What Has Almost Made You Quit Collecting

madman1366

I only have Overload, Unicron, Blurr, Scavenger, PLX Cyclonus, and Wheeljack from Armada

Scavenger was the last one i bought and upon opening him, i hated it.

I think I bought him from BWBM along with Overload but I could be mistaken. I definitely got Overload from BWBM though. Plus I needed him to show proof of how bad Armada was. Overload is actually decent

i remember seeing the prototype on this site before i was an active board member and thinking it was gong to be the greatest figure ever. then it was meh. i still like him though. love the transforming sound when sticking the mini-con into the head port.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I only have Overload, Unicron, Blurr, Scavenger, PLX Cyclonus, and Wheeljack from Armada

Definitely not as good as Beast Machines Scavenger! :P

I think I bought him from BWBM along with Overload but I could be mistaken. I definitely got Overload from BWBM though. Plus I needed him to show proof of how bad Armada was. Overload is actually decent

i remember seeing the prototype on this site before i was an active board member and thinking it was gong to be the greatest figure ever. then it was meh. i still like him though. love the transforming sound when sticking the mini-con into the head port.

I am convinced that Overload is one of maybe 3 figures they had someone with a brain and not drunk actually designed

Quite the opposite Armada Scavenger is leaps and bounds over anything from BM except the Dinobots :tflaugh

I am convinced that Overload is one of maybe 3 figures they had someone with a brain and not drunk actually designed

Quite the opposite Armada Scavenger is leaps and bounds over anything from BM except the Dinobots :tflaugh

Armada Scavenger is cool,because to me it always looked like a Generation 2 homage to the Autorollers,but but with more beautiful sculpt.

I always wanted that Energon Ultra magnus which was a repainted armada overload but it never hit my local stores.

I was going to get Shockwave but the price they want for him to me is too much, And I import more then I buy domestic. I have Amazon Unicron also. I do not consider him Armada Unicron just a better looking Universe Unicron.

I only have 3 more figures to add to my Armada set then I will consider it complete and not in any rush to get them either but Red Alert, Airazor, and Cheetor then I'm done with Armada

Normally I don't import when hasbro releases the same molds takara does.I Make the extremly rare exceptions. when I think the Hasbro colors are really awful/horrible.

I didn't like the hasbro nerf gun megatron colors, so I bought the henkei voyager nerf gun megatron & it's in misb box. I do have a hasbro 1.0 nerf gun megatron out on a display shelf.

Armada tidalwave was not cartoon accurate. I didn't think that tidalwaves various colors blended in properly & the colors looked awful. I got the micron-dentsu shockwave because it was in cartoon accurate colors. I also thought the shockwave colors looked better.

I also thought the energon tidalwave colors looked better than the armada colors. I really like the translucent plastic. I love clear plastic on the vechicle windows & this toy had it.

I actually took the legs from 2005 cybertron jetfire,to give tidalwave bending knees & rotate 360 degree swivel joints in the legs.

I got one misb amazon unicron boxed & one armada unicron on a display shelf. I was thinking about swapping parts/torso. to give amazon unicron a yellow/orange torso. but amazon unicron is so rare i don't want to lesser it's market value. I actually prefer the takara 2010 unicrons colors best but can't justify the price tag. my desperate hope is amazon unicron climbs up in value more than 2010 takara unicron. so i can sell amazon unicron & use the money to buy 2010 takara unicron.

Because Hasbro's prices are so expensive outside North America, it makes their domestic prices on par with Takara's... so for me, Hasbro and Takara TFs cost about the same. So if the Takara version is better, I'll definitely get that since there's no substantial price difference (sometimes the Takara version works out cheaper). (-_-)

Almost? Armada drove me to quit! After the awesome that was Beast Wars (show and figures) I was extremely annoyed by Armada. Perhaps my expectations were too high but even still.

I think your expectations were perfectly reasonable. One would expect the Transformers franchise to get better as time progresses, not worse. That was one thing that drove people away from the later G1 figures (e.g. Pretenders) as people felt they weren't as good as the early G1 toys. Mid-late G2 was better than G1, BW was better than G2, Car Robot was better than BW... one would expect the next thing to be better. BM was worse than BW, then Armada was even worse than BM!! Jason X said that Armada Scavenger's not as good as BM Scavenger in jest, but he's absolutely right!! BM Scavenger is a far superior toy, especially given the relative size and price! Energon wasn't much better than Armada... Cybertron was the best of the trilogy though.

I gave all 3 a shot (A/E/C) and they're all garbage. Some toys were passable but so few and far between. And I never saw an episode I enjoyed.

Most of the better toys came along in Cybertron, but yeah, there were some pretty forgettable toys too. T'was a real unfocused mixed bag. The shows were never terribly good, but the English dubbing made it worse. I've watched both Micron Legend and Armada, and I gotta say, Micron Legend is better. Nobody gets called "men" in Micron Legend, and also the Autobots are actually portrayed as _different_ and distinct characters! I found that the Autobots all pretty much behaved and sounded the same in the Armada dub. I think they had different voice actors, but I couldn't tell... it was _that_ bland. Starscream came off as a rather tragically noble character in Micron Legend, but I found him to be just annoying in Armada and I wanted to slap him. :( I never bothered watching the dubs of Energon or Cybertron -- just stuck to Super Link and Galaxy Force. Super Link was alright actually... some parts of it actually touches on some heavy stuff, like when Kicker and Roadbuster (Ironhide) discuss the meaning of life! :O Galaxy Force is just annoying. I don't need to see it again in annoying English (watching it in annoying Japanese was bad enough). But none of the Unicron Trilogy is really outstanding... just mediocre at best. Beast Wars was still better than all of them put together.

Armada Scavenger is cool,because to me it always looked like a Generation 2 homage to the Autorollers,but but with more beautiful sculpt.

I always wanted that Energon Ultra magnus which was a repainted armada overload but it never hit my local stores.

I have been waiting for the Ultra Magnus repaint to drop in price so I can get that one to. I like the repaint colors they used on him.

I was going to get Shockwave but the price they want for him to me is too much, And I import more then I buy domestic. I have Amazon Unicron also. I do not consider him Armada Unicron just a better looking Universe Unicron.

I only have 3 more figures to add to my Armada set then I will consider it complete and not in any rush to get them either but Red Alert, Airazor, and Cheetor then I'm done with Armada

Normally I don't import when hasbro releases the same molds takara does.I Make the extremly rare exceptions. when I think the Hasbro colors are really awful/horrible.

I didn't like the hasbro nerf gun megatron colors, so I bought the henkei voyager nerf gun megatron & it's in misb box. I do have a hasbro 1.0 nerf gun megatron out on a display shelf.

Armada tidalwave was not cartoon accurate. I didn't think that tidalwaves various colors blended in properly & the colors looked awful. I got the micron-dentsu shockwave because it was in cartoon accurate colors. I also thought the shockwave colors looked better.

I also thought the energon tidalwave colors looked better than the armada colors. I really like the translucent plastic. I love clear plastic on the vechicle windows & this toy had it.

I actually took the legs from 2005 cybertron jetfire,to give tidalwave bending knees & rotate 360 degree swivel joints in the legs.

I got one misb amazon unicron boxed & one armada unicron on a display shelf. I was thinking about swapping parts/torso. to give amazon unicron a yellow/orange torso. but amazon unicron is so rare i don't want to lesser it's market value. I actually prefer the takara 2010 unicrons colors best but can't justify the price tag. my desperate hope is amazon unicron climbs up in value more than 2010 takara unicron. so i can sell amazon unicron & use the money to buy 2010 takara unicron.

Yeah I bought the Henkei one as it's use of colors is definitely better than Hasbro's, I can't get over all the purple on the Hasbro version It just looks stupid.

I like the colors of Micron Legends Shockwave better then any of the 3 versions of Tidal Wave, that is why I want him

I would definitely not change anything on the Amazon Universe Unicron, as you will lower his value. I can justify the price of Takara's Unicron as to me he is a huge figure that will be imported. 2010 Primus though I can not justify as to me the Cybertron Primus looks way better.

From Armada,I own the following toys: Maxcon Starscream,Maxcon Skywarp,micron-denstu Shockwave/tidalwave,amazon unicron.

I didn't mind Armada too much, but of course I didn't get into the actual show. Some of the toys were just pure awesome!! Sideways and his double agent gimmic = EPIC!!!! Then Red Alert was one of my favorites. I will always say that Armada Megatron was just bad ass!! I have some more of the Armada line toys such as Nemesis Prime, Unicron, And Sideswipe!! Honestly Cybertron and Energon just didn't do it for me.

Money has always been the one deciding factor that has made me almost quit. Another factor has been certain continuities, say like Energon and Cybertron. When those were out, I basically wanted to quit. Now currently, it's the Bay Verse and ts influence on newer continuities is making me upset, but as long as Classics/Generations and Masterpieces stay around, I'll probably keep collecting.

Yeah... that's one good thing about Transformers atm, there's not just one single line dominating everything. If you don't like Bayverse, you can collect Animated or Prime or Generations or reissues etc. I think the early 1990s was a lot worse when Action Masters just dominated the toy line (especially in North America where those poor sods missed out on a lot of stuff that we got in Australasia and Europe, like the Classic reissues!). I think back then a lot of people saw the Action Masters, realised that they suck, then pretty much gave up on collecting. Little surprise that the Marvel Comics got canned shortly after, then not too long after that G1 itself died off. Then when G2 came out it initially just offered G1 toys repackaged, some repainted (badly - 'cept Sideswipe, he looked pretty kewl)... so mouldwise nothing new. So during that period fans were stuck with a bunch of non-transforming crap, then repackaged and repaints of G1 toys (the reissues were more appealing, at least they weren't given the "Day Glo 1990s makeover" (although some of them had rubsigns replaced with faction stickers - some also had the rub sign indents removed too)). By time G2 did give us new moulds toward the mid 1990s, it was too little too late... most people had already turned off Transformers.

But in recent times we have had several TF franchises running consecutively, which gives people choices. :) Although the choices seem a bit narrowed down atm... right now we have the tail-end of DOTM trickling through (I just picked up Movie Trilogy Optimus Prime tonight (the Deluxe with the trailer)); but yet Hasbro won't give us stuff like DOTM Dlx Leadfoot, Que and Soundwave (sigh). Then there's TF Prime... we missed ALL of First Edition here and only have TFP RiD... but just the first wave or so. The new stuff - Arcee, Vehicon and Ratchet - has only been spotted in a very small number of isolated locations... currently rare as freaking hen's teeth. :( And NO Classicsverse stuff! What's with that?? Why no Generations or Reveal The Shield? :( It's almost as if Hasbro's expecting to ride off the coattails of the movie franchise's success, but that's only gonna last so long. Are they hoping that Bay is going to pump out another film and ride off the success of that film? There seems to be not much future scope/vision. The same thing happened 12 years ago -- Beast Wars got axed, then replaced with Beast Machines, which was really riding off the coattails of Beast Wars' success. Then when that started winding down, Hasbro needed to come up with something new by 2001 - and remember in January when Hasbro said that they would NOT be importing Car Robot?? Then about a month later at Toy Fair - surprise surprise - Robots In Disguise!! With cardboard mockups because they had no physical product samples ready to show retail buyers! Why, it's almost as if Hasbro came up with that idea at the last minute!! </sarcastic.surprise> :P Then a year after that... NOTHING! 2002 was a freaking annoying year of bugger all toys to buy! It was the 2nd worst year to be a TF collector IMO other than 1995. Those are my two least favourite years for TFs. Even Takara wasn't doing much other than pumping out G1 reissues -- which was great for filling out your G1 collection, but a lot of Japanese fans were aching for NEW products! It was only toward the latter part of that year that we heard about Armada -- and most of us folks outside N. America didn't see them in our local stores until 2003... so 2002 was really a pret-ty dry year.

I don't blame you for being turned off by Energon. That was pretty ordinary. The fact that the 1989 Multi Force gimmick works better than the 2004 Powerlinx gimmick says everything. A person who's relatively new to TF collecting recently came over to my place, and I showed him the Multi Force guys whom he'd never heard of before, then compared it with the Energon Powerlinxers... he was amazed at how the Multi Force TFs were, for their size and vintage, better engineered than Energon Powerlinx. Each Multi Force Autobot has a different head (and identity) when combined, e.g. Wingwaver is NOT simply Wing stacked on Waver - a new head pops out when Wing is on top. Whereas when Hot Shot combines with Inferno, it's just Hot Shot's head sticking out and sitting atop of Inferno. The Multi Forcers also have simple but neat looking vehicle modes - unlike Jetfire's ridiculous jet mode or Ironhide's abomination of a vehicle mode with that absurd head sitting on top! Multi Forcers can also all combine to form a gestalt robot -- Energon Powerlinxers can't (and their weapons can all combine into a mega-weapon - Powerlinxers can't). Multi Force were awesome by 1989 standards. Energon Powerlinx TFs were forgettable by 2004 standards!

Cybertron was a mixed bag. There were some crap figures like Leobreaker, but some great toys like Downshift. But on the whole, I thought Cybertron was the best out of the Unicron Trilogy lines for one crucial reason -- the Cyber Key gimmick is not as "invasive" as many gimmicks on Armada and Energon toys. i.e. the engineering in many figures weren't badly compromised by it. Look at Downshift (later repainted as Movieverse Big Daddy). It's a nice solid robot mode that transforms into a really neat 1970s/80s style muscle car. The Cyber Planet Key gimmick is discreet and doesn't interfere with the toy badly. Totally different from say Armada Hot Shot (or worse, Armada Scavenger) or Energon Ironhide who are toys that suffer from suckness because they're engineered around dominating gimmicks. A gimmick should be engineered into a toy... a toy should not be engineered around a gimmick! And that's something else that made a lot of Classicsverse toys so awesome too -- many of them don't rely on gimmicks. They're most just nice, well designed Transformers who simply transform from robot to vehicle and back - but the do it well! Their robot modes look good, the vehicle mode looks good. They don't need fancy gimmicks to make them awesome! And often, fancy gimmicks tend to make toys suck... just look at Combiner Class ROTF Devastator! Even the current TF Prime RiD Voyagers suck because of their gimmicks... how bad does Optimus Prime look with all that transparent blue and grey? (which they could've added more paint apps for if they didn't blow money on the stupid LED weapon gimmick). Don't even talk to me about the bag of suck that is Voyager Megatron...

I don't own the Transformers Prime Megatron and Optimus Prime. I think they both suck IMO. I really agree with you about different continuities are present around each other. This does give us a variety. With Prime RID, this series is keeping me content until we get more Classics/Generations out. I noticed you brought up Cybertron gimmick as not hampering the toy. I never thought about that, but you're right. You don't even have to use the key gimmick if you don't want to. And I also love the way Classics/Generations have made alt modes vehicles now. Perceptor, for instance. While it was cool he was a microscope in G1 continuity, it just doesn't work anymore. I like the fact that they still look G1, but have more modern vehicular alt modes. But at this point, I don't think I wil ever really QUIT. I think they'll just be more of a hiatus. The only way I'd ever really quit a d give up would be if my. Ollection got stolen or was destroyed in a fire or natural disaster.

From Armada,I own the following toys: Maxcon Starscream,Maxcon Skywarp,micron-denstu Shockwave/tidalwave,amazon unicron.

I didn't mind Armada too much, but of course I didn't get into the actual show. Some of the toys were just pure awesome!! Sideways and his double agent gimmic = EPIC!!!! Then Red Alert was one of my favorites. I will always say that Armada Megatron was just bad ass!! I have some more of the Armada line toys such as Nemesis Prime, Unicron, And Sideswipe!! Honestly Cybertron and Energon just didn't do it for me.

So we are the exact opposite, I view Sideways as decent at most, they definitely could have done better. I did buy Sideswipe but when I got out to my car and transformed him, he looked so much like crap I just tossed him into a trash can after I broke him in half. Cybertron had the best figures out of the AEC. Crosswise and Soundwave are epic designs. With a special shout out to Soundblaaster who is perfect

So we are the exact opposite, I view Sideways as decent at most, they definitely could have done better. I did buy Sideswipe but when I got out to my car and transformed him, he looked so much like crap I just tossed him into a trash can after I broke him in half. Cybertron had the best figures out of the AEC. Crosswise and Soundwave are epic designs. With a special shout out to Soundblaaster who is perfect

I don't know of we're exact opposites. I really didn't give Energon and Cybertron a chance. The reality of that is at that time I was so busy in the military, I never really had time to get into them. Sideswipe's car design was mediocre

for a sports car. I liked the button you pushed and the motorcycle minicon swung up. And pardon my ignorance, because quite frankly I have forgotten about much of Armada, but there were some crappy toys out in the line.

Archived