Alternators Optimus Prime

Father Time

Is Alternators Optimus Prime a Good idea, or a Bad idea?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Is Alternators Optimus Prime a Good idea, or a Bad idea?

• Good Idea
    • Bad Idea
    • I'll refrain from formalizing an opinion until the final product is shown

im not reading this topic. i read the first one before it surpassed 10 pages. now theres another? hasnt it been discussed enough? ill make the point i did in the last topic.

if a binaltech/alt megatron is released he wouldnt be to scale with mp prime so then youll be wanting a prime to go with him. and i think it goes to show that where theres a prime, theres a megatron.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm glad to actually be getting a full size truck alt/bt... And like mentioned before Takara wouldn't actually make a US Truck unless it was Prime/Convoy. Which is why I believe they had plans for him to be actually another character, like others have mentioned his transformation looks more like Trailbreaker and Hoist design.

i'm glad we have the truck too, but optimus was the biggest character among the original cast, except for characters such as combiners, omega, and jetfire. which leaves me to wonder,  i'm sure there are other trucks that are bigger than the dodge (h2), what does that do for other characters becoming trucks. will this be the only truck we see, who should be bigger than optimus in alt or robot mode?

what does that do for other characters becoming trucks. will this be the only truck we see, who should be bigger than optimus in alt or robot mode?

Well, the fact that Takara didn't want to do a full-size truck unless it was Convoy pretty much kills ever seeing additional trucks.  Maybe the new Hummer H3 is still a possiblity (but I don't know how popular the smaller Hummers are in Japan).

what does that do for other characters becoming trucks. will this be the only truck we see, who should be bigger than optimus in alt or robot mode?

Well, the fact that Takara didn't want to do a full-size truck unless it was Convoy pretty much kills ever seeing additional trucks.  Maybe the new Hummer H3 is still a possiblity (but I don't know how popular the smaller Hummers are in Japan).

what ever happaned to the booklets that used to come inside the box of the action figures back in the 80's. it used to have a good amount of figures that were coming out for the year. everything is so hush, hush now a days, i miss that part of the old days.

This whole alternator/binaltech thing started out as a really groundbreaking idea: update G1 characters with modern vehicle designs. Shortly after its debut however, this line has seen a turn towards inconsistency, randomness and ill-conceived concepts.

For example, there are no original decepticon molds, all are based on regurgitated autobot designs. Two of the originally intended autobot characters (Suntreaker and Trailbreaker), became decepticons DeadEnd and Swindle respectively. Now Sunstreaker is returning to his originally intended alternator/binaltech mold, which by-the-way, was not the same G1 mold as SideSwipe anyway.

Neither was Trailbreaker a remold of G1 Hound, but alternator/binaltech Trailbreaker became Swindle with Trailbreaker's head! The least that could have been done is create a specific head for Swindle and leave the Trailbreaker head for another original mold.

Grimlock, a dinobot, became a Ford Mustang, and the very autobot responsible for his existence (WheelJack), also becomes a Mustang and takes on the same mold as his brainchild. A similar screw-up occured with Prowl, who was the same G1 mold as Smokescreen and Blue/Silver Streak. But Prowl got a whole new mold and Red alert, who really should be a repaint of SideSwipe, if you're aiming for G1 accuracy, becomes the repaint of Blue/Silver Streak with his exact head!

Mirage will now be a Ford GT, which would have served the G1 fans better as the original race car that he was. The repaint of Tracks into (of all characters to choose from) Swerve, was the craziest move of Hasbro/Takara until the current debut of the Dodge Ram pick-up truck Optimus Prime. This is an insanely poor choice. Although I would much prefer a Land Rover or Nissan Pathfinder for Trailbreaker, and a Honda Odyssey or Nissan Quest for Iron Hide, the Dodge Ram would have suited those two characters far better than a Prime. In addition to the poor character choice, the robot mode of the Dodge Ram is far below the quality of most previous alternator/binaltech molds.

Franlkly, this new Optimus Prime, if it was not made of plastic, would serve best as toilet paper.

• 3 months later...

In just a couple of months Transformers Alternators will introduce the Autobot leader in their toy series.  Optimus Prime should be entering your stores sometime around in March.  I have seen the pictures of him already; and may I say in my own opinion...I'll wont be the first to obtain him; but I definitely wont be the last!!!  There're pictures of him at this site; and Bigbot.com.  Judge him anyway you want; whether you think he's cool or not.  I think he'll make a great part to my Transformers Generations Collection. :tflaugh

I'm gonna have em. All those internet pics suck so much ass. You can seriously tell an experienced TF collector had nothing to do with them. Lame lame lame.

I'm gonna have em. All those internet pics suck so much ass. You can seriously tell an experienced TF collector had nothing to do with them. Lame lame lame.

While I agree there, there's just something about it... I don't know if they were wanting the front fender to imply smokestacks, or what.. But the mold doesn't say Optimus to me.

I'm thinking the reason might have to do with the small fact that his windshield isn't his chest. I'm sorry, even the beast Optimus's feature this, to invoke the original peterbilt.

As I said.. the mold looks cool, and I'll probably pick it up... But I won't drop everything to... Okay, I'll probably drop everything to get one, but I'd prefer a different character.

Edit: WOO! moved thread! =)

Archived