Mini Review of CD Hot Shot, Cybertron Downshift

JABoyle3875

Well, I found these babies at work today.....it pays to work at a Target. :)

First, Cybertron Defense Hot Shot.

Whoever designed the Cybertron Defense team needs a raise, or a nobel prize, or SOMETHING. This figure is THAT good, and continues CD Red alert's excellence.

Transformation is virtually identical to the regular Hot Shot model. The only differences are you have to pull his head down into position (in alt mode, it rests where the driver would be, looking to the front of the vehice......but is NOT noticeable as a robot part.), and to gain elbows, you have to pull the forearms down.

Detail? Holy sh*t, there's a lot of detail. A LOT. Great mold, but could use perhaps a bit of light color around the force key area, just to break up the monotony. Nice additions of robot-y looking parts on the visor. Even his sword has some nice detail!

Firepower? Don't piss this guy off........lots of it. The missle/recoiless rifle turns nicely in robot mode, and when activated in robot mode, makes him a touch taller than the original Hot Shot. The "biggest" problem I have with this figure is his shoulder missle racks.....the covers for them just hang there and are annoying, to me.

Surprisingly, especially given the in the package pics, he is bigger than he looks. I also have to give kudos for the fact that while in Alt mode, there are no obvious robot parts visible like other figures.....*cough*Energon Ironhide*cough*

Overall? 9/10. There's no "WTF" moment at all with him.

======

Second........Downshift! :) Otherwise known as Napoleon.

I call him Napoleon as a nickname because he is quite a bit shorter than the normal deluxe class figure...but makes up for it with attitude and firepower.

Every time I look at him in Alt mode, I hear the funky time travel music from Austin Powers 3 playing......;)

He also earns points for no robot parts shown in alt mode. AND, extra points for the ingenious integration of the force chip keyhole into the back windshield. Really makes it believable as a car, if you can get over the green paint color. ;) (But living in the neighborhood I do, I HAVE seen ghetto cruisers that color.) There's a nice rooftop texture that looks like the cars from that era, that kind of leathery feel.

Easy transformation, nothing too difficult, yet hides the robot very well. Force chip gimmick? Nice, and there's been many a time where I wish I could have a grappling claw/crusher come out of my radiator, in traffic. ;) Or guns sprouting out of my rear quarterpanels.

Robot mode has some very nice detail and paint apps. My Downshift has a TINY paint chip on his right knee, but you have to look hard, or have eyes of a hawk. Given the alt mode, the lack of special detail like in robot mode is a nice touch, I think.

Downsides? Well, the guns really only look good shoulder mounted, which I imagine many fans will do, as an homage to G1 Wheeljack. In his hands, they throw the look out of balance.

Final score? 9.1 out of 10.......I like him just a TEENSY bit more than CD Hot Shot, and I LOVE both figures. Both are HIGHLY RECCOMENDED.

post-2712-1138399475.jpg

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My SuperTarget for about 2 weeks had three Landmines on the deluxe pegs, then boom, these two, a Snarl and a Blurr popped up.

I'm not holding my breath for CD Scattorshot to show up soon there though, since we have 2 Evacs and 8 Mudflaps on our Voyager shelfspace.......

With the quality of CD Red alert and CD Hot Shot, I have to believe that CD Scattorshot will be awesome as well. The CD figures are my favorite Cybertron figures, save for a slight edge to Downshift.

Archived