Tom DeSanto Interview

Cliffjumper69

at some point though, don't you lose the reason for putting him in a movie to begin with? But I guess that does depend on what you consider to be the core of the character. To me it's the dinosaur thing.

I agree that it depends on what you view is the core of the Character (which is why Atmo has such trouble with movie Starscream). To me, Grimlock is a very tough, powerful, military tactician who often (but not always) uses violence and strongarming, as well as his team's overall power to win battles...more so than a T-Rex with the intelligence of a 3 year old.

EDIT - However, I honestly don't mind him being a T-Rex in the movies if the story makes it work in the films. What I don't want is another retard-minded Grimlock.

<_<

I might have to fan-argue with you on that point.

Oy - I honestly don't think I could handle a bumbling idiot Grimlock, sorry Pete.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
at some point though, don't you lose the reason for putting him in a movie to begin with? But I guess that does depend on what you consider to be the core of the character. To me it's the dinosaur thing.

I agree that it depends on what you view is the core of the Character (which is why Atmo has such trouble with movie Starscream). To me, Grimlock is a very tough, powerful, military tactician who often (but not always) uses violence and strongarming, as well as his team's overall power to win battles...more so than a T-Rex with the intelligence of a 3 year old.

EDIT - However, I honestly don't mind him being a T-Rex in the movies if the story makes it work in the films. What I don't want is another retard-minded Grimlock.

<_<

Oy - I honestly don't think I could handle a bumbling idiot Grimlock, sorry Pete.

hey, it's not like I want him to be serving hors d'oeuvres or anything :tflaugh

As with many things GeeWun, I tend to think of Grimlock as he appeared in the first season of the show. The words "blunt instrument" come to mind. He wasn't played for comedy at first. I also liked his "I'm stronger than Optimus" thing and his barely concealed disdain for Prime... unlike Starscream, he actually was stronger than his leader. Physically, anyway.

What would robot dinosaurs add to these movies? Really?

Um...

Jurassic Park (1993 blockbuster) + Transformers (2007 blockbuster) = Transformers 2 (2010 blockbuster)!!!

<_<

As with many things GeeWun, I tend to think of Grimlock as he appeared in the first season of the show. The words "blunt instrument" come to mind. He wasn't played for comedy at first. I also liked his "I'm stronger than Optimus" thing and his barely concealed disdain for Prime... unlike Starscream, he actually was stronger than his leader. Physically, anyway.

But can't those aspects of him work as a tank? You just described a completely different character than Warpath.

<_<

In the comics, Grimlock still had disdain for Prime, until he realized Prime was actually a better overall Leader than him. Then he conceded to being one of Prime's top field commanders and advisors. I guess I could live with a mildly-intelligent Grimlock who is a bit dull, but not a total dumbass. Jesus Christ, no Dino-Tard Grimmy please.

<_<

In the comics, Grimlock still had disdain for Prime, until he realized Prime was actually a better overall Leader than him. Then he conceded to being one of Prime's top field commanders and advisors. I guess I could live with a mildly-intelligent Grimlock who is a bit dull, but not a total dumbass. Jesus Christ, no Dino-Tard Grimmy please.

:tflaugh :tflaugh

I should clarify that Dino-Tard Grimlock makes me want to smash my face into a cement block until I forget who I am.

Like I said, it all depends on which Toon Grimlock you're talking about. "Desertion of the Dinobots" was cool. "Dinobot Island" was not cool. "War of the Dinobots" was cool. "Everything he appeared in from TF:TM onward" was not cool.

Whenever they focused on Grimlock's stupidity, the character suffered IMO. He became comic relief (of a sort). I firmly believe that "not smart" and "not funny" aren't mutually exclusive. What made Grimlock interesting to me was the fact that he was a loose cannon. He was highly effective in what he did, but he could just as easily turn his attention on the other Autobots if he felt like it. (One other reason why I like his dino mode -- I feel that it set him apart from the other Autobots, giving him perhaps one more thing to feel 1337 about.) I just think there was a really interesting character dynamic with him and Prime, even though admittedly it wasn't explored as often or as well as it could have been. But like I said, there are moments in the show where it's handled well. But there are also a lot of moments where you're really wishing that the Dinobots would just fall off a cliff or something.

Perhaps our ideas of what Grimlock should be are closer than it seems. I think the only thing I would personally not like to see is a Grimlock who's an effective strategist. Or if so, make it so his *only* skill is in warfare. No social skills or any interest in any of that. But then, maybe that's who he is in the comics. I dunno.

What made Grimlock interesting to me was the fact that he was a loose cannon. He was highly effective in what he did, but he could just as easily turn his attention on the other Autobots if he felt like it. (One other reason why I like his dino mode -- I feel that it set him apart from the other Autobots, giving him perhaps one more thing to feel 1337 about.) I just think there was a really interesting character dynamic with him and Prime.

This is how Grimlock was in the comics originally. After becoming leader (elected no less) anyone that went against, he bullied them into his side or he exiled them/they left cause of Grimlock's hatred of the weak and his orders. Blaster (who is nothing like his Cartoon version) was one of the TFs Grimlock pissed off, and Blaster left the Autobots. Grimlock had the Protectobots hunt Blaster down, trying to bring him back for "trial". Grimlock thought of himself as the 1337 leader and robot. He also felt his Dinobots were the best Cybertronians ever created. He felt the Autobots would loose the war if the Dinobots were not around to help them. Grimlock always stayed a loose cannon, even LATE into the comics, as a righthand to Prime.

Perhaps our ideas of what Grimlock should be are closer than it seems. I think the only thing I would personally not like to see is a Grimlock who's an effective strategist. Or if so, make it so his *only* skill is in warfare. No social skills or any interest in any of that. But then, maybe that's who he is in the comics. I dunno.

I can agree to this. Even if Grimlock was known to trick the 'Cons, and Starscream no less.

I should clarify that Dino-Tard Grimlock makes me want to smash my face into a cement block until I forget who I am.

:tflaugh :tfrofl

that's going in my sig. oh man. lol

What made Grimlock interesting to me was the fact that he was a loose cannon. He was highly effective in what he did, but he could just as easily turn his attention on the other Autobots if he felt like it. (One other reason why I like his dino mode -- I feel that it set him apart from the other Autobots, giving him perhaps one more thing to feel 1337 about.) I just think there was a really interesting character dynamic with him and Prime.

This is how Grimlock was in the comics originally. After becoming leader (elected no less) anyone that went against, he bullied them into his side or he exiled them/they left cause of Grimlock's hatred of the weak and his orders. Blaster (who is nothing like his Cartoon version) was one of the TFs Grimlock pissed off, and Blaster left the Autobots. Grimlock had the Protectobots hunt Blaster down, trying to bring him back for "trial". Grimlock thought of himself as the 1337 leader and robot. He also felt his Dinobots were the best Cybertronians ever created. He felt the Autobots would loose the war if the Dinobots were not around to help them. Grimlock always stayed a loose cannon, even LATE into the comics, as a righthand to Prime.

Interesting to know. I like that a lot. It reminds me of some of the story arcs in the new Battlestar Galactica, if you watch that.

<_<

I think this is your problem

It's the character that makes the TF. He can work as "not a dino" if you remove the fan-goggles.

Robot dinosaurs are ghey ghey ghey anyway :tflaugh

Archived