Quality of US TF Toys

kumtoshi

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since I just moved to San Diego a couple months ago, I don't have a lot of disposable income. Therefore, what figs I do end up getting, I want to be sure to get the best version; no matter which side of the Pacific it may come from.

I'm sure gonna be checking the forums when these things hit! We can always count on Remy's site for awesome photo shoots too. Can't wait to see those!

KT

the US relieses usaly are far less show acc. Takara is known for better qualitie but there are a few flukes like Big Convoy, and SL Kicker

You would be incorrect. The two companies are even in terms of show accuracy. Takara was show accurate on Micron Legend/Armada and Hasbro was not (most notable being the green in place of purple on Tidal Wave, missing paint applications in general). Hasbro was show accurate on Energon/Super Link and Takara was not (most notable being the gray parts on Iron Hide, inaccurate headsculpt on Strongarm, which can now be seen on Hasbro's E-Strongarm). Also, Takara has gutted all of the electronics from the SL Cybertron/Autobot figures for whatever reason, but judging by prices that have popped up, this will not apply to Cybertron/Galaxy Force. Hopefully both companies will use the same paint applications in Cybertron/Galaxy Force, but who knows?

Also, most Japanese (and possibly Korean, but I don't know) Big Convoys do seem to have a loose neck.

The only time I really notice a difference in quality when it comes to hasbro's transformers is usually with repaints. Maybe someone else here can back me up on this or maybe it's just me, but whenever I've gotten a repaint of a figure it always seems to be a bit cheaper in quality than the original.

The plastic doesn't seem to be as good, parts tend to be looser and theres usually some flaw that wasn't there on the original. I don't own a lot of repaints but the ones I do have are all inferior to their original in one way or another. (I'm sure there are some exceptions though) Like I said, maybe it's just me or maybe hasbro just figures they got our money once and they'll likely get it again so why not cut a little off the cost of making the repainted versions by making them as cheap as possible so they can boost profits even more.

Anyway, I just stay away from repaints for the most part but as for the original figures go i'd say, with some painting differences aside, that hasbro's are just as good as takara.

Takara and Hasbro should both have the same quality. However there are occasions where there might be, i.e. loose joint in Hasbro's but not in Takara's or loose peg in Takara's but not in Hasbro's. These things happen from time to time so if you want to be absolutely sure that you've got the best quality version, you could wait out till you read a couple of reviews of both and make sure there isn't any problems with the one you are getting. Usually there shouldn't be much difference so I'd usually just settle for the hasbro version since they are cheaper for me.

Paint apps differ slightly between both companies. Sometimes Hasbro has the show accurate version (Ironhide, Strongarm, Storm Jet), sometimes Takara has the show accurate colors (Sprung, Wheeljack, Laserwave, Starscream, Galvatron). Show accuracy doesn't matter much to me so I'd usually just get Hasbro's cause of the price, but I do on occasion get the takara version when there is a huge difference in colors which would bother me (i.e. SL Wheeljack)

The Takara version often miss electronics which in Bulkhead's case really sucks as he has kick ass sounds.

They may be a little more show accurate but the higer price for toys lacking electronics turns me off. :tfmad

As for repaints. I own a few and most are pretty good. At times reusing a mold can cause deterioration but most of my figures are good. Even new figures have loose limbs at times.

SL Sprung is more show acc!

What about the sounds and lights? I heard someone say that Sprung doesn't have them. Is that true or not?

On the BWTF site the guy did a review and stated that there are not lights and sounds on the SL version.

BTW: Show Acc?!!? it's the same damn toy! The colors maybe a little off but damn it is the same mold!

I'm not sure if anyone else had this inconvenience, but 2 of the SL toys I got, Laserwave and Shockfleet, were misassembled. Shockfleet's middle arm joints were flipped over(screw head side is on the outside of the arm as opposed to inside as displayed on the box) and I had to rearrange the solar panel parts on Laserwave's arm/cannon so that they can properly flip up when deployed.

Archived