Hasbro Responds to Spastic Character

Peter_Van

The UK meaning of the word is clearly a slang usage, as the word means what it means in English and they obviously speak English across the pond.

An uproar over this is silly. Anyone offended by this name should blame the idiots who made the slang usage of the word common in their region, not Hasbro for choosing a perfectly reasonable name for this transformer.

Exactly. Hasbro should use the names it wants to use and promote the word and its proper usage.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The UK meaning of the word is clearly a slang usage, as the word means what it means in English and they obviously speak English across the pond.

An uproar over this is silly. Anyone offended by this name should blame the idiots who made the slang usage of the word common in their region, not Hasbro for choosing a perfectly reasonable name for this transformer.

Exactly. Hasbro should use the names it wants to use and promote the word and its proper usage.

Actually it's not slang, it genuinely means 'someone suffering from a mental handicap'. Many words vary between American English & English English... I refer back to my use of 'fanny' earlier which means bottom in the US but refers to a ladies private part in the UK.

Basically I'm just happy if the name is changed when brought over, but as I said before, the term 'spastic' is also used for offense here & is about as welcome as the 'n' word.

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/spastic

LOL. This series makes you pay for each mold TWICE by doing a redeco of each and you are upset over a poor name choice?!?!?!!! To me, the reason for such poor quality of the PCC is that it is a Movie Sub-series, IE this is to the ROTF what the Real Gear Robots is to the first movie. Clearly, the quality of this line is greater than the quality of the RGR line but that is no shock considering the fact that by the sequel TF as a whole has gained more financial momentum, yielding more funds for a sub-series. To prove my case, consider the fact that almost every mold in the RGR was a repaint as well with each mold given an Autobot and Decepticon character, much like they are doing in the PCC line. Also, as to the gain in their resources, consider the list of figures we got with the first movie versus the quantity we received for the second (more than double). My personal collection shows that ratio to be 45/120!! It would however, be interesting to see who managed the PCC line in the company as it was still pretty poorly executed. Also I think that the reason that PCC was such a disappointment was that the idea itself appealed to many fans, but as details slowly trickled in, so did the frustrations. To touch more on topic: I would argue that these PCC characters SHOULDN'T have the combiners' of yore namesakes, as these are nowhere near the same quality. And I'll grant you that Spastic was a poor name choice, but if you go down the list of character names over the years it becomes pretty clear that they are grasping at straws when it comes to original names as using a previous name can tend to generate a lot of backlash if it isn't a perfect fit.

What TF mold doesnt get used twice or more? It's like finding a four leaf clover.

It's times like these where I'm glad I currently no longer have those completist urges.

I've been considering PCC part of the new Prime continuity unless otherwise told. It fits in pretty easily.

What TF mold doesnt get used twice or more? It's like finding a four leaf clover.

It's times like these where I'm glad I currently no longer have those completist urges.

I've been considering PCC part of the new Prime continuity unless otherwise told. It fits in pretty easily.

It's also Movieverse, since Smolder showed up in the Cybermissions mini animations.

Like the Chevrolet Nova. It didn't sell in Brazil, because in Brazil Va=Go... No Va = No Go.

this is one of the stupidest Urban Legends there is. the word Nova is the same in Spanish as it is in English (in reference to the normal version of the Urban Legend). as for Brazil, nova still means nova in Portuguese as well.

the thought process that they would break a word that is actually in their language down into two separate words is the equivalent of saying you dont want to go ALTOGETHER cause you think that someone named AL wants TO GET HER. or that when you go to see the therapist, you are really going to see the rapist...

TEMPTED to use that as my sig..

Archived