How I'd have done it...

Giant Robot

Hi everybody!

It's been literally years since I last posted here, so I thought I'd start again with some sketches that are my interpretations of the movie characters - hear that Bay??! Now you're not the only show in town with your redesigned Transformers, so there! :tftongue

Anyway, here's the Photobucket links - more to come as soon as I get bored and draw them...

Bumblebee 1

Bumblebee 2

Sorry for fubar-ing the inking in the first one; the second is a pencil sketch.

What do you all think? Good, bad or indifferent?

Are those seats on his belly?

I like it so far. Needs some color to really compare. The head is much better on yours.

Hmm needs colour but looks good so far :thumb

Are those seats on his belly?
Yes; the whole idea is that the transformation is obviously more complex than one of the toys - parts are designed to concertina inwards and outwards to build new forms - but obviously not as stupidly complex as Michael Bay's '10,000 parts per finger' abortions: any half-decent engineer will tell you that the less moving parts something has the better, as there's obviously less to go wrong. My favourite Transformers are probably the Binaltech/Alternators ones (RIP), hence the lower to mid torso being made of metal-backed seats (the metal faces outwards on the robot - I don't think even Cybertronian upholstery could survive a laser gunfight :tflaugh ).

As to colour, well I scan these images (and change the colour - or rather my dear father did that bit with the purple one - it was supposed to be blue like the body and face sketch), stick them on a pen drive and upload them to Photobucket at my local library - although things might be about to change, I have no internet access at home; also, I don't have a clue how to computer-colour these things: If anyone else wants to have a stab at it, feel free...

But I am going to get some artboard and try and do some hand-painted versions of these drawings - I would have posted some sketches of Ratchet/Ironhide and Starscream today, but I didn't have time to scan and adjust them before getting to the library, so they'll probably appear on Friday as I'm in Nottingham all day tomorrow and Birmingham all day Thursday.

The head is much better on yours.

I am, very literally, overjoyed by this comment - if there's one thing I hate most about the movie, it's the lack of anything resembling a face on any of the characters - by all means, have bug-eyed monstrosities for their Cybertronian forms, but surely so they could communicate with/intimidate (depending on their allegiance) the pathetic organic blobs, sorry, humans, they would scan and imitate human faces?

Archived