Should Hasbro commission an adult Transformers cartoon?

Goktimus Prime

Adult-oriented Transformers Animation  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Should Hasbro make an adult-oriented TF cartoon?

• I'd love to see an adult-oriented Classicsverse cartoon
    • I'd love to see an adult-oriented TF cartoon but it doesn't have to be Classicsverse
    • I think Transformers cartoons should remain being primarily made for kids
    • Other (please specify)

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think something along the lines of the comic series would do well. pick just about any one of them and you have an adult oriented TF series that is very good.

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't mind it, but at the same time I'd be worried they'd go to far. Sometimes in that quest to make something more adult, they go overboard and there went the quality of the show.

What's wrong with Transformers Prime?

There's nothing wrong with TF Prime per se, but it's still predominantly targeted at kids, not adults. The stories do have some interesting elements in it... but it's still mostly written for kids. And I'm not saying this is a bad thing, but what I'd like to see is a Transformers cartoon written just for adults.

Also, Transformers Prime isn't a true reimagining of G1 (the producers have admitted that it's an amalgam of Movieverse meets Animated). I used G.I. Joe Resolute as as a comparative example because that show is a reimagining of A Real American Hero and is very much aimed at adult fans.

And I agree with dcj91x - a lot of comic stories would work really well in such a cartoon. Target 2006, Time Wars, Matrix Quest, Last Stand of the Wreckers etc. - it'd be awesome if these story arcs were adapted into animated films (much like what DC and Marvel have done; although I find DC's animated films to be more adult).

I wouldn't mind it, but at the same time I'd be worried they'd go to far. Sometimes in that quest to make something more adult, they go overboard and there went the quality of the show.

Yeah, Beast Machines was an example of that. A well written story in itself, but a poor addition to Transformers. The problem with Beast Machines was it got too philosophical for its own good and got boring... and also deviated from the orthodox "spirit" of Transformers. As much as we may criticise the live action movies, the first movie especially did capture the core spirit of Transformers quite well (less so with ROTF and DOTM).

But again, this is why I used G.I. Joe Resolute as a comparative example... it captures the spirit of G.I. Joe ARAH quite well and at the same time delivered an interesting story aimed at adults. And also G.I. Joe is another Hasbro toy franchise... so it's not as if I'm comparing it with adult-oriented animation titles that weren't spawned from a toyline (e.g. Ghost In The Shell, Hellsing etc.)

"(The executive producer) phoned me up and said, we’d really like you to write a G.I. Joe animation, at a PG-13 rating, aimed at an older viewer." - Warren Ellis (G.I. Joe Resolute script writer)

BM's biggest problem (opinions on actual show may vary), is that it was way to mature for a Saturday morning cartoon intended for kids. Maybe at a later time schedule aimed at an older audience.

I vote yes, though I know Hasbro would never finance it. What I would like to see are several select episodes of G1 completely redone in CG using for the most part the original audio track. When I say several select episodes I am really referring to 90% of Season 1, 10% of season 2, TFTAM, and about 7% of season 3

What's wrong with Transformers Prime?

It's boring. Got bored watching it quickly all the way up through season 1. There just wasnt much reason to watch it and I haven't since.

Archived