Why do humans never get killed in TFs?

Pascal

OR NOT....

I take it that most of you don't have kids.

Hey, it was the 80s and it was before all this PC rubbish came about, the series was very good before the violence and after the violence it ended with a funeral, which was really well done and quite tear jerking.  Even if I did have kids, I wouldn't be trying to dumb them down, I would let them see the news so that they can see, a somewhat filtered, view of the world around them.  Violence is everywhere in life, better to learn of it early instead of being shocked when you're older.

I think the scariest kids programme they showed was something in the 80s, which I can't remember the name of, it was on during Sunday mornings and in one episode it showed a couple of kids walking in the forest and they came across Death who wasn't exactly very friendly to them.  He turned to them, his hood slipped a little to show his features and the kids pratically messed themselves in horror, then they ran for it as Death just stood there.  Wasn't much of a programme really, but that scene sticks in my memory the most because of how terrifiying it was at the time.

-Chuckles

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OR NOT....  

I take it that most of you don't have kids.

Hey, it was the 80s and it was before all this PC rubbish came about, the series was very good before the violence and after the violence it ended with a funeral, which was really well done and quite tear jerking.  Even if I did have kids, I wouldn't be trying to dumb them down, I would let them see the news so that they can see, a somewhat filtered, view of the world around them.  Violence is everywhere in life, better to learn of it early instead of being shocked when you're older.

I think the scariest kids programme they showed was something in the 80s, which I can't remember the name of, it was on during Sunday mornings and in one episode it showed a couple of kids walking in the forest and they came across Death who wasn't exactly very friendly to them.  He turned to them, his hood slipped a little to show his features and the kids pratically messed themselves in horror, then they ran for it as Death just stood there.  Wasn't much of a programme really, but that scene sticks in my memory the most because of how terrifiying it was at the time.

Tony.

That's exactly why there shouldn't be that kind of violence in cartoons. Kids have plenty of time to learn about the 'real world' as adults.

That sounds like a wonderful thing to expose young children to. Perhaps if you're a parent one day and you have to console a child who has recurring nightmares, you might feel differently about it.

These are ALL children's shows. If you want something more adult, watch something more adult.

Don't forget about the TF Novels. Bunches of folks got killed in there...rather graphically...so the first book rather sucked. I figure you can find it at a Dollar General for a $1. (I found the 2nd one there, which was better than the first..)

Aoi

I have never seen an 80s cartoon show where the main character dies in the series itself. the closest thing was Prim dying in the movie. To be honest with you, back then I was sick of the good guys winning all the time. I wanted Prime to die....When I actually saw it happen though, it was sad and I really missed the Characters that died.

That sounds like a wonderful thing to expose young children to. Perhaps if you're a parent one day and you have to console a child who has recurring nightmares, you might feel differently about it.

These are ALL children's shows. If you want something more adult, watch something more adult.

Perhaps, if that ever gets to happen.  Have you ever seen the listings for a lot of adult UK programmes?  It's all a tad disappointing.  So far the best adult programmes that don't degenerate into mindless sex orgies of bad taste and terrible jokes are Emmeradale, Coranation Street, The Bill, which has some light violence, and A Touch of Frost.  Everything else tends to be either rubbish or mind numbing, like all the X-Factor/Pop Idol/Come Dancing rubbish that gets shown a lot.  And then there's all the sport.

So far the most violent thing I've seen on UK TV these days was last night in Coranation Street when there was a very mild cat fight between Sally Webster and Janice.  Usually the more violent things are done with a noise in the background and shadows.  Not even the news shows a lot of real world violence, it just talks about what happened.  The area I live in has some violent times, like druggies attacking people, a few shootings and almost ten years ago a druggie was killed by an axe slammed into his skull.  Lovely area I live in.

After seeing violence in this area for so long, a lot of the kids here either go the same way or try to ignore it as best as possible, which isn't always easy to do.

-Chuckles

I have never seen an 80s cartoon show where the main character dies in the series itself. the closest thing was Prim dying in the movie. To be honest with you, back then I was sick of the good guys winning all the time. I wanted Prime to die....When I actually saw it happen though, it was sad and I really missed the Characters that died.

I was also glad Prime was killed but then felt guilty because Rodimus Prime was the new leader.

Let's be honest, how many of us didn't cry at Prime's death the first time we saw the movie?  Odd that because when you see Tom and Jery and see how much cartoon violence there is in that, there's never any tears of unhappiness, just tears of laughter.

Tony. 

Let's be honest, how many of us didn't cry at Prime's death the first time we saw the movie?  Odd that because when you see Tom and Jery and see how much cartoon violence there is in that, there's never any tears of unhappiness, just tears of laughter.

Tony.

There's a difference between cartoon violence which doesn't bring about death and the type of violence where characters die from it.

Archived