• MP Dinobots!
    • MP Insecticons!
    • MP Triple Changers!
    • MP Combiners!
    • MP Hot Rod / Rodimus Prime
    • MP Galvatron
    • MP Base/Cityformers!
    • Other!
    • Screw G1; I want MP Beast Wars figures!

I think the problem with doing Hot Rod as an MP figure is that he'd have to have an alt mode that's actually a real vehicle, as a giant version of the original G1 (or even Classics) car will look goofy.

THE HELL YOU SAY!!!

okay you might have a point there, but I don't want to admit it

P.S. "Soundwave"... I seriously don't get this one. G1 Soundwave was one of the best-executed figures in the line. There are no glaring inconsistencies between the cartoon and toy designs, either. Even his cassette dudes were really nicely done. I get the importance of the character and his popularity in the fandom (heck, he was one of my favorites back in the day), but as far as needing MP treatment, I don't think I'd put him that high on the list. (Same goes for Shockwave.)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the problem with doing Hot Rod as an MP figure is that he'd have to have an alt mode that's actually a real vehicle, as a giant version of the original G1 (or even Classics) car will look goofy.

THE HELL YOU SAY!!!

:tflaugh Hot Rod's one of my favorite characters, but when I thought about his alt mode as a 1:18th scale car, I realized that there was pretty much no way that it wouldn't look like a giant toy.

P.S. "Soundwave"... I seriously don't get this one. G1 Soundwave was one of the best-executed figures in the line. There are no glaring inconsistencies between the cartoon and toy designs, either. Even his cassette dudes were really nicely done. I get the importance of the character and his popularity in the fandom (heck, he was one of my favorites back in the day), but as far as needing MP treatment, I don't think I'd put him that high on the list. (Same goes for Shockwave.)

While I agree on your assesment of G1 Soundwave, I think a big, more posable version of him would sell - especially, if it incorporated some electronics (for instance, he could play MP3s).

THE HELL YOU SAY!!!

:tflaugh Hot Rod's one of my favorite characters, but when I thought about his alt mode as a 1:18th scale car, I realized that there was pretty much no way that it wouldn't look like a giant toy.

While I agree on your assesment of G1 Soundwave, I think a big, more posable version of him would sell - especially, if it incorporated some electronics (for instance, he could play MP3s).

yikes

so I guess he would have to come with a warranty or something?

that could get all kinds of hairy

yikes

so I guess he would have to come with a warranty or something?

that could get all kinds of hairy

Heh, I'm not imagining hiim to be too complicated. No touchscreen or fancy ipody wheelbuttons: essentially just a flash drive, a USB connector, software to play the MP3s and some speakers (maybe a headphone jack). Half of what's required is already in the toys with soundchips, just make the buttons on his chest capable of skipping through songs, etc.

THE HELL YOU SAY!!!

Isn't that kinda the point?

THE HELL YOU SAY!!!

Isn't that kinda the point?

Heh, perhaps I didn't phrase that correctly.

By "giant toy" I meant that at larger scales Hot Rod's non-realistic alt mode would be much more Playskol-ish looking - and the MP line seems to be somewhat focused on having a "realistic" alt mode.

Galvy gets my vote, though it would be totally wicked to get a great MP Grimlock. An MP Soundwave with a built-in mp3 player would be neato too :tftongue But Galvatron is the one I really want to see.

Lets hear some love for old Shockwave! I can't believe he's not at the top of the list...he will probably never be reissued, because of copyright/mold missing (insert excuse here). So a masterpiece version would be the next best thing. Could you imagine? The original mold is freaken awesome by itself…probably one of the best G1 molds around…a masterpiece version would be sweet!

Archived