People who have sold all or most of their TFs

Bizzmoff

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, before June of last year, TFs were a very minor hobby. I was a super lurkers on the boards and just brought reissues. My original plan was to just graduate from grad school and then just buy a giant G1 lot and hopefully finish up G1 once I have a job. But after meeting up with the philly crew, I got the crap scared out of me because of the movie and increase in price. So since then, I been buying like a fiend.

Now collecting is a main hobby but still have my other hobbies and classes are still with life on top of that. I'm close to getting done with G1. After that, I will check out some other lines. Over the last couple months, I thought about selling it all or just stopping cause too much money was tied up in them. Seens like the thrill is finding a rare toy or a good deal more than getting the toys. I just buy toys, play with them once then storage them in bins for safe keeping. So for a while I was on the fence about selling or stopping or just taking a break. But after watching some members buy and then sell off their collections and come back again, I decided against it. Cause no matter what, I still want the toys. As long as I finish G1, I'll be happy.

i gave up crack & moved on (true story) i'll do the same with tf's when they bore me

I'm at the point where I'm more selective and have to be careful with what I spend. Starting with Armada I started picking them up like crazy because I was excited that TF's had gone back to vehicles and left the BW era. So I got most of Armada, had a ton of BW, and then the reissues came. Well since then I've sold all of my BW, all of my Armada except for Uni, and a lot of random things I've bought along the way. I realized that buying anything tf is just unwise, so I've gone back to my first interest which is G1 reissues and vintage. I've also included quite a few alts which are more or less G1. The MP's were released and of course I had to get them, but so far all I've got is 20th Prime from '04 and MP-03 with 05 on the way when it releases. I've had to sell a few reissues once and decided I won't do it again. I plan on collecting all or most of G1 and branching out to some Japanese exclusives such as Dethzaurus and the like. The only other line I've bothered completing, I mean really completing is Invader Zim. I just need four more and I have the entire set. I just don't think I could bring myself to sell any of my collection that I've already widdled down. I have what I want to keep, and only plan on buying what I can see myself holding onto in the future.

i always say ill never sell my collection. but who knows what the future has in store. lets just say in an ideal situation, if i never have to sell my collection then i wont. but i dont think ill ever sell them if i even am finished with the hobby. it took to long to aquire just for some fast cash. and theyre worth more than that to me.

FWIW, I started selling plasma before I thought about selling my toys.

I got rid of my old collection back in 1995, just gave it away, got nothing for it. With the current collection, I'm not sure what I'll do with it at this time. I know I'm nearing the end of the collecting, but what I'll do with them after I've stopped collecting is anyone's guess. In my own opinion, I think TF's have reached the best they're going to be. Other than a starship line or continuing the Classics and Alts., I don't see where else the line can go that hasn't already been done.

-.;',

I just often say "What does any of this ultimately amount to?" and think about hauling my entire collection down to the thrift store.

At least once a month or so.

i didnt start collecting transformers until 2001, before that I played with them in the 80's

I have maybe sold or traded 10 transformers out of my collection, I oft consider selling everything but g1/g2 mp prime and the Titaniums, but i have tons of storage space

There is something strange about collectors. Sometimes we lay awake at night thinking of where to order or search for a particular item. Sometimes we want to box them all up and list them on eBay.

I know that collecting can be an addiction, and a very expensive one at that. Have you ever wanted to stop collecting, sell them all, or actually gone through with it? Are you rebuilding your collection after selling most of them? Do some lines get you excited and other not even interest you? Spill your guts and help us all deal with reality :D

*waits for Bizzmoff's End Cap uber-sale*

I gave away all my Transformers when I was in college. I've since followed similar patterns of binging and purging. Oftentimes I fail to recognize the distinction between something that is fun and something that I am trying to fill a void with. Like, buying something because it makes you happy and buying something because it keeps you from being unhappy are two different things. I am trying to be more mindful of this, though, which is why I suspect my collection is presently very very small.

Archived