New g1 combiners that would have been amazing

Amokulusprime

I don't know if I'd say "overwhelmed," there are only slightly more Decepticon/Predacon gestalts than there are Autobot/Maximal ones. If we look at G1* alone, it's evenly split with 11 each.

Autobots

Computron

Defensor

Guard City

Landcross

Raiden

Road Caesar

Sixbuilder

Sixliner

Sixtrain

Sixturbo

Sixwing

Decepticons

Abominus

Battle Gaia

Bruticus

Devastator

Dinoking

King Poseidon**

Lio Kaiser

Menasor

Monstructor

Piranacon**

Predaking

^11 per side

But I know what you mean about the goodies often outnumbering the baddies though. Especially now that Hasbro insists on putting a freaking Bumblebee in EVERY assortment, and guys like TF Prime RiD Vehicon is shortpacked. Imagine if it were the other way around... TF Prime would be so much cooler IMHO!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Original G1 only, not including reissue variants like Verserker Sixwing

**Yes, I've counted King Poseidon and Piranacon separately because they are technically different characters

You left out Superion.

yup, and my point was that the Autobots SHOULD feel like they're overwhelmed, not that they were overwhelmed, the powers are either divided too evenly, or skewed wayy too much in the good guys favor. Seriously look at Car Robots, with how many Autobots, and Autobot combiners that were on earth at the time, the Predacons should have been defeated and captured by the end of the first episode.

The only series that has presented a "good guys are vastly overwhelmed" standpoint would be Beast Machines, which was literally the only thing good about the show, it was too bad they screwed up the character designs, and wrote the show so horribly (technorganic? Really? And Cybertron was once an earth-like world? Nope) that it made that aspect completely unenjoyable.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You left out Superion.

homer-doh-animated-gif-i13.gif

yup, and my point was that the Autobots SHOULD feel like they're overwhelmed, not that they were overwhelmed, the powers are either divided too evenly, or skewed wayy too much in the good guys favor. Seriously look at Car Robots, with how many Autobots, and Autobot combiners that were on earth at the time, the Predacons should have been defeated and captured by the end of the first episode.

The only series that has presented a "good guys are vastly overwhelmed" standpoint would be Beast Machines, which was literally the only thing good about the show, it was too bad they screwed up the character designs, and wrote the show so horribly (technorganic? Really? And Cybertron was once an earth-like world? Nope) that it made that aspect completely unenjoyable.

Beast Wars is almost evenly divided between Maximals and Predacons. In Japan almost all Beast Wars toys could be collected either individually or in versus sets, which shows how evenly balanced the factions were. :) I agree with you about Beast Machines - it did show the goodies as being overwhelmed, but not necessarily done well, especially in Season 1 where there was just LOTS of running away from Vehicons. "Next time on Beast Machines: We run away from more Vehicons... again!"

Armadaverse and Animated also seemed more evenly balanced out. Movieverse would be better balanced if not for the endless Bumblebee and Optimus Primes they keep pumping out. :( Transformers Prime also shows the Autobots being overwhelmed with their use of Vehicons too.

But yeah... toy companies believe that "hero" toys sell better than "villain" toys, so they tend to produce more heroes than villains. And Transformers isn't quite as bad as some other toy lines. Next time you're in a toy aisle, have a look at Batman figures and count how many Batman toys there are on pegs versus say Bane or Joker or any other villain. Although it's been getting worse since Hasbro went Bumblebee crazy. *sigh*

Archived