're referring to "Ambassador Magma", a TV series based on a manga series by Tezuka Osamu. But yeah, that would definitely be one of the oldest examples of henkei mecha and it even predates stuff like Brave Raideen which was one of the earliest examples of the Super Robot genre. Having said that, Magma is technically not a robot but a living giant forged from gold. Tezuka's more famous manga/animé title Mighty Atom (aka Astroboy) was the first manga/animé to feature a combining gestalt robots (46 wrestling robots who merged into a giant centipede) although they didn't have individual alt modes so they're not really henkei mecha.

Ambassador Magma

magma10o.jpgtvh-goldar-403x371.jpg

Mighty Atom kicks some combiner arse

astroboy01.jpg

Man when I was a kid, the world stopped for Goldar to come on.

My grandma always said that's why I love transformers so much. I would pretend to be the kid. hey Goki what were the characters names on the U.S. show? I remember Goldar and silvar. what were the rest? there was the kid, the wizard and the kids friend that I remember.

you know all that crap about writers, years and origins and don't know the names on the u.s. show? O_o

Man when I was a kid, the world stopped for Goldar to come on.

My grandma always said that's why I love transformers so much. I would pretend to be the kid. hey Goki what were the characters names on the U.S. show? I remember Goldar and silvar. what were the rest? there was the kid, the wizard and the kids friend that I remember.

Yeh, I watched that show (along with Spectreman and Ultraman) religiously after school when I was a kid. The three "robot family" characters were Goldar, Silvar and Gam. The human kid was called Miko and the wizard dude that took care of the robot family was called Methuseum.

I've got all 52 eps on DVD and damn, it had some CHEEZY moments but it's still great fun to watch

Archived