When Did Prices Drop On Gen 1 Figures

Dark_Supreme_Jetfire

Prices are dropping across the board in the auctions. While those that do only BIN's seem to be going up and getting relisted because no one is going to pay the crazy prices. Most the sellers it seems do not understand people preference of wanting and finding the cheapest item.

agreed. and thanks to the eBay app on my phone, i can casually look throughout the day in my saved searches for auctions to watch and BIN's to ignore.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I consider myself a huge fan of Transformers and have been for years now (I'm knocking 40!) and I have seen various incarnations of these robots in disguise come and go.

Without Generation 1 we probably wouldn’t be here now, but as polls and forums are there to offer discussion and opinions, I feel I can honestly say... the Gen 1 toys are poor, badly designed, and ugly in comparison to the newer, modern styled, articulated advanced versions such as Armada, Cybertron, Alternators/BT, Universe/Henkei, Alternity, Generations/United, Fansproject and even some of the Bayverse!

Some of us know it, or have thought it on occasions, but some are afraid to say it out loud.

The vehicle modes are well done but those darn robot modes....!Don’t get me wrong, I love Transformers, but if we are talking toy lines, these days I can live without any Gen 1 figures (let’s not mention Beast-whatever).

If the original molds of Gen 1 had new articulation fitted, would it make a difference, would old fans then hold on to their Gen 1?

This is only my opinion via a poll/forum which asked a question.

Hell, if I make it to Auto Assembly this year I'd even splash it across a t-shirt, Gen 1 toys suck, anyone else dare? :mwahaha

I consider myself a huge fan of Transformers and have been for years now (I'm knocking 40!) and I have seen various incarnations of these robots in disguise come and go.

Without Generation 1 we probably wouldn't be here now, but as polls and forums are there to offer discussion and opinions, I feel I can honestly say... the Gen 1 toys are poor, badly designed, and ugly in comparison to the newer, modern styled, articulated advanced versions such as Armada, Cybertron, Alternators/BT, Universe/Henkei, Alternity, Generations/United, Fansproject and even some of the Bayverse!

Some of us know it, or have thought it on occasions, but some are afraid to say it out loud.

The vehicle modes are well done but those darn robot modes....!Don't get me wrong, I love Transformers, but if we are talking toy lines, these days I can live without any Gen 1 figures (let's not mention Beast-whatever).

If the original molds of Gen 1 had new articulation fitted, would it make a difference, would old fans then hold on to their Gen 1?

Hell, if I make it to Auto Assembly this year I'd even splash it across a t-shirt, Gen 1 toys suck, anyone else dare? :mwahaha

I find it interesting that you are comparing the late 70's Diaclone, and 80's G1 to the current output of Transformers, in which quite honestly there is no comparison, Just like there is no comparison from Generations to whatever Transformer line exists 25 years from now. G1 toys are collected mostly out of Nostalgia, and you can not compare it to any other line, While yes many of the current lines are superior to it, G1 is the beginning and some parts of G1 are still superior to what has come after it.

I'm also sensing a coming lull in Transformers, where prices will be dropping even more as interest wanes after DOTM

Sorry, but the ones you named just keep getting put back on eBay with their crazy BIN's. Where in the actual auction. I have only seen Ultra Magnus, Grimlock and Swoop MISB go for more then $30

Ah, well it has been awhile since i've checked A/E/C prices...I just remember those pieces used to go for high amounts. Anywho this topic was originally about G1 figures...guess we've all gotten off track.

That must have been when Energon was canceled, and yeah this was originally about G1 figures but it was destined to go off track

Were still on Tformers right? :tflaugh

Without Generation 1 we probably wouldn’t be here now, but as polls and forums are there to offer discussion and opinions, I feel I can honestly say... the Gen 1 toys are poor, badly designed, and ugly in comparison to the newer, modern styled, articulated advanced versions such as Armada, Cybertron, Alternators/BT, Universe/Henkei, Alternity, Generations/United, Fansproject and even some of the Bayverse!

The vehicle modes are well done but those darn robot modes....!Don’t get me wrong, I love Transformers, but if we are talking toy lines, these days I can live without any Gen 1 figures (let’s not mention Beast-whatever).

I dont think that anyone would deny that the engineering in G1 pales in comparison to today's standards. I think most people collect them due to nostalgia or just because their highly collectible. As far as G1 is concerned I'm a nostalgia collector as I only get Soundwave and cassettes. Not saying if something special comes my way that I wont pass it up but for the most part I'm content with getting updates via CHUUG.

Fitting the old toys with new articulation, if possible in the first place I think could be successful for the fans. I dont think financially on HasTaks side its a good idea though because you have to create new or alter existing, already really old and worn out molds. But one could argue that if you want a classic toy with new articulation then just get something from CHUUG. Plus their waaay cheaper.

A lot of people are concerned that their collections are dropping in worth. I wouldn't worry about it. This stuff happens all the time. The matter of fact is that those toys aren't getting any younger and as time wears on they'll become more scarce and increase in value. Some of them anyway. Honestly I've never been concerned too much about the value of my collection. The way I see it if I'm not looking to sell it, then why bother myself worrying so much about it's value? Then again I cant enjoy them in my grave and I have no children to pass them too. Maybe I should just sell what I can and chuck the rest in the trash.

Without Generation 1 we probably wouldn't be here now, but as polls and forums are there to offer discussion and opinions, I feel I can honestly say... the Gen 1 toys are poor, badly designed, and ugly in comparison to the newer, modern styled, articulated advanced versions such as Armada, Cybertron, Alternators/BT, Universe/Henkei, Alternity, Generations/United, Fansproject and even some of the Bayverse!

The vehicle modes are well done but those darn robot modes....!Don't get me wrong, I love Transformers, but if we are talking toy lines, these days I can live without any Gen 1 figures (let's not mention Beast-whatever).

I find it interesting that you are comparing the late 70's Diaclone, and 80's G1 to the current output of Transformers, in which quite honestly there is no comparison, Just like there is no comparison from Generations to whatever Transformer line exists 25 years from now. G1 toys are collected mostly out of Nostalgia, and you can not compare it to any other line, While yes many of the current lines are superior to it, G1 is the beginning and some parts of G1 are still superior to what has come after it.

I'm also sensing a coming lull in Transformers, where prices will be dropping even more as interest wanes after DOTM

I have to agree, I don't think such comparisons are really fair. When I do occasionally buy a G1 toy, I'm not doing it for articulation or really design for that matter. I just like that they remind me of watching the cartoon when I was younger.

You do not need to compare the two types. The types of toys we have now are due to constant revisioning, updating and new processes. All the things that were learned from making the older toys have brought us to what we have now. And this might even be the middle of the story, for if they are making TFs 25 years from now, the toys we have today might be called bricks by those standards!

I am loving the new updates of the G1 Characters, but like I said for G1 its all Nostalgia driven. The CHUUG universe is awesome and for the most part a great update for G1. There are also 3 current collections in my house. My collection, that will become a generational collection one day. My son has his own collection and he is two his favorite is the monkey bott from the Transformers Go-Bots line. (Got to start them early:tflaugh) Even my daughter who is 4 has her own collection her holy grail figure is Arcee from Animated. Sure their figures are not complete, but they love them and I'm even thinking about taking them to a Botcon when they are older. To me that is the value of my collection being able to share it with my children

I am loving the new updates of the G1 Characters, but like I said for G1 its all Nostalgia driven. The CHUUG universe is awesome and for the most part a great update for G1. There are also 3 current collections in my house. My collection, that will become a generational collection one day. My son has his own collection and he is two his favorite is the monkey bott from the Transformers Go-Bots line. (Got to start them early:tflaugh) Even my daughter who is 4 has her own collection her holy grail figure is Arcee from Animated. Sure their figures are not complete, but they love them and I'm even thinking about taking them to a Botcon when they are older. To me that is the value of my collection being able to share it with my children

Lucky. I'd like to have some youngins to share with. But thats what I got Tformers for I guess.

Lucky. I'd like to have some youngins to share with. But thats what I got TFormers for I guess.

The kids usually just sneak up on you, especially the girls. You go from no kids to 3 before you know it. It's great

i wonder if having the ability to bid on items right from your phones like an iphone or ipad while on the go has anything to do with prices dropping. Since you're able to watch them from within the apps and bid, there's no reason to leave high proxy bids just in case you got busy or were out of the house. Lower proxy bids mean people get outbid quicker which results in lower prices.

Archived