Deaf Transfans?

Maximo Prime

That would've doubled my production time. :rofl

I only subbed any vocal noise - dialogue, screams, grunts, some breathing where appropriate.

thanks for the kudos, guys! Buddykiller - thanx! (he was with me at the beginning of this whole thing)

Goki - do you know who the deaf Tfan is? if you could contact her, I could get her a copy of this.

As a rule, most kiddy action cartoons don't have subtitles - none that I've seen. I've got DVDs of G1, BW, BMac - nothing.

Which is a shame, for some HOH folks like my fiancee, when she watches TV she relies on reading lips and subtitles/captions (she can still hear to a degree, but these two aids help tremendously). When I wanted to get her to watch TFTM, she said - does it have subs?

Nope. Oh and honey? Half the folks have plates over their mouths, and the rest mostly look like they're saying Maa maa maa mo maa moo maa maa mAA! Not to mention that no one speaks without some sort of distorting robotic effect on their voice (I'm looking at you especially, Soundwave! :grr )

there's no way she could get into it at all if she'd have such a hard time following what's going on - plus, she's not acustomed to the whole two sides battle cartoon thing...she'd be LOST.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

jmo, subtitles should be on EVERY dvd released. they take absolutly NO space on the dvd what-so-ever, but it's not like they're that concerned about quality as far as children's shows go, but yea, i knew one kid when that i went to school with that had to wear hearing aids since the second grade, i'm sure there are quite a few hearing impared children out there, and timing a damned subtitle file isn't going to break the bank.

jmo, subtitles should be on EVERY dvd released. they take absolutly NO space on the dvd what-so-ever, but it's not like they're that concerned about quality as far as children's shows go, but yea, i knew one kid when that i went to school with that had to wear hearing aids since the second grade, i'm sure there are quite a few hearing impared children out there, and timing a damned subtitle file isn't going to break the bank.

:pfx

It should be done. It would benefit the deaf/hard of hearing viewers for obvious reasons, but it would also give DVD makers a wider audience to sell to.

Subtitles are indeed something that should be included on every DVD release.

I mean people who dislike them can simply turn them off while other who need or simply prefer them can use them. It is the ideal solution. Plus it will boost sales because when the show is aired it is not subtitled but deaf people would like to be able to watch it.

And allthough "damm" is not a swear word I do not feel it is appropriate for a children's cartoon. The language used in the Headmasters cartoon shocked me as it is directed at an even younger age group. Kids pick up bad words really fast so cartoon makers really have a responsibility there.

But it is a neat effort indeed. Impressive.

Well done Maximo! Not to rain on your parade, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find a major studio title DVD without, at the very least, English subtitles for the hearing impaired. I would be surprised if the new anniversary DVD didn't have them. Its nice to see that there are still some unselfish people out there such as yourself. Congrats.

How sad. rumblecry.gif

You would think that even if one fan contacted them, that they would do their best to respond. I'm sure that there is no profit in it, but if they would just get a copy of the script and spend a day editing it in, it would be nice.

That really sucks. I hope that the new DVD set has subtitles.

Well, er... to be honest, it was kinda her fault that her effort to convince a certain DVD company to put subtitles on the TF DVDs failed. I brought her into this chatroom where she could forward her case to a friend of mine who is also a leading employee at a company that produces TF DVDs... and although she had a perfectly valid case, she wasn't able to successfully present her case because she lost her temper and exchanged many ugly words. I can understand her personal frustration in terms of so many DVD companies being too lazy to include subtitles for the hearing impaired - and as BuddyKiller said, it barely costs them any more to install them, and as bigds9fan said, with DVD technology allowing for subtitles to be toggled on and off, it doesn't inconvenience hearing-abled people who don't want the subtitles on. But at the same time, no matter how valid your argument is, it doesn't justify swearing and abusing people... and in the end, nobody listened to her and she just logged off in frustration. The DVD company rep did nothing to provoke her. He just asked her what her request was and she just totally attacked him.

Speaking of DVDs... I seriously misplaced my movie. Which is way unlike me. I have all of my music and movies in alphabetical order on the shelf.

I can't remember what the hell I did with it. Could have loaned it to a friend... ??? I've been busy, but in recent days I've been wanting to watch the movie. slytf.gif

Well mine got burgled, so I'm gonna need to replace it. :P

Goki - do you know who the deaf Tfan is? if you could contact her, I could get her a copy of this.

Yeah... although after that little story I just told I'm obviously not going to publically identify her now. ;p d;

I'll PM you sometime in the near future. ;)

Subtitles are indeed something that should be included on every DVD release.

I mean people who dislike them can simply turn them off while other who need or simply prefer them can use them. It is the ideal solution. Plus it will boost sales because when the show is aired it is not subtitled but deaf people would like to be able to watch it.

And allthough "damm" is not a swear word I do not feel it is appropriate for a children's cartoon. The language used in the Headmasters cartoon shocked me as it is directed at an even younger age group. Kids pick up bad words really fast so cartoon makers really have a responsibility there.

But it is a neat effort indeed. Impressive.

yea.... anime most generaly from my experiance is alot "free-er" when it comes to language. although i have noticed that alot of times the english dubbing company will restrict language in a feature imported for marketing toward kids, and the converse is true of those intended to be marketted toward adults. i can't count the times an english dubbing company has substantialy changed the script and story of an anime during dubbing. also, this leads me to how i know they take up almost no space on a dvd what-so-ever (aside from actually handling subtitle files and making my own dvd's) is that most anime dvd's have multiple subtitle settings, normaly you have english for the hearing impared and a seprate english file for those watching the feature in it's original language (the one for hearing impaired being like closed captioning for the english dub and the later being a translation... yup they're different). however, some of the more popular anime (i've seen this a few times from studio ghibli) will not only have spanish and french dubs encluded, but subtitle files for them as well. i just checked and the subtitle file for Jisatsu Circle is a whopping 49kb. the only thing it costs these companies is the time it takes to type out the script and then timing said subtitle file. now, it takes most fansub companies a week (at the very most) to produce a 30 min release of excellent quality. the actual creation and timing of the subtitles probably only took half of that to produce and thats one single person doing the creation of the file and one person timing it. a production company should be able to churn these out in NO time.

Hunter - PM me your address.

Piggy - You're right, and i hope you're right about the anniv. edition. Most cartoons, however, are subless. Not animes, mind you...

Goki - Yeah, that's what I meant - PM me.

To all - I'm gonna try my hand at turning this into a dvd. I've got the software!

At the very least, the disc will play like a normal DVD (instead of just being a CD-ROM you have to play as a file on your computer). At the most, it will have chapters. Maybe some extras? :) But unfortunately, probably no choice of subs or no subs. This will be a subbed only copy.

(after all, what'd be the point of putting this out there if not to exclusively cater to the community of folks ignored up until now?)

Also, to all - Having dated a HOH person for almost two years now, I've gotten very used to having the captions/subtitles on at all times. And I've noticed something - everything that everyone says seems to have a little more meaning, somehow. Maybe because of the fact that you're actively reading the dialogue in addition to just passively hearing it. Dunno.

Anyway, thanks so much for the overwhelming amount of positive feedback on this! I'll let everyone know when the DVD is available for shipment.

Archived