G1 toys suck? WTF!

You don't buy G1 for articulation and playability if you are going to compare them to what we presently have.  Another thing to remember is that G1 was a mish mosh of bots from Diaclone and other sources that were pulled together to create a toy line.  Show accuracy?  Sorry, but it was a hand drawn cartoon back then.  You just can't expect the toys to match the toon in the way that Beast Wars or Energon did.

Buy G1 for nostalga or as a collectors piece.  If you aren't old enough to appreciate G1 as a toy you played with when you were young, or can't appreciate what G1 represents from a collector's point of view...then yes...you are probably wasting you money.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You don't buy G1 for articulation and playability if you are going to compare them to what we presently have.  Another thing to remember is that G1 was a mish mosh of bots from Diaclone and other sources that were pulled together to create a toy line.  Show accuracy?  Sorry, but it was a hand drawn cartoon back then.  You just can't expect the toys to match the toon in the way that Beast Wars or Energon did.

Buy G1 for nostalga or as a collectors piece.  If you aren't old enough to appreciate G1 as a toy you played with when you were young, or can't appreciate what G1 represents from a collector's point of view...then yes...you are probably wasting you money.

Oh I'm old enough to remember them from my childhood in fact back then I had all the seeker jets  I just remember them more fondly than they are :tfsad

Like I totally remember the cars being bigger...  or maybe it was just that my hand was smaller

Like I totally remember the cars being bigger...  or maybe it was just that my hand was smaller

You would have been one strange looking kid if you had adult sized hands as a child :eek

This thread is funny to read...... :tflaugh

I wouldn't say that G1 toys "suck" because that's.... well it's a bit too black-and-white for me. Neither would I say that the original TFs were "cutting-edge", however. For one thing, a lot of the original TF molds were leftovers that had already been around for as long as ten years in some cases.

One thing I do remember is that back in 1985 Transformers were HOT. They were like *the* cool toy to own. I remember a friend of mine who had like all of them and would never let anyone near them (we all had a friend like that... and if you were that friend then f*ck you :P). I drooled over Sunstreaker and Mirage and Optimus Prime and Megatron and Thrust and all of those guys. It wasn't because I was thinking "OMG THOSE TOYS ARE SO CUTTING-EDGE": it was because they were TRANSFORMERS and they were automatically awesome because of that. The only other time I can remember feeling that way about toys was in 1980 when Empire Strikes Back came out and Star Wars was EVERYTHING to a young boy.

But now I'm all grown up... and while I can look at those toys and remember how hypnotized I once was by them, I'm just not anymore. And I think that's okay.

Once the rose tinted glasses are removed the instant you become an adult, nothing from the past is the same as before.  The first G1 Prime is still fun to play with, but not as fun as Galaxy Force/Cybertron Op. Prime must be.  G1 is still alright, but after the delights of Energon and Binal Tech/Alternators, G1 really looks old and disappointing in comparsion.  Just shows that we're all getting old.  And imagination is a lost art these days.

Tony. 

you know what did instill that sens of awe and G1 wonder 20th anniversary Prime

I still feel like an 8 year old when I pick it up

you know what did instill that sens of awe and G1 wonder   20th anniversary Prime

I agree. I get sick of all the "kids don't have imaginations anymore" crap. It's just projections we're making onto them because *we've* grown up. Spend a day with my kids and you'll be thinking "where do they come up with this stuff?" My oldest son is the king of crossover stories -- he made up something about Bionicle Transformer Power Rangers and had this whole scenario worked out in his head. He's making up stuff all the time.

The problem *we* have is that our minds have grown more complex, and it takes more to "wow" us. That's not a bad thing. It just means that maybe we have to look somewhere besides kids' toys to recapture that "wow" feeling.

I'd probably have been really impressed with my G1 starscream if I'd been tetrahydracanabinized    but I gave that up  :inhrf

you know what did instill that sens of awe and G1 wonder   20th anniversary Prime

I agree, that toy alone is what got me back into buying transformers. I remember looking in a random magazine and there was optimus, chest wide, matrix glowing and I was like: "HOLY CRAP!"

I went down to chinatown the next day and was like

"Yo! This new Optimus Prime toy is coming out. Do you know anything about it?"

"I have 6 coming tomorrow, do you want one? It'll be about $160"

"HELLS YES DUMMY YOU!!"

And best of all...it wasn't just me, after my brothers saw it they each bought one, and so did one of my best friends. Masterpiece Prime brought back the Transformer fan in me. Then the alternators came and I am now a LOT poorer.

I agree. I get sick of all the "kids don't have imaginations anymore" crap. It's just projections we're making onto them because *we've* grown up. Spend a day with my kids and you'll be thinking "where do they come up with this stuff?" My oldest son is the king of crossover stories -- he made up something about Bionicle Transformer Power Rangers and had this whole scenario worked out in his head. He's making up stuff all the time.

The problem *we* have is that our minds have grown more complex, and it takes more to "wow" us. That's not a bad thing. It just means that maybe we have to look somewhere besides kids' toys to recapture that "wow" feeling.

:pfx

:tfsad

Archived