The Fallen on earth only 17,000 years ago?

Th 4RL deal

Alright, now correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the start of Revenge of the Fallen begin with a flashback to 17,000 years ago? Not a longer period of time? If it was longer, go ahead and have a mod delete this thread! But it's just kind of been bugging me...

Maybe I'm too busy thinking in terms of G1, wherein a million years wasn't a big deal, but it just seems that 17,000 was a little... recent, and I need some help figuring out how it all fits together.

Okay, so Megatron crashes on Earth "Several Thousand" years ago. Was there ever a specific time given in any of the prequels and whatnot?

I think 2,000 years feels a little recent, but let's give the movie some leeway.

That means that the All-Spark had to be launched some time before that, in order to give Megatron enough time to track it down, or was he able to follow right on its heels? Let's say he managed to follow it straight to Earth where he crashed. That means the other Transformers have been trying to find it for about 2,000 years themselves. (a bit short to be searching the cosmos, but maybe they just got lucky...)

Now back up, we have to take into account the time spent fighting the war on Cybertron, (that exhausted and destroyed the planet) how much time do we give that? Couple hundred? Full thousand? Couple thousand?

And then the period of peace and prosperity that took place on Cybertron under Prime and Megatron's joint rule.

And then the period before Prime and Megatron were in power. How long does it take Transformers to mature, anyway? Do they spring fully formed from the head of Zeus? (Sorry, weird mythological reference that.)

And yet, with all this almost geological amount of time passing, we're supposed to believe that 17,000 years ago is "Long lost history"? Did I miss something in the movie? Am I being unrealistic?

It just seems to me that anything to do with Transformers tends to go on and on forever due to their almost obscenely low mortality rate.

But then Bay sure seems like he took steps to accelerate that something serious in ROTF...

Argh! I don't see how it all works! Please help me out here! :tfhuh

real simple, it's a movie.

Touche.

Now I just feel embarrassed. Can someone please delete this thread? And cover up my shame?

No need for shame...and let's give him more than a line...

It is a movie...in which the creators didn't feel it necessary to stick to any past time lines or chronology. They picked pieces from this and that mythos; but otherwise, created an entirely new continuity. I'd agree that the continuity does feel a bit compressed...the past on a whole doesn't appear to be that important, other than for flashbacks purposes and for attempts at creating plots...ok, yes the last part was dripping with sarcasm... :shrug

Alright, now correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the start of Revenge of the Fallen begin with a flashback to 17,000 years ago? Not a longer period of time? If it was longer, go ahead and have a mod delete this thread! But it's just kind of been bugging me...

Maybe I'm too busy thinking in terms of G1, wherein a million years wasn't a big deal, but it just seems that 17,000 was a little... recent, and I need some help figuring out how it all fits together.

Okay, so Megatron crashes on Earth "Several Thousand" years ago. Was there ever a specific time given in any of the prequels and whatnot?

I think 2,000 years feels a little recent, but let's give the movie some leeway.

That means that the All-Spark had to be launched some time before that, in order to give Megatron enough time to track it down, or was he able to follow right on its heels? Let's say he managed to follow it straight to Earth where he crashed. That means the other Transformers have been trying to find it for about 2,000 years themselves. (a bit short to be searching the cosmos, but maybe they just got lucky...)

Now back up, we have to take into account the time spent fighting the war on Cybertron, (that exhausted and destroyed the planet) how much time do we give that? Couple hundred? Full thousand? Couple thousand?

And then the period of peace and prosperity that took place on Cybertron under Prime and Megatron's joint rule.

And then the period before Prime and Megatron were in power. How long does it take Transformers to mature, anyway? Do they spring fully formed from the head of Zeus? (Sorry, weird mythological reference that.)

And yet, with all this almost geological amount of time passing, we're supposed to believe that 17,000 years ago is "Long lost history"? Did I miss something in the movie? Am I being unrealistic?

It just seems to me that anything to do with Transformers tends to go on and on forever due to their almost obscenely low mortality rate.

But then Bay sure seems like he took steps to accelerate that something serious in ROTF...

Argh! I don't see how it all works! Please help me out here! :tfhuh

First off, it wasn't 17,000 years ago. It was 17,000 BC. In other words 19,000 years ago; a time when hunanity was still a race of hunter-gatherers. Megatron Followed the All Spark directly. When the All spark was launched, Megatron set out immediately trying to chase it down, hot on its heels so to speak. He lost it when it entered a worm hole, but tracked it down to Earth in relatively short order before crashing in the Arctic Circle. According to the first movie, this happened about 10,000 years ago, give or take. By the time the war had actually begun, the Transformers' history was already lost to the ages, so we can conclude that most of the Transformers of this time are only a couple of thousand years old at the most when the All Spark was launched, rather than the millions of years in G1. The old Seekers like Jetfire though would be truly ancient, even by Cybertronian standards, probably being several million years old. The Original Primes, are almost as old as the universe itself. Basically, the modern Transformers in the movie are far younger than their G1 predecessors.

real simple, it's a movie.

Touche.

Now I just feel embarrassed. Can someone please delete this thread? And cover up my shame?

No need for shame...and let's give him more than a line...

It is a movie...in which the creators didn't feel it necessary to stick to any past time lines or chronology. They picked pieces from this and that mythos; but otherwise, created an entirely new continuity. I'd agree that the continuity does feel a bit compressed...the past on a whole doesn't appear to be that important, other than for flashbacks purposes and for attempts at creating plots...ok, yes the last part was dripping with sarcasm... :shrug

Well OK, I just figure when it comes to fiction, take it as just that.

So lets look at it practicly...

The Good Ol USA is roughly 233 years old, look at all thats been acomplished pros and cons in that time.

It's alot, however when copaired to some other nations that have thousands of years of history, 233yrs isn't that long of a time.

Even with a couple thousand years tacked on, time is relative.

With that in mind, keep in mind that yes Transformers most likely do live longer then the humans average 75yrs, however 233 years ago that number was alot lower.

Now lets up it one more time. The origional Primes left Cyberton looking for the Enrgon in suns to harvest. No where does it say how long ago they left Cybertron with there mission o attain Energon. So even though TF2 begins with a 17-19K year ago flashback on Earth, there is nothing saying that they didn't leave Cybertron millions of years ago if not more.

Bringing things round robin, yes The United States was established 233yrs ago, but North and South America were settled even earlier, and inhabited even earlier still. One must ask, when do things begin, and further more on top of that, when should the the story start being told?

It's all pure speculation, then again, it is just a movie

First off, it wasn't 17,000 years ago. It was 17,000 BC. In other words 19,000 years ago; a time when hunanity was still a race of hunter-gatherers. Megatron Followed the All Spark directly. When the All spark was launched, Megatron set out immediately trying to chase it down, hot on its heels so to speak. He lost it when it entered a worm hole, but tracked it down to Earth in relatively short order before crashing in the Arctic Circle. According to the first movie, this happened about 10,000 years ago, give or take. By the time the war had actually begun, the Transformers' history was already lost to the ages, so we can conclude that most of the Transformers of this time are only a couple of thousand years old at the most when the All Spark was launched, rather than the millions of years in G1. The old Seekers like Jetfire though would be truly ancient, even by Cybertronian standards, probably being several million years old. The Original Primes, are almost as old as the universe itself. Basically, the modern Transformers in the movie are far younger than their G1 predecessors.

Knew we could count on somebody! Thanks, Tramp! :thumb

The origional Primes left Cyberton looking for the Enrgon in suns to harvest. No where does it say how long ago they left Cybertron with there mission o attain Energon. So even though TF2 begins with a 17-19K year ago flashback on Earth, there is nothing saying that they didn't leave Cybertron millions of years ago if not more.

Very interesting point! :thumb

Well we do see that the fallen has some kind of majical ability's.. Levitating sandstone etc.. We dont know how long it took for them to make that harvester.. Could have taken millions of years.

Im an Anthropologist and 19,000 years ago yes we were pretty much bands and tribes. Nothing unrealistic about it. However there should have been cave drawings of these "gods" unless there were no survivors.

Archived