#05 Wheeljack

superquad

I agree completely, this is how Wheeljack should have looked;  after all, Smokescreen had all the rally decals in place.  Still, having seen the Lemans striped design in your other thread, this design could go either way;  of course, the spoiler clearly indicates that this is supposed to be a rally/race car.  Excellent job on the decals;  what did you use to make them?

I agree completely, this is how Wheeljack should have looked;  after all, Smokescreen had all the rally decals in place.  Still, having seen the Lemans striped design in your other thread, this design could go either way;  of course, the spoiler clearly indicates that this is supposed to be a rally/race car.  Excellent job on the decals;  what did you use to make them?

Hey guys, thanks for the kind comments!  My other thread was merely a suggestion thread for Alternators Grimlock.  It was also a quick idea/response to another TFan in another thread (funny how creativity works!).  The reason for that thread was to continue my start of other Alternator Mustang customs. :tfevil

In terms of how I created these, I did a MASSIVE research on each individual sponsor/label on the internet.  I took the highest resolution image of each logo/symbol and imported into Photoshop.  From there I worked on some design adaptations and such to modify them for the Wheeljack toy.  Then (after waiting on a color ink cartridge due to $$), I printed them of on a glossy sticker paper. 

Honestly, the real beast was cutting and peeling the labels out.  I found a new paper and due to the size of the labels (some are smaller than 1/8"!) and the nature of the paper itself, the cutting and peeling was difficult.  I am really pleased with the results though.  I am going to add another image of him with his missle launchers (courtesy of VP) in a bit.  I'll update the thread when I finish editing the image.

Also, if you viewd my other customs, one thing that I really got into was making a "composite" image that acts as a profile for the bot.  I intend to do this with all of my Alternators/Binaltechs, not only my customs.  For instance, I am developing the yellow Tracks into his own character (not just "yellow Tracks"), and some have minor additions or modifications (such as the Impreza Autobots with their launchers, "Ravage" [who I am thinking of renaming] and Grimlock with his 'gundam' sabers). 

As you guys can tell, I am just loving this line! :tfgrin

Take off the goofy spoiler it shouldn't have and it's awesome!

During my research and design process, I was thinking the same thing.  My main focus was to develop the label set.  Also, I have a TON of Alternators customs planned, so I don't want to stay on one given project for a very long time (actual work but also mentally too).  I intend to make that modification, but after the massive work that I did in creating this label set, it's time to step back and move on.  When I do take it off and modify it to make it look smooth (no screw holes), I'll end up putting the spoiler on another Mustang (another custom planned on down the road)!  :tfevil

I like the design, but mustangs aren't rally cars :) - race cars yea... but I have a rally car and I'ld love to race a mustang in the dirt :D

back on topic - how did you make the labels?

They look great superquad!  I'd be interested in the graphics file you would share them. 

The only thing I might suggest is to print them on clear waterslide decal sheets (If you have the means).  The white of the sticker paper kind of sticks out on the white of WJ.  Plus they bend around contours better.

Take off the goofy spoiler it shouldn't have and it's awesome!

During my research and design process, I was thinking the same thing.  My main focus was to develop the label set.  Also, I have a TON of Alternators customs planned, so I don't want to stay on one given project for a very long time (actual work but also mentally too).  I intend to make that modification, but after the massive work that I did in creating this label set, it's time to step back and move on.  When I do take it off and modify it to make it look smooth (no screw holes), I'll end up putting the spoiler on another Mustang (another custom planned on down the road)!  :tfevil

Once you get that done it'll be the best looking Mustang around. Maybe if you get another Wheeljack you could try your hand at the GT-R racecar that actually has the spoiler on it. Awesome work!

Archived