Anyone else enjoy GI Joe over RoTF?

PuertoRiCON

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Two things I thought was lacking in both Transformers movies were pacing and character development and to my surprise, the writers of GI Joe gave us just that, with plenty of back story to Duke, Ripcord, The Baroness and Cobra Commander. Hell even James McCullen (Destro) is given a little back story (through his ancestors) at the beginning of the film. The pacing was done well also, never giving me a moment of WTF are they doing and why.

Don't forget Storm Shadow and Snake-Eyes.

Two things I thought was lacking in both Transformers movies were pacing and character development and to my surprise, the writers of GI Joe gave us just that, with plenty of back story to Duke, Ripcord, The Baroness and Cobra Commander. Hell even James McCullen (Destro) is given a little back story (through his ancestors) at the beginning of the film. The pacing was done well also, never giving me a moment of WTF are they doing and why.

Don't forget Storm Shadow and Snake-Eyes.

I didn't, scroll down and see I added them in another post.

Its shameful for RoTF to see the amount of back story that was given in GI Joe, especially when GI Joe is a shorter movie. I wish Bay could have cut some of the slapstick nonsense and used some back story instead. Opportunity missed.

Hmmm, I really didn't think I'd want to see this at all, but...your conversation on some actual character development has sparked my interest. :schin I'm actually thinking about seeing this now...perhaps the accelerator suits won't be so bad, although...I wouldn't be seeing it for the Joes...I'm a Cobra fan!

So in that regard (as a bad guy fan), how do any of you that have seen it think I would like it?!

That's gonna be kinda sad if I do see this, and end up enjoying it more than Transformers... :tfsad

If you expect to see the full on Cobra Organization, you might be disappointed. Remember, this is a Cobra origin story, so its pretty much James McCullen/M.A.R.S. being the main protagonist. Baroness and Stormshadow were fleshed out nicely.

I loved the fact that they went into Stormshadows/Snake-eyes childhoods

The Doctor

(who becomes Cobra Commander)

has the makings of a classic characterization mad scientist madman. Another doctor from Cobra fame makes an appearance too. The Vipers are pretty much soldiers

under mind control

with bad ass looking metal helmets, but I expect them to lean more towards the classic Cobra Viper look in the sequel.

As i said about those Accelerator Suits, they are really only used once in the whole movie. The trailers made it look like that was what made GI Joe the bad ass outfit it actually was but this isn't true. The Paris/Eiffel Tower chase scene is the only time Duke and Ripcord (or anyone else) uses the suit.

Also, remember, this is an Origin story of how Cobra got started. James McCullen is running the show, but by the end, he will become someones bitch. You won't be disappointed and it sets up a sequel perfectly. There is no mistake. This IS a GI Joe movie, and not an action movie with GI Joe character names in place.

I thought the vipers were badass and anyone who loves the bad guys would enjoy the film. The actors really do commit themselves to being evil bastards.

Thanks guys! Knowing this...I think I'll actually go see it now. :thumb

While I didn't see it yet, my brother just got back from seeing it tonight and liked it much more than ROTF, and TF1 for that matter. He said it was much truer to the source material.

Hmmm, I really didn't think I'd want to see this at all, but...your conversation on some actual character development has sparked my interest. :schin I'm actually thinking about seeing this now...perhaps the accelerator suits won't be so bad, although...I wouldn't be seeing it for the Joes...I'm a Cobra fan!

So in that regard (as a bad guy fan), how do any of you that have seen it think I would like it?!

That's gonna be kinda sad if I do see this, and end up enjoying it more than Transformers... :tfsad

If you expect to see the full on Cobra Organization, you might be disappointed. Remember, this is a Cobra origin story, so its pretty much James McCullen/M.A.R.S. being the main protagonist. Baroness and Stormshadow were fleshed out nicely.

I loved the fact that they went into Stormshadows/Snake-eyes childhoods

The Doctor

(who becomes Cobra Commander)

has the makings of a classic characterization mad scientist madman. Another doctor from Cobra fame makes an appearance too. The Vipers are pretty much soldiers

under mind control

with bad ass looking metal helmets, but I expect them to lean more towards the classic Cobra Viper look in the sequel.

As i said about those Accelerator Suits, they are really only used once in the whole movie. The trailers made it look like that was what made GI Joe the bad ass outfit it actually was but this isn't true. The Paris/Eiffel Tower chase scene is the only time Duke and Ripcord (or anyone else) uses the suit.

Also, remember, this is an Origin story of how Cobra got started. James McCullen is running the show, but by the end, he will become someones bitch. You won't be disappointed and it sets up a sequel perfectly. There is no mistake. This IS a GI Joe movie, and not an action movie with GI Joe character names in place.

I thought the vipers were badass and anyone who loves the bad guys would enjoy the film. The actors really do commit themselves to being evil bastards.

Thanks guys! Knowing this...I think I'll actually go see it now. :thumb

Now you know, and knowing is half the battle!

I enjoyed the movie more than I did with RotF. Maybe I enjoyed it more because I'm not a die hard G.I. Joe fan...?

The ending wasn't all that great, but it didn't have that "rely on this guy to finish off the movie", which was good.

I did hate that part at the end where Duke was like: "My army" and then everyone suddenly shows up.

Storm Shadow....I doubt he's dead, but I would've preferred the fight not to end the way it did. Would've preferred a draw.

The accelerator suits were nice, it gave it more of that cartoon feel, with them doing stuff thats not humanly possible.... unless you're Snake Eyes.

My only gripe really is

Baroness turning good, that really really really pissed me off. I didn't mind her having a previous relationship with Duke, I just wish she didn't become a goody goody.

I wasn't feeling that part either, I don't know much about the original cartoon story/relationships, but

her becoming bad again for part 2 is just gonna be.... :roll Also, just because you have to good looking characters on opposite sides, doesn't mean they should get together at the end. Well thats what I think anyways...

Man, Did we see the same movie? Is there another GIJOE movie out there I don't know about? I saw GIJOE, you all say It's better then TF1 and ROTF, not even close. And I believe most of the people who saw it would agree with me. I'm so glad Micheal Bay made the TF movies for everybody and not the die hard fanboys, they would have sucked so bad. Something is just not right, even official movie reviewers are saying that GIJOE was better then ROTF, HOW? All the reviews are mostly attacking Micheal Bay, and not even talking about the movie. What is it about Micheal Bay that critics hate so much? It's like they are pissed so much that most people actually really like his movies, and that they make tons and tons of money.

I know what you all will say, "Just because a movie makes a lot of money doesn't make it a good movie" This statement makes no sense to me. That would be true if ROTF made around 300 million, and people stopped going to see it after word of mouth killed it. But the reality is mostly everybody loved it and continued to go see it, that's why its over 815 million right now. Do you think GIJOE will do that well, NOT A CHANCE IN HELL. It won't even do better then TF 1 that made over 700 million.

Micheal Bay said all the critics have an anti-fun gene, now I know what he was talking about. And for the record, I did enjoy GIJOE, but better then TF1 or TF2, PLEASSEEE!!!!!!!

Man, Did we see the same movie? Is there another GIJOE movie out there I don't know about? I saw GIJOE, you all say It's better then TF1 and ROTF, not even close. And I believe most of the people who saw it would agree with me. I'm so glad Micheal Bay made the TF movies for everybody and not the die hard fanboys, they would have sucked so bad. Something is just not right, even official movie reviewers are saying that GIJOE was better then ROTF, HOW? All the reviews are mostly attacking Micheal Bay, and not even talking about the movie. What is it about Micheal Bay that critics hate so much? It's like they are pissed so much that most people actually really like his movies, and that they make tons and tons of money.

I know what you all will say, "Just because a movie makes a lot of money doesn't make it a good movie" This statement makes no sense to me. That would be true if ROTF made around 300 million, and people stopped going to see it after word of mouth killed it. But the reality is mostly everybody loved it and continued to go see it, that's why its over 815 million right now. Do you think GIJOE will do that well, NOT A CHANCE IN HELL. It won't even do better then TF 1 that made over 700 million.

Micheal Bay said all the critics have an anti-fun gene, now I know what he was talking about. And for the record, I did enjoy GIJOE, but better then TF1 or TF2, PLEASSEEE!!!!!!!

Action sequences and special effects aside, only going by pacing and characterization, can you honestly say RoTF is better?

Action sequences and special effects aside, only going by pacing and characterization, can you honestly say RoTF is better?

Yes, I wasn't expecting any serious Characterization. How many characters are in ROTF? maybe over 25 main characters in the whole movie. It's impossible to get character development with that many characters. Also ROTF was much much funnier then GIJOE. I enjoyed just watching the funny parts that filled the movie until you get to the climax. Ripcord had 2 funny lines in GIJOE, and that was it. If I wanted Transformers Characterization, I'll watch Beast Wars. ROTF was meant to be a fun summer movie, THAT'S IT!, no more, no less. Same goes for GIJOE. It was fun, but not as fun or as funny as ROTF.

Archived