'Transformers' Movie Advance Review

Peter_Van

0Formerstmb__scaled_100.jpg
Our very own Hunter Rose had the chance to attend the Los Angeles Film Festival and has provided an advance review on the new "Transformers" movie! What a lucky dog! Head over to ENEWSI for the full review

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lucky dog! Glad he liked the movie.

Some thoughts:

Personality and characterization:

Bumblebee is really sassy!

Prime and Meg's relationship is articulated extremely effectively in just a few lines of dialogue.

Starscream kicks all sorts of ass

Rachet and Ironhide get the short shrift in terms of characterization.

Jazz comes off as a almagam of Cliffjumper/Bluestreak and Jazz (if we are comparing to G1 characters)

Frenzy, I can see how he could come across as silly. And to be sure - if bot gets the stigma - then Frenzy is going to be the JarJar of the movie. But really his characterization kinda grows on you because he is just this jittery manic little Blot. He's a little bit like the bart simpson of the Decepticons.

Congrats on seeing the film before me, buddy! :lol

Very nice review. I'm glad you liked the film, most of all. Now I really can't wait to see it myself.

Oh, and Hunter, was Brawl still called "Devastator"?

Congrats on seeing the film before me, buddy! :lol

Very nice review. I'm glad you liked the film, most of all. Now I really can't wait to see it myself.

Oh, and Hunter, was Brawl still called "Devastator"?

yes - and he starts out being super awesome and then gets punked! Devi-Brawl is definitely a character i would have liked to see more of

and Blackout

You know that awesome meat grinder clip in the previews? there isnt really a pay off which made me squirm a little. WTF what happened to?? And there are a bunch of sequences with helicopetors at the end and you keep thinking that BO is gonna unleash some whoopass - but really his moment is in the first 20min.

Great review Hunter-

I can't say I read the entire review because I really want to be surprised as much as I can. I mostly focused on reading your points on characterization, effects, overall coolness of the film and general audience reaction which I'm glad to read was filled with cheers.

It's nice to see you as a published reviewer of this film considering that your interests in film goes beyond the generic and into more of what some would call "indi/important". Plus with many of our conversations on the subject you have great insight into many other good movies. Who got you on board clearly made the best choice.

In short if your review included the words "it sucked!" then I would have been very worried hahahha

I'm glad that you liked the film. I think almost every fan here would agree.

Congratulations on begaining your career as the next Rodger Ebert.

-Skullfire

btw- i just pulled this from Rotten tomatoes and i have to agree with the statements here:

It does all go on too long at times, most notably that last act, yet the scenes that need to be exciting are. ILM's truly jaw-dropping effects not only look practically photo real throughout, but also take into consideration the one thing that far too many films of this type ignore - the laws of physics. Giant robots have mass, intertia, and thousands of complex working parts - something the FX house not only understands but gets right.

Shots like two robots falling off a raised highway or Optimus and Megatron in a death grip as they go flying through a building

(the film's single most epic shot) feel very real which makes the action that much more intense.

The two sequences described above made the theater I was in collectively gasp in awe.

One of the frustrating things about having seen it early is - i have no one to share my excitement with.... i have to wait a week before anyone else can circle jerk with me on this.

Archived