I officially quit the retail stores

Devil Mazinkaiser

I was just about to call it quits too, but last night I had a good haul. I found Primus w/o head (already have GF Primus though), Quickmix, Giant Planet minicons, Cyb Demolisher (which I left), a whole bunch of somewhat older stuff I already have but haven't seen in awhile (Excellion, Downshift, Skywarp, Override GTS...), and I barely missed Mirage. There was, and is, a Meister sitting in Wal-Mart, so I think that I just missed Mirage and Prime. I also finally found Wing Saber and Menasor last weekend, so I am doing pretty well w/ all the new stuff.

At least it is good to know that things are finally getting restocked and I won't have to resort to online totally.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was just about to call it quits too, but last night I had a good haul. I found Primus w/o head (already have GF Primus though), Quickmix, Giant Planet minicons, Cyb Demolisher (which I left), a whole bunch of somewhat older stuff I already have but haven't seen in awhile (Excellion, Downshift, Skywarp, Override GTS...), and I barely missed Mirage. There was, and is, a Meister sitting in Wal-Mart, so I think that I just missed Mirage and Prime. I also finally found Wing Saber and Menasor last weekend, so I am doing pretty well w/ all the new stuff.

At least it is good to know that things are finally getting restocked and I won't have to resort to online totally.

PM'ed....  :thumb

My current problem in my area is that i see stuff move - and then the shelves sit empty. Or liek One Rico sits there for weeks and weeks.

But if EVERY figure in say an 8 figure assortment (2 boxes hit the floor) and they sell out in say 2 weeks - but one sits there - it seems profitable to order another box or two. Isnt that turnover how they stay in business?

The TF section in my Target is horrific.  they simply arent restocking anything. even though it clearly sells when it is stocked.

Okay, it's been a long time coming but I have officially had it with the stupid Wallycrons, Tar-jays, and TRUs of Florida.

Never anything new, EVER!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, I think that my local stores intentionally overstock with old crap just to frustrate me. And to make it worse, today a little kid at a store yells... YAY!!!!! ENERGON IRONHIDE!!!!!!! And he dove for it like he found Primus (with head) or something.

So now, I have turned to the online stores for my TF fix. I got my Alt. Mirage from Digital Toys two days ago, Cybertron Unicron comes today from ebay and I just "bought it now" for a Cyb. Menasor. I might pay a little more, but at least I will finally get something that I see every other fan enjoying and save the money on gas while 'hunting'.

End rant - carry on everyone.... thanks for being there.    :wave

Dude, I haven't had that problem here in Southern Florida.  In Ft Lauderdale I've had to wait for a bit but I'm surprised that I've been able to find just about all the bots I've been looking for.  Found Mirage a couple of days ago and I was surprised about that.  Only thing I'm looking for now is Cybertron Galvy and the Starscream / Vector Prime set.  I may just hold out for the Classics line though.

The two TRU's close to me never put anything new out.  After asking about the new stuff I was told they could be held for me for a "fee."  Backroom deals for scalpers is sad indeed.  I'm a MISB collector and I aquire almost everything from the net.

Okay, it's been a long time coming but I have officially had it with the stupid Wallycrons, Tar-jays, and TRUs of Florida.

Never anything new, EVER!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, I think that my local stores intentionally overstock with old crap just to frustrate me. And to make it worse, today a little kid at a store yells... YAY!!!!! ENERGON IRONHIDE!!!!!!! And he dove for it like he found Primus (with head) or something.

So now, I have turned to the online stores for my TF fix. I got my Alt. Mirage from Digital Toys two days ago, Cybertron Unicron comes today from ebay and I just "bought it now" for a Cyb. Menasor. I might pay a little more, but at least I will finally get something that I see every other fan enjoying and save the money on gas while 'hunting'.

End rant - carry on everyone.... thanks for being there.    :wave

Dude, I haven't had that problem here in Southern Florida.  In Ft Lauderdale I've had to wait for a bit but I'm surprised that I've been able to find just about all the bots I've been looking for.  Found Mirage a couple of days ago and I was surprised about that.  Only thing I'm looking for now is Cybertron Galvy and the Starscream / Vector Prime set.  I may just hold out for the Classics line though.

Let me know if you are serious about Cybertron Galvy - he is shelf warming here.

And who knows... maybe if some of this stock is moved around some new stuff might come in!  :thumb

Sometimes stuff just doesn't sell quickly. I imagine a large retail store with a large customer base would rather keep old stock on the shelves than send it back to the manufacturer at a loss.

But it's not like E Ironhide is keeping you from getting Alt Mirage and BW 10th Megs and Primal etc.

Which is it?  One the one hand, you say that stores would rather keep old stock than return it at a loss [to clear up space for new stock].  On the other hand, you say that Energon Ironhide is not keeping him from getting new stock.  They're in direct contradiction of each other.  He's clearly not getting new toys because they're waiting for the over-ordered old ones to clear out and it's an undisputable fact that many stores operate this way.

In regards to the kid that was happy to see Energon Ironhide of all things, that's me finding GoBots in 1988 flashed forward almost 20 years.  Huge toy lines are churned out so damned fast these days that kids, had their attention spans not kept pace, would be SOL should some beloved toy get wrecked.  Heck, Hasbro wouldn't have to repaint everything 10 times if they'd just keep popular figures in circulation longer than 2 months.

Of course, I say the same thing about Marvel Legends...which I think could be a perpetually running toyline if major characters like Magneto were available every other year instead of 2 months in 2003.  All they'd have to do is sculpt 100-200 figures and cycle through them in the space of half a decade over and over.  It might even get kids back into comics, since nobody's bothered with a decent Marvel universe show since Spiderman ended in the 90s.

Anyway, the retail hunt hasn't been worth it for a long time and gas prices were the last nail in the coffin.  I had quit Alternators right around the Tracks/Meister fiasco in favor of Binaltech...which worked great until Tomy threw a monkey wrench into the works.  Chances are pretty high that most of what I get for Classics'll come from the Internet stores - the magnitude of scalping on it is going to be unfathomable.

Archived