Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

TFormers Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Changing my last topic

Recommended Posts

I wouldn't mind a new line or designs as long as they kept that G1 spirit. Realworld, realistic looking objects or vehicles that transform into a humanoid robot form.

That is the main reason why I love the Binalternator lines. Real vehicles with humanoid robot forms.

I'm only a fan because of G1. Although I felt Beast Wars and Beast Machines were better written, they still mean nothing to me as a fan. ....and the last 4 series were unwatchable.

I'm only a fan because of G1. Although I felt Beast Wars and Beast Machines were better written, they still mean nothing to me as a fan. ....and the last 4 series were unwatchable.

no love for RiD? But, it was, like, G1 with coherant plots and continuity and stuff...

 

but while I disagree with what you say, I will defend to the death your right to say it.

What I really meant to say is are all G1 purists and fanboys afraid of change when It comes to Transformers?

The answer is no, but if you ask that question, technically it's going to be a yes.

 

See, everyone likes and dislikes things.

 

In real life, that's fine, their opinion is taken of what it is, disliking something for their own reasons, but in the fandom, that simply doesn't happen.

 

I've been outspoken on my opinion on Masterpiece Starscream on here.

I've also explained my reasons why and stressed on many occasions that I do not have an issue with change in general, love most new lines; the most expensive TF item I ever bought was a human from Energon, I'm no geewunner.

It's for very specific reasons relating to original proto, labelling, the way they're pushing it and what it says about Takara's current direction that I have the opinion I do.

 

Taken as that is, that says nothing on my opinions about other figures.

 

Yet when I made a comment about liking the new Titaniums, some people have acted surprised.

 

This is because, regardless of what else I said, I said a figure was worse off for not being G1 enough and that automatically became translated into "I am a geewunner who hates all things different".

 

From that moment on, in the eyes of some, I became the stereotyped masses, I was a close minded geewunner obsessive who hated a figure and everything I said from there on in was not my genuine view, but stuff I pulled out of my ass to rationalise my prejudiced hatred.

 

And it's not just me, since the day I joined here, a fair few people who say they don't like a new series because of it's qualities or lack of, or anything along those lines, have those comments translated into, "I hate new stuff for not being G1, change is bad, I am a troll."

 

And this isn't the only place like that.

 

The point of this is to say that next time someone is against change, look at why. Is it the change? Is it the particular change or direction? Is it the handling of the change, or any of the other possible millions of reasons?

Don't generalise and this question will likely never pop up in your mind.

 

It's easy to be okay with change if the change caters towards your tastes or your interest in Transformers is the gimmick. But for anyone who likes any generation for particular qualities outside of that, changes will not always be good in their eyes.

 

And as for why it appears it's more G1 fans than any other generation, the answer is simple.

 

G1 lasted for over a decade. Those who bought into Transformers then bought into something that evolved yet remained the same.

Change as it was in G1 was not a different continuity with different mythology and the same old characters redone every 5 minutes, it was the same continuity, the same characters, and change came in the dying of characters and the introduction of new ones.

It does still remain the only generation to kill of Optimus and replace him.

Beast Wars is up there too.

Despite the controversy, it sold itself on characters and stories, and tying itself into G1, regardless of original intentions, only strengthened it by making it TNG to G1's Star Trek.

 

Those who bought into Transformers from RiD or Armada onwards however, bought into something more like Final Fantasy or Gundam; a moment in time for a bunch of characters, and then the base concept redone with similar, yet different looking characters and world, ad infinitum.

 

So those that bought into the soap opera or comic style of the first are less likley to find the superficial change and tedious, samey relaunches of the original interesting at all.

To them it's like taking something that once had credibility as more than a toy line and 30 minute commercial and regressing it.

 

Those sold on the latter however, or those who bought into G1 and BW/M for the toys above all else are less likley to see problems with the changes 'cos that's what they bought into.

 

Note I say less and more likely btw, it doesn't mean people will fall into those groups if they bought in at a particular time, just that the qualities will and have attracted people who like those qualities.

 

It's not change though imo, it's the same thing over and over again; it's just safer than G1, which grew beyond it's beginnings, held it's own against Marvel and DC's finest but ultimately stopped as too did the toys.

I don't think they'd want real change, genuine risky change, evolution; I think they just want nice safe resets that guarantee new toys for them every year.

 

But yeah, in short, there's different reasons for disliking change, it's not restricted to G1, and I think the only reason G1 fans are so vocal agaisnt change presently as a group, is because the direction of the franchise is against everything they were sold and many bought into, but enough promise in what they see, as well as bones thrown by Hasbro, that they hang around hoping Transformers will become more than a toy line, as it once was.

 

And of course, some people just want to live in nostalgia.

VW's problem was not wanting to be associated with war after their association with the Nazis in WW2.
it's not just Volkswagon but most German Automakers feel that way. That is why Meister/Jazz Alternator is a Mazda instead of a Porsche. So yeah VW would give up major publicity and such.

 

Porsche owns a quarter of the Volkswagen corporation.

I'm only a fan because of G1. Although I felt Beast Wars and Beast Machines were better written, they still mean nothing to me as a fan. ....and the last 4 series were unwatchable.

 

 

What I really meant to say is are all G1 purists and fanboys afraid of change when It comes to Transformers?

The answer is no, but if you ask that question, technically it's going to be a yes.

 

See, everyone likes and dislikes things.

 

In real life, that's fine, their opinion is taken of what it is, disliking something for their own reasons, but in the fandom, that simply doesn't happen.

 

I've been outspoken on my opinion on Masterpiece Starscream on here.

I've also explained my reasons why and stressed on many occasions that I do not have an issue with change in general, love most new lines; the most expensive TF item I ever bought was a human from Energon, I'm no geewunner.

It's for very specific reasons relating to original proto, labelling, the way they're pushing it and what it says about Takara's current direction that I have the opinion I do.

 

Taken as that is, that says nothing on my opinions about other figures.

 

Yet when I made a comment about liking the new Titaniums, some people have acted surprised.

 

This is because, regardless of what else I said, I said a figure was worse off for not being G1 enough and that automatically became translated into "I am a geewunner who hates all things different".

 

From that moment on, in the eyes of some, I became the stereotyped masses, I was a close minded geewunner obsessive who hated a figure and everything I said from there on in was not my genuine view, but stuff I pulled out of my ass to rationalise my prejudiced hatred.

 

And it's not just me, since the day I joined here, a fair few people who say they don't like a new series because of it's qualities or lack of, or anything along those lines, have those comments translated into, "I hate new stuff for not being G1, change is bad, I am a troll."

 

And this isn't the only place like that.

 

The point of this is to say that next time someone is against change, look at why. Is it the change? Is it the particular change or direction? Is it the handling of the change, or any of the other possible millions of reasons?

Don't generalise and this question will likely never pop up in your mind.

 

It's easy to be okay with change if the change caters towards your tastes or your interest in Transformers is the gimmick. But for anyone who likes any generation for particular qualities outside of that, changes will not always be good in their eyes.

 

And as for why it appears it's more G1 fans than any other generation, the answer is simple.

 

G1 lasted for over a decade. Those who bought into Transformers then bought into something that evolved yet remained the same.

Change as it was in G1 was not a different continuity with different mythology and the same old characters redone every 5 minutes, it was the same continuity, the same characters, and change came in the dying of characters and the introduction of new ones.

It does still remain the only generation to kill of Optimus and replace him.

Beast Wars is up there too.

Despite the controversy, it sold itself on characters and stories, and tying itself into G1, regardless of original intentions, only strengthened it by making it TNG to G1's Star Trek.

 

Those who bought into Transformers from RiD or Armada onwards however, bought into something more like Final Fantasy or Gundam; a moment in time for a bunch of characters, and then the base concept redone with similar, yet different looking characters and world, ad infinitum.

 

So those that bought into the soap opera or comic style of the first are less likley to find the superficial change and tedious, samey relaunches of the original interesting at all.

To them it's like taking something that once had credibility as more than a toy line and 30 minute commercial and regressing it.

 

Those sold on the latter however, or those who bought into G1 and BW/M for the toys above all else are less likley to see problems with the changes 'cos that's what they bought into.

 

Note I say less and more likely btw, it doesn't mean people will fall into those groups if they bought in at a particular time, just that the qualities will and have attracted people who like those qualities.

 

It's not change though imo, it's the same thing over and over again; it's just safer than G1, which grew beyond it's beginnings, held it's own against Marvel and DC's finest but ultimately stopped as too did the toys.

I don't think they'd want real change, genuine risky change, evolution; I think they just want nice safe resets that guarantee new toys for them every year.

 

But yeah, in short, there's different reasons for disliking change, it's not restricted to G1, and I think the only reason G1 fans are so vocal agaisnt change presently as a group, is because the direction of the franchise is against everything they were sold and many bought into, but enough promise in what they see, as well as bones thrown by Hasbro, that they hang around hoping Transformers will become more than a toy line, as it once was.

 

And of course, some people just want to live in nostalgia.

 

 

I think that sums up my feelings completely. Like JoshLowe said, G1 was the first and lasted the longest and was the strongest of the series as far as fans, toysales, legacy, etc, not to say anything against BW or BM, which the shows were pretty decent, didnt care much for the toys myself, and the rest of the stuff, well I"ve never seen RID but I didnt care for the toys and the rest, well it speaks for itself.

Meh, G1 is done.

 

As lond as change doesn't mean more bullBlot minicon/powerlinking/cyberkey gimicks I'm all for it. :thumb

 

Having an entire cast of humans "pretending" to be transformers and stuff wasn't all that great an idea either. :roll

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sign Up For The TNI Newsletter And Have The News Delivered To You!
SOCIAL NETWORKS

ToyNewsI MarvelousNews Tformers JediInsider
Entertainment News International (ENI) is the oldest, largest, and most popular news source for adult toy collectors (kidults) all around the world.

Get the scoop every day on all the popular culture action figures, comics, games, movies, toys, and more!

Contact and Support
Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy


All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Please Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.