Ebay's a wasteland right now

Superconductor

Nothing seems to be moving right now---there's just a glut of transformers in every genre, size and shape---what a terrible time to be a seller. Tons of no-bids and exhorbitantly priced buy-it-nows, and very little product moving. Looks like a buyer's market to me.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No wonder. People don't have the discretionary funds they used to. Couple that with decent stock flow in the stores and there's really no reason to patronize scalpers right now.

Honestly, it's a good thing. Maybe hit the ebay sellers a little so the prices drop a little. I'm all about free market, but hey, some of those guys want way to much for things.

The market for vintage Transformers is dead after all the reissues. Only the extreme hard core collectors are buying stuff after G1 which leaves about 20 years of dreggs for people to ignore. For me, the movie was the last straw. So much mindless product that I losy my mojo for collecting even the HTF stuff.

Right now, the best market for vintage is the stuff that hasn't been reissued.

Right now, the best market for vintage is the stuff that hasn't been reissued.

I have to guess that is why we are seeing Hasbro and Takara pulling out USA MP Grimlock, Piranacon and Predaking. Either they are desperate or been holding out on us. Now if we could just get them at a decent price.

Yeah the Ebay market is flooded with Transformers right now. I have been listing stuff all year trying to help supplement my income which is being used to help fund my wedding at the end of the year. Its been tuff, the few times i have done auctions I have lost my ass on a couple of high dollar items that really hurt, which forced me to only use buy it now. Now most of my stuff is reasonably priced, but have seen some of the other sellers with exorbitant prices on items that can now be found in the stores. I can understand asking a premium for hard to find figures or limited editions which can be hard to find, but not on common stuff. Even some of the online retailers are getting a bit pricey with some things.

You know, I was just thinking. It also may be a sign of the times. Ten years ago, ebay was the go to place for TF stuff. Now, we have all sorts of web stores that sell TF stuff. Reissues, vintage, new stuff, fan stuff. The amount of people who sell mostly on ebay may be outnumbered by the folks who opened their own stores.

Hell, you used to look on ebay for some fan made stuff, now you go on etsy. I think the market has changed enough that the options outweigh ebay now. I mean, your independent guy or scalper will go to ebay. But the most may go to TF Source or somebody to sell to etsy or something. Just a thought.

I got beat pretty bad by a sniper over a G1 Skystalker last night.

And I took a beating trying to sell some figures the other week.

It's true what was said, the money for collectables just isn't there right now.

I use to get a highend vntage figure every other month or so. Beyont the G1 trainset(which didn't cost that much) my last vintage new piece was Deszarus back in november of 2008, and things like the MIB collection are just on hold for now(and in storage)

What can I say, there's other priorities and the money isn't there for any of it like it use to be.

Archived