• 50-150
    • 150-300
    • 300-500
    • 500-1000
    • 1000+

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Multiples, like variants, don't count. :)

By the rules of the 2005 Survey Protocol, you would have approx. 1.5k TFs (give or take a few hundred figures) if you have virtually the entire collection of TFs.

Then there's Harold Tietjens (author of the Unofficial Recognition Guide)... who has a virtual complete collection of Transformers... in triplicate. :P

I think that you should be able to count your figures any way that you want.

Like I said in other threads, if you have multiples of a figure, or even varients of the same figure, you still own that figure, it is still part of your collection and if you want to, you should be able to count it.

There is no "official" way to count. If DJ Soundwave says he has over 3000 figures then I believe him (especially after seeing some of those pics).

You feel free to count however you want, and we will count our own collections however we want.

Well I'll tell you this, with the exception of about a dozen or so really rare Japanese TFs...... I have everything .

MainDisplay1.jpg

Thats not 3000. :wtf   Anyway I have more than 200, less than 300.  This is a totally new collection Im starting after I sold everything last year. :tfgrin

You sold every thing and now you're back to 200 +?! Why'd you sell em? I've been collecting since 98 and all I have is between 200-300.

I think I have a bit over 100.

I collect only autobot Binaltechs who were vehicles in their G1 incarnations( i.e. no Broadblast/Grimlock ), World's Smallest and I'm currently working on a Prime/Primal/Convoy collection (gone from 2-18 in two months. Whee!).

I also have Unicron(Armada), Unicron(Energon), Brave Maximus and Dengeki Rodimus.

~X

I think that you should be able to count your figures any way that you want.

Like I said in other threads, if you have multiples of a figure, or even varients of the same figure, you still own that figure, it is still part of your collection and if you want to, you should be able to count it.

There is no "official" way to count. If DJ Soundwave says he has over 3000 figures then I believe him (especially after seeing some of those pics).

You feel free to count however you want, and we will count our own collections however we want.

I hear what you're saying, but when comparing collection sizes - like on this poll - allowing everyone to count in their own way devalues the integrity of the results.

For example, imagine two Transfans... let's call them Transfan A and Transfan B. Their mothers were cruel. They both own the following Transformers:

+ Triggerhappy w/ Blowpipe

+ Nightbeat w/ Muzzle

+ Pretender Bumblebee

+ Flywheels

+ Strongarm

+ Energon Strongarm

+ Original Megatron

+ Reissue Megatron

Transfan A does not count multiples, Nebulans, Pretender shells or variants. Therefore she considers herself to have six Transformers. Transfan B on the other hand, does count multiples, Nebulans, Pretender shells, Nebulans - and even Duocon halves, so he considers himself to have twelve Transformers!

You can see that in just this tiny example, by having different methods of classification and counting, Transfan B's collection count is double that of Transfan A, despite the fact that they own exactly the same Transformers!!

Transfan A and Transfan B, like every other Transfan, considers their own personal method of classification to be correct. As I have been repeatedly saying on this thread, neither is more correct than the other -- classification is by nature arbitrary!

BUT, in order to maintain any credibility in any comparative data analysis, it becomes important to adopt a uniform system of classification and counting.

I'm not saying that people aren't allowed to have their own individual systems of counting. That's fine. But if we are going to numerically compare our collections, then we need to have an agreed system of classification and counting... otherwise any attempt to make a comparison is just meaningless (as demonstrated by the hypothetical example of Transfan A and Transfan B).

I know you're a martial artist, so let's make a martial arts analogy here.

Which of these martial artists is sitting in a correct Riding Horse Stance?

qimashi-sm.jpgkiba_dachi_copy.jpg

The correct answer, as I'm sure you know, is that they are both correct... for their styles. The person on the left is sitting in the "Mabu" horse stance typically used in Northern Chinese boxing, whereas the person on the left is sitting in "Kibadachi," commonly used in Southern Chinese and Japanese martial arts (yes there are exceptions, but you get the idea).

So as you can see, it's fairly pointless to compare these two people's horse stances, as they both have different definitions of what a horse stance should look like. Neither is more correct than the other, each variation of the horse stance works for their respective styles. But you know that when judging or comparing practitioners of the same style or similar styles, there needs to be an agreed consensus on what a stance should be - how it works, how it moves and what it looks like. It's fine for people to have variations on a given stance - in fact, any given move in martial arts will have a multitude of variations between styles and even sub-styles. But as you can appreciate, if two martial artists are going to be judged against each other, then they need to be judged within the same criteria.

I hope I'm making sense... need sleepage now... (-_-)

Makes sense, and your example is a very good one, but unfortunately, you are most likely never going to get people to agree on how to classify and/or count their TFs.

I really doubt that DJ Soundwave is ever going to admit that he only has 1500 TFs when in fact he has 3000 figures in total if you count duplicates and varients. Plus when you start to argue about varients you upset the MISB people who might be collecting every packaging version of Cheetor or Armada Prime w/ the different SKU #s. They were probably so proud that they finally were able to find that Prime w/ the 000002 instead of the 000001 SKU and now they don't want to hear how they can only count one of them in their collection. I personally think that is silly, but I am not going to fault them for collecting the way they want to.

My point is, and I think you understand this, is that people are not going to follow some arbitrary counting scheme. They are going to count however they want, so we will probably never be able to get an accurate count of who has the biggest collection.

Just like you said w/ the riding stances, both ways are correct (oh and btw the one on the right is more correct, but that is only b/c I do Okinawan and Korean styles and have never done a Chinese style :tfgrin ).

Well I'll tell you this, with the exception of about a dozen or so really rare Japanese TFs...... I have everything .

MainDisplay1.jpg

Thats not 3000. :wtf   Anyway I have more than 200, less than 300.  This is a totally new collection Im starting after I sold everything last year. :tfgrin

You sold every thing and now you're back to 200 +?! Why'd you sell em? I've been collecting since 98 and all I have is between 200-300.

Last year I went through a change.  I got bored with TF's.  Then money sucked cause my wife wasn't working after the kids were born then I missed time at work when Mark(baby on the right) had heart surgery.  Then I just wanted to get back into and said I'd do it bigger than before.

i was unaware of the rules!!!! but even then i'm in at over 1000. counting what i consider tf's i'm at 1500+, counting everything tf related i'm over the 2000 item mark.

Archived