BW Ultra Magnus

Rawhide

Thanks everyone for the positive comments.

Great to see that a project that has caused me some great annoyance is so well received. Thanks :thumb

Some individual comments:

Nice work!! Looks very clean. :thumb
Nice to see you finished it even tho it was slow going. Turned out well and the paint job looks really nice. Hope none of the injuries were too serious?:tflaugh

Let’s just say that the thumb piercing was the exact same spot on my thumb that I use to hit the space bar...and let’s add to this that it happened at a time that I had to write some reports at work :guh

As for the smoothness of the paint. The red could’ve been smoother. I only discovered this afterwards (at the time I blamed the paint: it’s Revell but since I’ve decided only to use Humbrol), but the needle of my airbrush was damaged. Between layer 1 and 2 I just thought it was slightly warped so I straightened the needle, but a few weeks later after the fur had been painted white and the parts had been coated, I discovered that the tip of the needle was also crooked. Have considered repainting these parts, but wasn’t worth the effort to me.

I've always hated Optimal Optimus. This repaint makes me want to buy Optimal Optimus again just to make this kitbash.

You’d be better off getting a Primal Prime. The four white wings, the panel to which the head is attached, the shoulder/arm connectors and the inside of the round shoulders are all from Primal Prime and are mostly unpainted (wings have some paint on them: the red and silver). I really felt that painting these parts wouldn’t be the smartest thing to do, since there was a lot of contact causing to paint to scrape off.

i love it man. i'm glad to see it's finally done.

i was scared that when we both were finished they were going to look very simular, but i don't think that's going to be the case.

this makes me want to drop everything else and finish mine. thanks for the inspiration.

I’m still amazed that I finished it before you. Of course, you have done quite a lot of other repaints in the mean time. (But you also have access to Krylon Fusion, which is a really big advantage.)

Really hope to see your interpretation soon. You had some interesting ideas :thumb

Is it cold in here?

I’ll pretend that I have no idea what your talking about :tflaugh .

i would so buy 10 of those :eek awesome

Think I’ll settle for one :roll

How does his head fit in when he's in any of his alternate modes?

Not !

If you look at your own O-O/P-P you’ll see that the head already barely fits without any additional paint. For the paint alone I already needed to sand. The extra’s on the head (the antennas and the larger crest simply mean that a) he was unable to transform because the crest was too big and the antennas also got in the way. Furthermore, the antennas were too long which made it impossible to close the panel covering up his head.

I couldn’t accept this (this was one of the reason that it went slow in the beginning). So I really started sanding. If you look at the jetmode pics you can see part of the change. The panel which holds the head is kind of is angled in the front and the hole in the shoulder cannons were the same shape. This last part I changed. I sanded away the plastic (and had to fill up some holes) until it was possible for the head to transform.

To make the head fit I drilled and sawed two holes in the bottom of the shoulderpack. Fearing that too much stress would be placed on the head antennae in ape mode if these just sticked through, I added some styrene to the pack. When in apemode, these pieces of styrene rest on the canopy (so no risk of paintdamage) and give the antennae plenty of space.

To clarify:

BW-Magnus_headinbackpack.jpg

After all these changes, the head does fit with plenty of space to spare.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. That is cool. Like it's supposed to be that way.

Guest Primal-Convoy

Whats great about this mold is that I would happily buy it again repainted.

Anyone else feel the same..or perhaps the same way about any other bots?

Again many thanks for the compliments. (Although I do feel some of you are overreacting :tftongue )

Whats great about this mold is that I would happily buy it again repainted.

I don't know if it would be possible with this mold. I have done a few mixes between repaints, but I don't think I've ever experienced so many minor differences before. Primal Prime really has many little adaptations to make the mold work suggesting there really was some major mold degradation

Looking back at my initial post I’m still somewhat appalled by the quality of the pics (The colors just aren’t right compared with the real thing: they’re too bright on the pics.) But I also noticed you can’t really see the changes I made to the gun. So to correct that, an additional picture. Again, the picture doesn't really give an accurate look of the colors. The base color is flat aluminum with black details: that you can see. But there are also at several places silver highlights.

BW-Magnus_gun.jpg

Since Magnus is supposed to be one of Cybetrons better soldiers, I fel the really needed a powerful gun. I took some inspiration from the original gun and a bit from Fort Max his gun.

Guest Primal-Convoy

No probs. I just meant that the toy seems to ooze "something special". For me, the golden age of Tfs was near the end of the beast wars era and into RID, with Op Op, Dragon Megs, Tigerhawk, Gigatron, Big Convoy, Fire Convoy and the Car Bros, etc. Something about the attention to sculp detail, subtle use of vacume-metalized apps, clear plastic, unique materials, unique transformations and posibility made them seem more "adult" to me. Like really nice McFarlane figs that just happened to, whatya know?...TRNANSFORM too!

Ill admit not everyone enjoyed the kibble, the difficult transformations etc, which is why I think Armada went the way it did. A sort of "back to binaries", as it were.

I agree that this is one of the best-executed repaints I've ever seen. It fits in "style", being that this is Primal upgraded, like Magnus is G1 Prime with more armor and upgrades on him, and you even brought that over in painting the monkey head like the original Prime head on G1 Magnus!

I would definitely buy this if Hasbro sold it. It's a repaint worth having for so many reasons! Way to get the most out of a mold! :thumb

Archived