How I'd have done it...

Giant Robot

While I like your drawings - they are nice.

This shows how off/bad the Humanoid faces would be on the Movie Designs. Cause the face seems so out of place on that body to me. And it's not that you've drawn it poorly - you definitely have not - it's just that that face does NOT work on that design style of the body.

Good Job though.

As I expected, an equal mix of praise and derision... :tflaugh

"liquid metal" faces would not work in the movie
Who said anything about them being liquid metal? Some sketches on the way of how these faces are made of lots of moving segments with seam lines too small to be noticeable unles you're right in the character's face - then again, two Terminator sequels on and nobody complained about characters made of/skinned with 'poly-mimetic alloy' - so why wouldn't hyper-advanced sentient robot space aliens have it?

I'm done with human faces on Transformers

By all means, give the cybertronian versions wierd bug faces - it alludes to their alien nature - but I refer you to my earlier post for the reasoning behind humanoid faces.

Anyway, a day late, but here's Starscream and Ratchet:

Starscream

Ratchet

Apologies for them being rough around the edges; I can't be bothered to use a ruler... :tftongue

They're both rather boxy and would be restrictive in natural movement. Believe me, in physical combat you need to be able to articulate yourself in some rather extreme ways.

While I appreciate the anthropomorphic (humanlike) faces you've employed, I also can understand why the movie's decided to go against it. First of all, they're aliens, not humans, and thus it doesn't make sense for them to naturally have humanlike faces. As you said so yourself, Soundblaster010, it alludes to their alien nature.

but surely so they could communicate with/intimidate (depending on their allegiance) the pathetic organic blobs, sorry, humans, they would scan and imitate human faces?

First of all, their robot modes are meant to be representations of their "true" selves (albeit modified with new alt mode kibble). It's their vehicle modes which are their disguises. I'm not sure if placing a humanoid face on a giant robotic warrior would really make them any more or less intimidating. The Stay Puft Marshmallow Man was an intimidating demon in Ghostbusters :P. But seriously, there is also the question of why should they have to humanise their faces? Think of the scene in X-Men 2 where Nightcrawler asks Mystique why she doesn't make herself appear like a non-mutant all the time where she replies with, "Because we shouldn't have to."

Any human who would truly be friends with the Autobots would be able to see through any visual prejudice and judge these robots 'not by the colour of their steel, but by the content of their Spark.' ;)

See, those last two images were very G1-esque... and while I see that this is how you would've done it, I can also see that those designs would not work onscreen.

Plus, the idea of thousands of metal pieces that shift and are not viewable from far away is a bit more ridiculous than the movie concepts.

I'd hate to agree with a lot of Goki's points here. However, being an artist myself, I give you thumbs up on the artwork itself, just not where it's being applied.

Some sketches on the way of how these faces are made of lots of moving segments with seam lines too small to be noticeable unles you're right in the character's face - then again, two Terminator sequels on and nobody complained about characters made of/skinned with 'poly-mimetic alloy' - so why wouldn't hyper-advanced sentient robot space aliens have it?

Good point.

While I appreciate the anthropomorphic (humanlike) faces you've employed, I also can understand why the movie's decided to go against it. First of all, they're aliens, not humans, and thus it doesn't make sense for them to naturally have humanlike faces. As you said so yourself, Soundblaster010, it alludes to their alien nature.

but surely so they could communicate with/intimidate (depending on their allegiance) the pathetic organic blobs, sorry, humans, they would scan and imitate human faces?

First of all, their robot modes are meant to be representations of their "true" selves (albeit modified with new alt mode kibble). It's their vehicle modes which are their disguises. I'm not sure if placing a humanoid face on a giant robotic warrior would really make them any more or less intimidating. The Stay Puft Marshmallow Man was an intimidating demon in Ghostbusters :P. But seriously, there is also the question of why should they have to humanise their faces? Think of the scene in X-Men 2 where Nightcrawler asks Mystique why she doesn't make herself appear like a non-mutant all the time where she replies with, "Because we shouldn't have to."

Good point.

See, those last two images were very G1-esque... and while I see that this is how you would've done it, I can also see that those designs would not work onscreen.
What, like Michael Bay's steam-powered, cog-driven, shiny CGI monstrosities do? :tftongue

I've been following this thing since the news first broke - the producer, Tom Desanto, originally wanted the movie realised using state-of-the-art animatronics - which is, IMO, more sensible than CGI as it tends to date terribly - compare Aliens with Twister or the astonishingly crap Hell bits in Spawn for proof. Basically, the brief I set myself here was to present them in a more nostalgic light, but still working to Speilberg's dictat that they had to be heavy on the mechanics, with outlandish levels of alien technology. Originally, with a sensible studio and director, I was hoping for a very Binaltech-looking movie: more fool me, I suppose - just a pity there wasn't a Sam Raimi or Guillermo Del Toro to pick this up and run with it; every Bay interview I've read, he's dismissed the originals as 'crappy kids stuff... when Steven asked me to do it I thought 'no' because I didn't want to make a stupid kid's toy movie but then thought how I could totally change it' - if that was what you thought, you steaming great turd, why did you take it on in the first place - because you felt like bowwww bow bow bow bowww a few million childhoods??!!! Give me strength, if there was any justice this would have been a Japanese production we'd all be buying on import DVD :tfmad

Think of the scene in X-Men 2 where Nightcrawler asks Mystique why she doesn't make herself appear like a non-mutant all the time where she replies with, "Because we shouldn't have to."

Yeah, same producer, same raison d'etre; but Mystique is still sort of human - these things are changeling alien robots of indeterminate origin - the fact that they adapt to their surroundings so totally aludes to a possible origin and function for them (think Dreamwave 'Decepticons conquer, Autobots garrison and win hearts and minds' logic): as machines, they had to come from somewhere...

Anyway, I already posted this elsewhere, but here's a quick 'n' dirty sketch of Soundwave multiplying into many, many Ipods, then merging into one really big robot - apologies for the hilariously inaccurate roadsign and highway markings...

Ipod Soundwave

++EDIT++ (quite important): Tom Desanto - I think he is one of the producers, but I meant Don 'Meatloaf' Murphy. D'oh.

Archived