Alt. Prime Deserves Not To Suck (so I did this)

Minion

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:eek

Looks great! My only concern is if it is a hasle to transform back to vehicle. I keep my Alts in robot mode, but like to have the option to transform them once and a while. But this does look as a mjor improvement.

Whoa!!!l! much better imo!!

Didn't really like it's original bot mode - wasn't even going to get it... but now, I'm having second thoughts... assuming it isn't too difficult to mod!

I'm getting Prime either way but if that can be done without gutting and cutting up a lot of the construction I'm all for it.

Very nice mod, and ingenuity. A shame Hasbro couldn't figure it out before hand.

Well done. Totally cool!!!!

Cant figure the top yet as i dont have my alt prime on me but the legs seem to be strait forward:

Mod_Preview_Comparison.jpg

1. Get rid of/shave off the black area (green outline)

2. Reposition the knee bit (yellow outline) by cutting it off and glueing back on further down

Definately makes his upper legs look more defined... which he was lacking before cos of all the bulk. Tell us how you did the top half dude!!! And more pics :)

Wow - I can't believe this got so much feedback! It's just a work in progress, so there's more to come and I wasn't planning a guide until then, but I'll answer for all I have so far.

Well done. Totally cool!!!!

Cant figure the top yet as i dont have my alt prime on me but the legs seem to be strait forward:

Mod_Preview_Comparison.jpg

1. Get rid of/shave off the black area (green outline)

2. Reposition the knee bit (yellow outline) by cutting it off and glueing back on further down

Definately makes his upper legs look more defined... which he was lacking before cos of all the bulk. Tell us how you did the top half dude!!! And more pics :)

You're right, but there's one more thing.  I guess this is a surprise to some, but the legs do extend.  I'll put this on another line and in caps to make it stick out.

THE LEGS DO EXTEND!

...but you will break the hips if you pull them down, so it was omitted from the instructions.  The trick is to bend the knees, which will pop the legs from their lock and then - after a click - pull the legs down.  One of the things I'm trying to do is shave the tabs that prevent the extension down so that it's not so risky to the toy.

Here are the hidden notches inside the leg.

post-5946-1145497986.jpg

This here is the real problem.  The tabs that hold his leg in place are far too strong and you can even see that the plastic is bulging outward from the spring being too strong.  The weak joint below his hip can be seen in the upper right part of this picture as well.

post-5946-1145497999.jpg

The hood is removable by first popping off the pins that hold it in place and then cutting a bit out of the plastic to make hooks.  I drilled a hole into the black piece of plastic on the underside of the hood so that the peg sticking out of the forearm will go into that hole to make it more stable.

post-5946-1145499070.jpgpost-5946-1145499044.jpg

There's also a bit sawed out further down to make room for the little extension I added to the chest piece to make it sit a bit more reliably.

I cut part of Energon Dirt Boss and glued it to the top of the check to make another set of hooks that will attach to those pins I just mentioned.  Any piece of plastic cut the right was can do the same job.

post-5946-1145499214.jpgpost-5946-1145499223.jpg

The shoulders were made to rotate by sawing off the plastic that prevented them from rotating.

post-5946-1145499680.jpg

To answer some of the other questions:

- The articulation is better

- The truck looks the same

- Anything else?

Please keep in mind this is a work in progress and there aren't any seats right now!  I'm trying to rotate them out of the way and keep them off Prime's arms.  There will be more later.

Thanks to everybody for the interest and making me type up what I have so far!

Archived