BW Ultra Magnus

Rawhide

When I first learned a few years ago that Beastwars' Optimal Optimus was called Powered Convoy in Japan (a name homage to the original Diaclone figure), I immediately got the idea to buy an extra Optimal to repaint in the colors of the Diaclone Powered Convoy: a color scheme I like very much. This was before I started repainting TF's. But I always resisted.

Last year I finally succumbed...kind of.

I had already bought an extra Optimal and an extra Primal Prime and had made two hybrid forms. One was supposed to become a fanmade character, but for the other I really had no idea. I toyed for a while with the idea of making it a Jetfire, but in the end decided to let history repeat itself.

Just as the Diaclone Powered Convoy had become Ultra Magnus in Transformers, so my idea to repaint Optimal Optimus in Diaclone Powered Convoy colors changed. And instead I used this Optimal/Primal hybrid to make a Beast Wars Ultra Magnus.

It was a long project (my most complex to date) during which many things went wrong: I had to repaint whole areas because the paint started to crack after applying the second layer, I cut myself regularly, the modifications to the head caused it to no longer fit during transformation, and at one moment I even gave myself a (not intended) thumb piercing using a small screwdriver. Add to this that I often found myself uninterested in working on the project, and you get one very slow going repaint.

But at last, he's finished. And so on to the pics. Took a few pics (unfortunately with a flash: especially the blue is in reality ever so slightly darker) to show him in all modes. Hope to be able to get a gallery together at Transtopia. Until then, these will have to do.

Robotmode

BW-Magnus_robot.jpg

Close-up of the head

BW-Magnus_face.jpg

Beastmode

BW-Magnus_beast.jpg

Jetmode

BW-Magnus_jet.jpg

And finally groundmode

BW-Magnus_ground.jpg

EDIT: Removing weird symbols and adding this pic of the gun:

BW-Magnus_gun.jpg

Since Magnus is supposed to be one of Cybetrons better soldiers, I fel the really needed a powerful gun. I took some inspiration from the original gun and a bit from Fort Max his gun.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice to see you finished it even tho it was slow going. Turned out well and the paint job looks really nice. Hope none of the injuries were too serious?

But should you do a slight variation on the name, Ultimate Magnus maybe? :tflaugh

Archived