Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

TFormers Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Maybe Hasbro is the knockoff?

Recommended Posts

Hi guys!

 

I have been mulling over this Alt. Prowl thing all day now. It has already been beaten to death, I know... but I am still on the fence about him.

 

I am by no means a G1 purist - well, actually I used to be - but the newer figures with the added realism and articulation have swayed my opinion. I actually prefer the newer ones to the old. (I have been turned to the dark side!) :clap

 

However... has anyone noticed the similarity of this:

 

http://www.transformertoys.co.uk/image.php...NLLKkhXsq4FAA==

 

To this?

 

http://TFormers.com/ig.php?mode=view&album...ize=800&start=0

 

Maybe the prowl is the KO ths time, and not Happy Well toys?

 

Just a thought...

-Joe

and perhaps hasbro stole the Armada megatron and Quake molds from them too ;) and Macross pinched the VF1 design :P

Meh, I don't care. I wanted both anyway. :)

  • Author

And maybe... just maybe -

 

Hasbro owns Happy Well, and pockets all the money anyways? :tfmad

Since we're just seeing Prowl now, is it safe to assume that Hastak sold the design before their own toy came about, and should we be expecting an Alt SUV now?

How are licensed toys knock-offs...? :tfhuh

I think he's talking about the general design / transformation. And I agree that they are suspiciously similar. However, my guess is that the HasTak one was designed first. We're only seeing Prowl now, but we have no idea how long the design has been around for.

  • Author

It seems as though sarcasm doesn't bode well when typed. :tftongue

 

I was merely stating that it is strange that we see a Happy Well prototype about a month back, and now we see a new HASBRO Alt. Prowl with a very similar robot scheme.

 

I was being rhetorical, in a "which came first" sort of way.

It seems as though sarcasm doesn't bode well when typed. :tftongue

 

I was merely stating that it is strange that we see a Happy Well prototype about a month back, and now we see a new HASBRO Alt. Prowl with a very similar robot scheme.

 

I was being rhetorical, in a "which came first" sort of way.

You forgot to use the sarcasm tags...

I think he's talking about the general design / transformation. And I agree that they are suspiciously similar. However, my guess is that the HasTak one was designed first. We're only seeing Prowl now, but we have no idea how long the design has been around for.

I seem to recall it being mentioned that HasTak had prototypes of a number of cars for which they didn't yet have licenses - such as Bumblebee as a VW.

 

Doing this isn't a bad idea, it can help with the licensing if you have a physical example to show the car company representatives. And to avoid losing out on the expense of building the prototype, it's likely when they build the prototypes they take into consideration the overall shape/style type of that car and have back-up cars that could use the exact same transformation scheme - so the entire exercise isn't futile. For instance, they could have built the Viper prototype, and been unable to secure licensing from DaimlerChrysler - in this case they could have quickily flipped that design into the Honda S2000, as overall the cars are very similar in shape (long hood, convertible, etc.).

 

Considering the less than secure IP environment of China - it doesn't surprise me that we're seeing KO manufacturers now using designs that we haven't even seen in the "real" line yet - probably because the legal wrangling for the official licencing requirements for lines coming from two companys (Hasbro and Takara) in various countries is more time consuming.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sign Up For The TNI Newsletter And Have The News Delivered To You!
SOCIAL NETWORKS

ToyNewsI MarvelousNews Tformers JediInsider
Entertainment News International (ENI) is the oldest, largest, and most popular news source for adult toy collectors (kidults) all around the world.

Get the scoop every day on all the popular culture action figures, comics, games, movies, toys, and more!

Contact and Support
Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy


All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Please Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.