Anyone else enjoy GI Joe over RoTF?

PuertoRiCON

RoTF is a film that has polarized many Transformers fans. I liked it for what it was, but did have issues with some of the characters and pacing of the film. I didn't think it was better than the first Transformers movie. I really wanted it to be, but sitting in the theater I didn't enjoy it as much as I did when I saw Bay's first Transformers film in 2007. I never thought I would ever want a Transformers movie to end, but thats how I felt by the time the 3rd act of RoTF.

Fast forward to last night and GI Joe : The Rise of COBRA. I read a few reviews, which were mixed and not as negative as some of the reviews I read about RoTF. I went into RoTF with low expectations and I am sad to say some of those low expectations were met. Going into GI Joe, I had similar expectations. I figured I would just turn off my brain for a couple of hours and watch an action flick which is based on my other favorite passion from my childhood. I was wrong.

I completely enjoyed the movie. I would never compare the GI Joe movie to something like The Hurt locker (excellent film, you should see it) but it wasn't just your average "dumb" summer movie. The fears I had about seeing the Joe's in "Accelerator Suits" throughout the film were erased. The movie felt like a GI Joe movie, even with some of the liberties that were taken with many of the beloved characters.

Two things I thought was lacking in both Transformers movies were pacing and character development and to my surprise, the writers of GI Joe gave us just that, with plenty of back story to Duke, Ripcord, The Baroness and Cobra Commander. Hell even James McCullen (Destro) is given a little back story (through his ancestors) at the beginning of the film. The pacing was done well also, never giving me a moment of WTF are they doing and why.

Some of the changes did bother me. They are not "Real American Heroes" like their 1980's counterparts but a Global Integrated Joint Operating Entity (G.I .J.O.E. get it?) and the changes to the back story of characters like the Baroness and Cobra Commander was a little too Hollywood but it wasn't that bad. I can live with those cause it isn't just a film that is geared to Americans. Stormshadow and Snake-Eyes battling it out Ninja Style was pure win for the kid in all of us who owned the 3 3/4" figures. There was also a lot of cool tech/vehicles, the Pit, visual throwbacks to past designs.

Unlike RoTF, there wasn't a moment during the film where I looked at my watch to see how long its been since the movie started. This has always been a way I gauged my enjoyment of a film. If I look at my watch to check the time, then I probably am not having a great time seeing the movie. Towards the end of RoTF, I was looking forward to the film to end. When the end of GI Joe came, I actually wanted more and couldn't wait to see the sequel. Funny thing is, this is exactly how I felt at the end of Transformers just two years ago.

I don't expect GI Joe to come even close to making the money RoTF made. Just like RoTF, some people will love it while others will not like it as much. If you are a Joe fan, than go into this the same way you went into the first Transformers movie. the trailers DO NOT do this movie any justice.

BTW: Zartan FTW!!

Side note: I also saw "A Perfect Getaway" with my gal last night. It was another surprisingly good movie. If you like thrillers, I would recommend it.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've not seen either one, but I want to see G.I. Joe this weekend. In comparison to how I felt about RotF, I do not feel the same about G.I. Joe. The professional reviews and personal reviews that I've read level out to one opinion, it's an okay movie. It even got two stars from the Chicago Tribune's film critic, the man who gave RotF one and a half stars. With RotF I had already lost interest because of the way Skids and Mudflap looked. The negative reviews pushed me over the edge and I lost all interest in seeing RotF. G.I. Joe has nothing that I find too visually offensive and it seems to be a pretty good action movie.

Yeah it does seem the critics are kinder to GI Joe than they were to RoTF on an overall level (rightfully so in my opinion). There wasn't any toilet humor, sexual humor, offensive borderline racially incentive humor. It was just a fun film.

Also, before anyone asked, the"Accelerator Suits" are only used in one sequence in the film and not the whole movie.

If you like summer popcorn/action movies you will enjoy this.

I saw GI Joe on Friday and loved it. It defiantly was better than RotF and was structured much better, plus I can't express just how much fun it was. It did it's purpose and to me felt like GI Joe. Naturally it did have it's unpolished moments, but to agree with Bison it moved more fluidly, made you give a damn about the people on screen and left me wanting to see the next one. Something RotF did not leave me feeling, sad to say. Anyone who goes and sees it will have a enjoyable two hours.

But with all the backlash of RotF and the pretty good success of Joe it will be interesting to see how each of the sequels will turn out down the road.

Hmmm, I really didn't think I'd want to see this at all, but...your conversation on some actual character development has sparked my interest. :schin I'm actually thinking about seeing this now...perhaps the accelerator suits won't be so bad, although...I wouldn't be seeing it for the Joes...I'm a Cobra fan!

So in that regard (as a bad guy fan), how do any of you that have seen it think I would like it?!

That's gonna be kinda sad if I do see this, and end up enjoying it more than Transformers... :tfsad

Hmmm, I really didn't think I'd want to see this at all, but...your conversation on some actual character development has sparked my interest. :schin I'm actually thinking about seeing this now...perhaps the accelerator suits won't be so bad, although...I wouldn't be seeing it for the Joes...I'm a Cobra fan!

So in that regard (as a bad guy fan), how do any of you that have seen it think I would like it?!

That's gonna be kinda sad if I do see this, and end up enjoying it more than Transformers... :tfsad

If you expect to see the full on Cobra Organization, you might be disappointed. Remember, this is a Cobra origin story, so its pretty much James McCullen/M.A.R.S. being the main protagonist. Baroness and Stormshadow were fleshed out nicely.

I loved the fact that they went into Stormshadows/Snake-eyes childhoods

The Doctor

(who becomes Cobra Commander)

has the makings of a classic characterization mad scientist madman. Another doctor from Cobra fame makes an appearance too. The Vipers are pretty much soldiers

under mind control

with bad ass looking metal helmets, but I expect them to lean more towards the classic Cobra Viper look in the sequel.

As i said about those Accelerator Suits, they are really only used once in the whole movie. The trailers made it look like that was what made GI Joe the bad ass outfit it actually was but this isn't true. The Paris/Eiffel Tower chase scene is the only time Duke and Ripcord (or anyone else) uses the suit.

Also, remember, this is an Origin story of how Cobra got started. James McCullen is running the show, but by the end, he will become someones bitch. You won't be disappointed and it sets up a sequel perfectly. There is no mistake. This IS a GI Joe movie, and not an action movie with GI Joe character names in place.

If you expect to see the full on Cobra Organization, you might be disappointed. Remember, this is a Cobra origin story, so its pretty much James McCullen/M.A.R.S. being the main protagonist. Baroness and Stormshadow were fleshed out nicely.

I loved the fact that they went into Stormshadows/Snake-eyes childhoods

The Doctor

(who becomes Cobra Commander)

has the makings of a classic characterization mad scientist madman. Another doctor from Cobra fame makes an appearance too. The Vipers are pretty much soldiers

under mind control

with bad ass looking metal helmets, but I expect them to lean more towards the classic Cobra Viper look in the sequel.

As i said about those Accelerator Suits, they are really only used once in the whole movie. The trailers made it look like that was what made GI Joe the bad ass outfit it actually was but this isn't true. The Paris/Eiffel Tower chase scene is the only time Duke and Ripcord (or anyone else) uses the suit.

Also, remember, this is an Origin story of how Cobra got started. James McCullen is running the show, but by the end, he will become someones bitch. You won't be disappointed and it sets up a sequel perfectly. There is no mistake. This IS a GI Joe movie, and not an action movie with GI Joe character names in place.

I thought the vipers were badass and anyone who loves the bad guys would enjoy the film. The actors really do commit themselves to being evil bastards.

I really enjoyed it

but holy damn there were some brutal scenes. Like when Scarlett blows that dudes head clean off or when a JOE shoved a grenade into a viper's helmet and his head exploded (cant remember the JOE). And also the bit with the accelerator suits was acceptable to me. It was only for that one sequence rather then be in the whole movie.

And they did Snake Eyes right damnit! He was so badass!

And I thought the Viper helmets were very reminiscent of Army of Two.

My only gripe really is

Baroness turning good, that really really really pissed me off. I didn't mind her having a previous relationship with Duke, I just wish she didn't become a goody goody. Also, I'm a little disappointed by Cover Girl, I thought she should have been hotter. And less dead. Not so much a gripe but Cobra Commander totally sounded like Darth Vader at the end.

President Zartan FTW!

Archived